A&H

New York City v New York Red Bull

If it was an attempt to play the ball but it wasn't genuine, would that make it a red?

Well he wasn't very close to it was he but suppose what has saved him is still a fair bit for the attacker to do to say it was DOGSO but you could defiantly say there in argument for excessive force.

The Referee Store
Well he wasn't very close to it was he but suppose what has saved him is still a fair bit for the attacker to do to say it was DOGSO but you could defiantly say there in argument for excessive force.
The point i was making was that its best stick to the wording the law uses and drop the word 'genuine' when describing it. All it takes for DOGSO to be a caution only is an 'attempt to play the ball'. No need to qualify that with anything else like genuine, visible, clear, obvious etc etc. If/when the laws add more criteria for the attempt then we can consider them.
Other reason for a send off of course can not be discounted.

The point i was making was that its best stick to the wording the law uses and drop the word 'genuine' when describing it. All it takes for DOGSO to be a caution only is an 'attempt to play the ball'. No need to qualify that with anything else like genuine, visible, clear, obvious etc etc. If/when the laws add more criteria for the attempt then we can consider them.
Other reason for a send off of course can not be discounted.

As I recall, the initial interpretations were that it couldn't be an attempt unless there was an actual chance to get the ball, and that softened so that anything with the feet is effectively considered an attempt on the ball unless it is blatantly not an attempt on the ball. (I'd take a wild guess that when IFAB adopted it that there were different views within IFAB as to what it really meant and where the line was supposed to be drawn.) Essentially, what "soccer wants" in the PA seems to be that DOGSO is caution unless it is obviously a cynical foul (or a handball--there is some irony that as we make more clear that deliberate handball only kinda-sorta means deliberate, we still want to send off all handball DOGSOs, even when they are clearly unintended while we want to turn a blind eye to physical fouls calculated to deny a goal so long as there is some pretense of an attempt to play the ball ).

Man what away to throw your assistant under the bus.
Not sure how the ref thought he had a better position than the AR, even if he did to allow a quick throw after that was asking for it.
The remainder of that match must have been fun. Credibility = gone

This is a classic case of seeing something has gone wrong, keeping quiet (not doing anything about it) hoping nothing will come of it. It works most times. But this time, sh!t hit the fan, in a big way.

The other more common one is when you signal the wrong direction (TI or foul) and the wrong team goes for the restart.

from 5:30 is the referee and assistant's comms for the throw/corner decision

Very interesting.
AR was far too assertive and to flag corner after the ref had said throw. I take back my previous statement.
Less caffeine for that AR before matches. He was far too hyped up

Very interesting.
AR was far too assertive and to flag corner after the ref had said throw. I take back my previous statement.
Less caffeine for that AR before matches. He was far too hyped up

the ref didn't give a quick decision though and didn't seem, at least initially, confident and decisive when he did, in that scenario where everyone around will be watching and waiting on a decision, i don't think the AR does much wrong.

Back