A&H

Newport v Bradford keeper handball

I had a discussion with some people on a League 2 forum on Faceache.

I hadn’t seen the incident so couldn’t say whether it was DOGSO or not, but there are a lot of football fans out there who genuinely think that it’s an automatic red card in the goalkeeper handles the ball outside of the area.

I am always amazed how fans of a sport can know so little about the laws

In fairness I was one of those people as usually in these situations, when the keeper handles it on purpose its to stop a promising situation which of course in the referees world usually results in the red card coming out so I can understand fans assuming if the keeper handles outside the box it's an automatic red card.

The Referee Store
In fairness I was one of those people as usually in these situations, when the keeper handles it on purpose its to stop a promising situation which of course in the referees world usually results in the red card coming out so I can understand fans assuming if the keeper handles outside the box it's an automatic red card.
I do hope there aren't any referees showing red cards for stopping promising attacks...

Why did the ref show the keeper the yellow card twice? I checked to see if 36 was booked for impeding the attacker, he wasn't.

If you're the attacking team you want a red, if you're the defending team you're happy with a yellow. For me, a free kick and no yellow. It's obvious it's an error due to the lines on the pitch.
Educated guess: initially the yellow card in hand to calm defenders' and goalkeeper's concerns re a possible red, then used to confirm the caution.

Educated guess: initially the yellow card in hand to calm defenders' and goalkeeper's concerns re a possible red, then used to confirm the caution.
Exactly that, he initially thought about showing it quickly but realised he had a sh1t show to deal with so put it back down. Calmed it all down then showed it formally, really good refereeing.

I do hope there aren't any referees showing red cards for stopping promising attacks...

I think your being slightly pedantic with what I was saying to be honest. We all know the only times(apart from this unusual situation) a keeper would handle outside of their area is to stop a promising situation/potential goal scoring situation so obviously this usually means a DOGSO therefore the red card comes out and this is probably the reason why fans automatically assume it's a straight red everytime it happens when a keeper handles outside the box. Would of loved for this to happen in the PL and see how many pundits would of said it has to be a red because the keeper handled outside the box on purpose.

Needless to say the Newport manager totally disagreed with the decision and reckons the ref wasn't following the laws of the game...

I had a similar situation to this in a recent game. Attacking team couldn’t understand why it wasn’t an automatic red card and at the end of the game the Coach wanted a forensic examination and explanation of my decision. It was so off putting I had to mention it to the Referee Development Officer who just happened to be at the ground and after working through the considerations we were able confirm the correct decision (FK and yellow to Keeper) was made. At the time I took a bit longer to make my decision about the yellow as I wanted to see where other defenders were positioned and ponder my decision for a moment before pulling the card out. I guess this is the difference between top flight referees and the rest of us. They seem to have oodles of time and usually think through the issues in very quick time. I wasn’t even thinking about managing team expectations while I was analysing the horror of what I had just seen. 😁

I think your being slightly pedantic with what I was saying to be honest. We all know the only times(apart from this unusual situation) a keeper would handle outside of their area is to stop a promising situation/potential goal scoring situation so obviously this usually means a DOGSO therefore the red card comes out and this is probably the reason why fans automatically assume it's a straight red everytime it happens when a keeper handles outside the box.
Stopping a Promising Attack (SPA) and DOGSO are completely different. SPA is a YC Offence and DOGSO is usually (not always) a RC offence.

I had a discussion with some people on a League 2 forum on Faceache.

I hadn’t seen the incident so couldn’t say whether it was DOGSO or not, but there are a lot of football fans out there who genuinely think that it’s an automatic red card in the goalkeeper handles the ball outside of the area.

I am always amazed how fans of a sport can know so little about the laws
And not just the fans - Mark Hughes praised the referee for showing "common sense" :rolleyes:

I had a similar situation to this in a recent game. Attacking team couldn’t understand why it wasn’t an automatic red card and at the end of the game the Coach wanted a forensic examination and explanation of my decision. It was so off putting I had to mention it to the Referee Development Officer who just happened to be at the ground and after working through the considerations we were able confirm the correct decision (FK and yellow to Keeper) was made. At the time I took a bit longer to make my decision about the yellow as I wanted to see where other defenders were positioned and ponder my decision for a moment before pulling the card out. I guess this is the difference between top flight referees and the rest of us. They seem to have oodles of time and usually think through the issues in very quick time. I wasn’t even thinking about managing team expectations while I was analysing the horror of what I had just seen. 😁
Been there.

Years ago - U14s or such like - GK fumbled the ball twice ended up picking it up outside area, but right near goal line. no on near him.

Coach afterwards insisted his 'mate' was a referee and he had told him GK handling outside PA was ALWAYS a red card:rolleyes:

He wasn't aggressive so I did try to explain there are 7 red card offences and what he did wasn't one of them, but he wasn't having it!

Would yuou try to get something done about them if you were ref at that game at that level?

Presume referee would be there 2 hours before KO, so should have been time?
To be fair this should have been sorted before the referee put his key in the ignition to travel to the game..

My opinion is the pitch does not conform with law 1 and the game should not have started. Other clubs that share with rugby usually paint the rugby lines green.

Give me half a chance...
:p

Sorry - got a game to go to!

Given it was in that state when he arrived - are you trying to get something done about it, taking advice from EFL?

Genuinely curious as to what you have been advised to do at the higher levels - thanks

Would yuou try to get something done about them if you were ref at that game at that level?

Presume referee would be there 2 hours before KO, so should have been time?
Football League they would be there way more than 2 hours before. I would guess the EFL have made a decision on that pitch, if they have said it is OK it isn't really down to the match officials. What I don't know is whether it is always that unclear or whether it was a one off for that game due to an unknown issue of some kind.

Too many doubts to go red here.

The ball might well run behind, is it a 3g pitch so the ball will roll quicker.

Agree about the lines though, very confusing.

Back