A&H

World Cup New Zealand V Norway

Mr Dean

RefChat Addict
What do we think of the referee announcing the VAR decision to the audience?

The referee announced to the stadium that the decision was a penalty kick for handball after an on field review. Personally, I don't think this added much to the game because it's already obvious when a penalty kick is awarded; it would be more useful to hear the conversation between ref and VAR to understand why it was handball - e.g. was it considered deliberate handball or unnatural position handball?

The Referee Store
It was literally just referee shouting that the decision is a penalty. Pointless. Hopefully throughout the tournament we see more examples of decisions being explained

What was there to explain? For the most part, the announcements are a solution in search of a problem. I'm quite dubious that the ones that could really use a meaningful explanation are going to get anything more detailed than what we just saw. (Perhaps if there is something in the APP the cursory explanation might be mildly useful.)

We're a long way away from open mikes for the VAR and R.

"After a video review, I have been told to award a penalty, which I still don't believe should be a penalty as the defender is clearly trying to make her body as small as possible and not handle the ball"...

That's what I think she should have said... ;)

Yeah, it's a good example of where just a little bit more information could actually have helped.

There are two aspects to this particular decision: is it handball and is it in the PA? What I'd want from an announcement is confirmation that both aspects have been checked, that would actually add some value. Or explain why a caution is/isn't required - simply announcing the decision and then administering sanctions and restarting play as you otherwise would is just adding another pointless delay.

As I've said before, IFAB's insistence on pretending they have to come up with everything from scratch is the most irritating aspect of this. While NFL officiating dose take a bit of a hammering for quality and consistency of decisions, no one is in any doubt what the officials think they've seen after any given play.

Back