A&H

Newcastle Penalty

Darius

RefChat Addict
So it appears Newcastle have scored a penalty, had it ruled out and instead of a retake it's been given as a free kick to Burton a few yards away from spot.

This is all I know. Any speculation as to what's happened?

My instinct says there was a free kick for offside but why would the AR let him set it up, score and then tell the Ref?!?!?

I can't fathom it

The Referee Store
Encroachment by Dwight Gayle (from a picture I've seen it looks clearcut) but the penalty was scored so an IDFK would appear the wrong restart. It should've been taken.

Perhaps someone else was identified as the kicker to the referee and then Matt Ritchie stepped up and took it instead?

Wouldn't be where he pointed it though!

Sky Presenters are loving it. Good to see they've taken on board Neville and Carraghers show

Referee has apologised for the error in law, as he incorrectly gave an indirect free kick for encroachment. Should have been a retake of the pen! We all can have a bad day!

Referee misapplied law - PGMOL
Confusion surrounding the decision was eventually settled when Professional Game Match Officials Limited (PGMOL), the body which oversees refereeing, issued a post-match statement about the penalty incident.

"In Wednesday evening's EFL Championship game between Newcastle United and Burton Albion, referee Keith Stroud awarded Newcastle a penalty in the 29th minute.

"As Matt Ritchie took the kick, Dwight Gayle encroached in the penalty area. An indirect free-kick was awarded to Burton, but the Laws of the Game state that that the penalty kick should have been retaken.

"Unfortunately the referee has misapplied the law. Keith and his team are understandably upset at the lapse in concentration and apologise for the mistake."

That's a fairly awful mistake to make. Wasn't something similar the reason the last few minutes of a match famously had to be replayed? I wonder if Newcastle would have been pushing for the following 61 minutes to be replayed if they hadn't gone on to win the match?

Many years ago I gave a retake in exactly this situation and was called a 'Cheating ****' by Mr gold teeth Jaws the ugliest meanest away centre half you have ever seen, who i promptly dismissed. :(
Got a call late that night from the away manager saying he'd checked the law and I was wrong and it should of been a iDFK to defending team. The game had gone and i never checked always believing that he'd checked correctly... I can now finish refereeing with a smile on my face knowing that the only serious error i made in Law (made hundreds of errors of judgements) was actually correct!!!! BTW, i've sent him the clipping from the PMGOL to rub his face in my gloating!!! :asshat::asshat::asshat:

It's a tough one because they technically get a second chance to score. Logic says you punish it the opposite way as with most decisions!

Back