A&H

New to the whistle

The Referee Store
Just started and 1st game Saturday doing U13 girls game how harsh are you with cards.
Welcome to the madness that is refereeing. Others may disagree but cards are a last resort at this level unless its violent conduct or serious foul play. No one a expecting you to be giving yellows like its a PL match. Have empathy with the game and with the players.

This is NOT to say that you don't use your cards of course! Just appreciate that a bit of leniency is expected at this level and If you think one of the players is getting close to a yellow then talk to her. You will soon learn that refereeing is about managing situations before it leads to cards, especially at youth level like u13s. If you think a player is close to you giving her a yellow for persistent infringement for example, then tell her. You're publically giving her the opportunity to save herself from a yellow and she and her manager will appreciate it. Youve managed the situation.

Serious incidents like violent conduct, serious foul play and offensive/insulting/abusive language must be dealt with accordingly. But its unlikely you'll be in that situation. Do your best and enjoy it.

Welcome to the madness that is refereeing. Others may disagree but cards are a last resort at this level unless its violent conduct or serious foul play. No one a expecting you to be giving yellows like its a PL match. Have empathy with the game and with the players.

This is NOT to say that you don't use your cards of course! Just appreciate that a bit of leniency is expected at this level and If you think one of the players is getting close to a yellow then talk to her. You will soon learn that refereeing is about managing situations before it leads to cards, especially at youth level like u13s. If you think a player is close to you giving her a yellow for persistent infringement for example, then tell her. You're publically giving her the opportunity to save herself from a yellow and she and her manager will appreciate it. Youve managed the situation.

Serious incidents like violent conduct, serious foul play and offensive/insulting/abusive language must be dealt with accordingly. But its unlikely you'll be in that situation. Do your best and enjoy it.
Thanks this is helpful I am picking up any games I can from 11 through to OA so just needed to know tolerance levels.

One thing I’d bear in mind with players at this age is that they won’t be in full control of their bodies yet, have a lower skill level and can be eager at times. All the above can result in a few kicked shins and late tackles, none of which are likely to be intentional.

I don’t recall carding anyone under the age of 15.

Follow the as said above however unfortunately sometimes you will get kids that do try and take lumps out of each other in 60 games of youth football ive given 3 cards - 1 at the weekend for a player booting the same player twice down the same wing after a warning not really trying to play the ball.

One thing I’d bear in mind with players at this age is that they won’t be in full control of their bodies yet, have a lower skill level and can be eager at times. All the above can result in a few kicked shins and late tackles, none of which are likely to be intentional.

I don’t recall carding anyone under the age of 15.
I don't recall carding anyone under 15 either in my first couple of seasons, not done any u15 or below middles this season, and it's quite rare I give a card in u16, so there's definitely a difference.

I don't recall carding anyone under 15 either in my first couple of seasons, not done any u15 or below middles this season, and it's quite rare I give a card in u16, so there's definitely a difference.
I did an u16 girls game pre season. I think there were 4 fouls.

U13’s girls to open age? Total contrast that and as you’re new Id suggest to stick to one or the other as the way you manage the different ages will be different. Good luck and make sure you enjoy it

U13’s girls to open age? Total contrast that and as you’re new Id suggest to stick to one or the other as the way you manage the different ages will be different. Good luck and make sure you enjoy it
This game is more to get something this weekend whereas OA is through a Leauge recommended by Ref who did my course.
For now happy to have a bit of variety keeps things interesting.

Agree cards are rare at 14U and below--the younger, the rarer.

Did a 16U game where a girl totally clattered an opponent from behind at full speed. Nothing vicious, just completely out of control. Simple caution, right? But those aren't common, so I was very slow and gentle, explaining she had to be more careful, I knew she wasn't trying to hurt anyone, but those are the kind of plays that can get people hurt. So, I get tears from the girl--obviously her first caution. And shortly thereafter, mom goes over to my AR and tells him that he should talk to me because I'm being really mean. Sigh.

Agree with the above - and you might have a quiet game - until something happens.

U13-14 girls is the kind of game where there might be one big decision - like a DOGSO or penalty call.

Then it’s important you know your cards - is it red or DOGSO-PK-downgrade yellow... and sell it. Whatever you decide when the big moment comes - yes or no - sell it, don’t be shy, if it’s pointing to the spot or “cutting the grass” for no - don’t be shy - be confident so everyone follows:)

I move to Bristol in a fortnight. Shall I bring my cap and slippers to ref in?
No sliding tackles, South of Watford Gap these days. Seen it in an IFAB circular that nobody ever reads. Cheating perfectly acceptable however ;)

Last edited:
Don't go into any game with the assumptions that I should give fewer or more cards. Apply them as you see fit and required as per the context of that game and that moment.

True that lower age group have fewer cards but that is because they generally need less and not that we should give less. If you only give cards for VC or SFP, then you may find that the reason you have to give one for a CV/SFP is that you did not give the caution for aggressive attitude when you should have.

Don't go into any game with the assumptions that I should give fewer or more cards. Apply them as you see fit and required as per the context of that game and that moment.

True that lower age group have fewer cards but that is because they generally need less and not that we should give less. If you only give cards for VC or SFP, then you may find that the reason you have to give one for a CV/SFP is that you did not give the caution for aggressive attitude when you should have.
Not sure you'd find a referee that doesn't assume that they'll need to give less cards in a girls u13 game than in an OA game. That assumption is based on fact.

Obviously I'd advocate giving a yellow card for AA if its required and you haven't been able to manage a situation like this. But the emphasis is on learning to manage situations like these with your personal skills. I dont agree that we should not give less cards because its u13 girls. The games are much easier to manage without giving 12 year old girls cards (without the risks of SFP or VC lets be honest), and we should use that for the benefit of all.

But if theres no other course of action suitable due to the nature of the AA then obviously get the yellow out. I dont do much junior football but I've never seen it. Done a number of u16/u18 women's games and I could've left my whistle in the car. Done some AR appointments in the womens NPL and seen nothing but low level stuff, never seen the ref get his cards out. Coaches a different story.

Last edited:
Not sure you'd find a referee that doesn't assume that they'll need to give less cards in a girls u13 game than in an OA game. That assumption is based on fact.

Obviously I'd advocate giving a yellow card for AA if its required and you haven't been able to manage a situation like this. But the emphasis is on learning to manage situations like these with your personal skills. I dont agree that we should not give less cards because its u13 girls. The games are much easier to manage without giving 12 year old girls cards (without the risks of SFP or VC lets be honest), and we should use that for the benefit of all.

But if theres no other course of action suitable due to the nature of the AA then obviously get the yellow out. I dont do much junior football but I've never seen it. Done a number of u16/u18 women's games and I could've left my whistle in the car. Done some AR appointments in the womens NPL and seen nothing but low level stuff, never seen the ref get his cards out. Coaches a different story.
Am not sure if we are on a different page here. You say assume to give less cards in a U13 game because they are easier to manage. Would you the same for a AA game that is easy to manage? I'd assume so. That concept is independent of age.

My point is, yes, for easier games you give less card. That is very clearly very different to saying for younger age groups you should give less cards. The latter statement is misleading to newer or younger referees.

I dont assume that OA games are easy to manage. The concept is definitely specific to age. U13 girls, OA....huge difference in all facets of the game.

I do believe you should give less cards in younger age groups. I agree that it could be misleading to a new/young referee, hence me trying to explain, which I admit I could've done very poorly (not an easy thing to explain). But that doesn't alter the fact that I do believe that you should give less cards in younger age group football for many reasons. Not to be confused with "not giving cards" because I dont believe that. Many instances where a yellow card would be appropriate in an OA game can be managed by educating a 12 year old girl. Something which will no doubt be appreciated by all.

To conclude. I know there is less cards at 12 year old girl level than open age and I also believe there should be less. I too understand and agree they are different concepts, we just won't agree on them and thats ok.

I always think of it as "you are less likely to require a card at lower age groups". The threshold remains locked at the same level, but the amount of incidents that breach that threshold is generally likely to be lower.

Back