A&H

NEW RULE : Goal Kick , Question

Joe Robinson

Hi,

i Have a question regarding the new rule, now you can take a team can take a goal kick and pass inside there own box, the question is can the other team come into the box was the kepper has played it or does the defender need to leave the box before the attackers can tackle the defender

Cheers

The Referee Store
Hi,

i Have a question regarding the new rule, now you can take a team can take a goal kick and pass inside there own box, the question is can the other team come into the box was the kepper has played it or does the defender need to leave the box before the attackers can tackle the defender

Cheers
Ball is in play when it is kicked and clearly moves. That's it
Interestingly, I had a L5 ref who called play back last week because the ball didn't leave the goal area. I mentioned at fulltime this wrong, but he was quite adamant

This ^ ^ ^

Any attacking player who is outside the penalty area before the goal kick is taken can enter the area and challenge for it as soon as it is kicked. :)

Interestingly, I had a L5 ref who called play back last week because the ball didn't leave the goal area. I mentioned at fulltime this wrong, but he was quite adamant

That's poor. In the summer a referee told me that attackers could not enter the area until the ball left it.Which, if you think about it would be a guaranteed way to win a match once 1-0 up!:):p

This is why I think you should have to pass a test on the laws of the game before you can register each season.

Nothing fancy, just an online one so you have the laws open next to you, but it should cover any laws changes for he coming season.

since the OP has been answered I'm going to take this OT a bit sorry.

We have a 25 metre rule for U12, first year of full size field. It's simple, on a goal kick, opponent must stay 25m away from goal line untill the Ball has been touched by a second defender. It's simply to encourage playing out from the back. Coaches (yes of park football U12) take advantage of this and teach their defenders to not touch the ball once in play when they are winning. I have been asked a few times by junior referees if they can caution the defender for "time wasting" . Well no. Since the ball is in play you can't. "So how do I stop them from doing it?" Yell out play the ball or I'll let them come in. And if they don't play it, tell the opponents they can challenge.

This is why I think you should have to pass a test on the laws of the game before you can register each season.

Nothing fancy, just an online one so you have the laws open next to you, but it should cover any laws changes for he coming season.
We have a compulsory attendance pre-season seminar each year that covers law changes.

We have a compulsory attendance pre-season seminar each year that covers law changes.
We have a compulsory fill in a form and pay the CFA £25 and that is it.

As far as I am aware there is nothing in place to make sure referees are up to date with the laws unless they are on the promotion scheme, so where I am it is quite common to come across people who haven't done a test on the laws of the game in 10+ years, so there is no way of verifying whether they are up to date on any changes etc.

The only exception was that every referee in Kent (and I assume the rest of the UK) had to attend briefings on sin bins before the start of the season. My leagues all said they would not appoint you to any games unless you had attended, but I don't know whether this is something that all leagues enforced, or given the lack of referees is enforced that strictly in any case

Maybe every two or three years, even if it's open book. I get the feeling some of the refs on the downgrade haven't opened the book for some time

We have a compulsory fill in a form and pay the CFA £25 and that is it.

As far as I am aware there is nothing in place to make sure referees are up to date with the laws unless they are on the promotion scheme, so where I am it is quite common to come across people who haven't done a test on the laws of the game in 10+ years, so there is no way of verifying whether they are up to date on any changes etc.

The only exception was that every referee in Kent (and I assume the rest of the UK) had to attend briefings on sin bins before the start of the season. My leagues all said they would not appoint you to any games unless you had attended, but I don't know whether this is something that all leagues enforced, or given the lack of referees is enforced that strictly in any case

Same in Middlesex

In Somerset our attendance (Sin Bin training) wasn't compulsory.

The presentations were caveated by saying that anybody who "****s up" around the Sin Bins and who didn't attend the training would be removed from fixtures though ....

This ^ ^ ^

Any attacking player who is outside the penalty area before the goal kick is taken can enter the area and challenge for it as soon as it is kicked. :)

Or if they were inside the penalty area and the defending team took it before they had a chance to leave they can immediately challenge once it has been played. Now the same as a quick free kick, if they take it before opponents have the chance to be the correct distance away it is their own bad luck if it goes wrong.

Or if they were inside the penalty area and the defending team took it before they had a chance to leave they can immediately challenge once it has been played. Now the same as a quick free kick, if they take it before opponents have the chance to be the correct distance away it is their own bad luck if it goes wrong.

Not being funny Rusty but I'll have to double check that because I don't believe that's right.
If they're still in the penalty area then they can't touch the ball or interfere/challenge for it until it's left the area - is how I understood it (?).

Not being funny Rusty but I'll have to double check that because I don't believe that's right.
If they're still in the penalty area then they can't touch the ball or interfere/challenge for it until it's left the area - is how I understood it (?).

The wording is a bit confusing but my understanding is the first sentence is key, that is the new bit as shown by it being underlined. The second sentence is irrelevent as the first says they are allowed to be in there, and they haven't entered the field of play before the ball is in play. Like I say confusing, but I'm sure I've seen a written explanation for this somewhere.

1566322976201.png

The wording is a bit confusing but my understanding is the first sentence is key, that is the new bit as shown by it being underlined. The second sentence is irrelevent as the first says they are allowed to be in there, and they haven't entered the field of play before the ball is in play. Like I say confusing, but I'm sure I've seen a written explanation for this somewhere.

View attachment 3665

Thanks for the quick reference guide. I'm too slow at looking stuff up. Lol.
I read it the same as I did originally ie any opponents outside the area when the kick is taken are free to run in and challenge after it's kicked and moves. Those inside it however, can't do so until it's left the area.
Seems pretty clear to me ( or at least it did). :confused:

Did he go all Prince Charming on you @Big Cat 😎

View attachment 3665
This was also covered in a circular from IFAB due to confusion.... FB_IMG_1566326004883.jpg
And also by email from ifab:
Screenshot_20190609_144702.png

Reactions: Kes

View attachment 3665

It think answer James received is pretty clear now isn't it.

Oppo SHOULD be outside the area but if they are not, that's OK as long as they don't play the ball while it is in the area.

Back