A&H

No booking?

The Referee Store
Why would you book him? He knows the ball is going out of play, and doesn't want to waste someone's time having to fetch another.
He hasn't tried to gain any playing advantage out of it, and if anything he leaves the opponent in a better match position with a DFK than they would have been for the throw-in.
It's not unsporting, even if it's unusual, and adding a card would be excessive for something that is innocent. Especially if the game has been clean and well-tempered.

Why would you book him? He knows the ball is going out of play, and doesn't want to waste someone's time having to fetch another.
He hasn't tried to gain any playing advantage out of it, and if anything he leaves the opponent in a better match position with a DFK than they would have been for the throw-in.
It's not unsporting, even if it's unusual, and adding a card would be excessive for something that is innocent. Especially if the game has been clean and well-tempered.

Fair point.

Picking and choosing when to apply the law in a situation so blatant is a can of worms. Do you book the arsenal player that does the same if the ball isn’t going out? If yes how do you explain that when you gave the other team a pass?

I agree that it’s not unsporting and he’s gained no advantage by doing it but when you’re seeing players being booked in ball to hand scenarios, the above doesn’t help.

Fair point.

Picking and choosing when to apply the law in a situation so blatant is a can of worms. Do you book the arsenal player that does the same if the ball isn’t going out? If yes how do you explain that when you gave the other team a pass?

I agree that it’s not unsporting and he’s gained no advantage by doing it but when you’re seeing players being booked in ball to hand scenarios, the above doesn’t help.
HB does not attract a sanction unless it's justified in Law.... typically SPA or DOGSO. Very occasionally, lack of respect for the game
This incident is very odd. Maybe the player was confused for some reason. Nevertheless, no card required

Fair point.

Because one affects the game and the opponent in a negative way, and has no sporting reason to be done; the other only helps the opponent and is done out of a sporting spirit.
The law is being applied exactly the same in both cases. DFK for handball offence, caution for USB/SPA where it happens, no card where it isn't necessary.
Tell the players not to stick their hand where they should expect it to be hit by the ball, then? Get referees not to show cards for offences that don't merit them?
We know that incorrect decisions exist, it helps even less to make more of them. Unfortunately there are too many people (and commentators are the worst for it) who overreact and call for excessive responses, even when it's clearly wrong on the facts and in the law.

HB does not attract a sanction unless it's justified in Law.... typically SPA or DOGSO. Very occasionally, lack of respect for the game
This incident is very odd. Maybe the player was confused for some reason. Nevertheless, no card required
I don't think he's confused at all.
He knows he can't legally get the ball, he knows nobody else can legally get the ball, he knows it will end up way off the field of play, so he just stops the game there and puts it down to make the next restart easy.

I don't think he's confused at all.
He knows he can't legally get the ball, he knows nobody else can legally get the ball, he knows it will end up way off the field of play, so he just stops the game there and puts it down to make the next restart easy.
So he's acted with deliberation to give the opposition a DFK instead of a Throw In? Or he's just had a mare? Either way, we're agreed there's no card. Either way, a very peculiar reaction to catch the ball

Standard Liege v Arsenal in the Europa League. Ball thumped clear by a Liege defender and set to bounce out of play near halfway. Another Liege player with nobody near him just catches it looking bemused

Standard Liege v Arsenal in the Europa League. Ball thumped clear by a Liege defender and set to bounce out of play near halfway. Another Liege player with nobody near him just catches it looking bemused
Was a ref in these parts that used to revel in giving a card for that.

Even under the older laws, that wasn't a card.

Who is it denying possession to? His own team (maybe)? The other team as a throw-in?

Just blow the whistle, give the free kick, and laugh it off.

Similar thing came up in an observation I was doing. Ball was going out for a throw and a player caught it before it crossed the line, referee gave a free kick and cautioned him. I asked him why and he said it was a deliberate handball, so had to explain that would make every handball a caution. Far from a tactical handball, it changed the restart from a throw-in to his team to a free kick to the opposition, so a caution is totally unnecessary.

Back