A&H

Non-responsive Referee's Secretary

Jacob M

Level 7 Referee
I have just moved to a new area and my county FA recommended a local sunday league to me. I emailed the referee's secretary asking if he needed any referees and didn't get a response for almost two weeks, so I sent him a WhatsApp message using the contact number on the league website. I got a response a few hours later asking what level I was etc, which I replied to within a few minutes. It has been another week since then and I haven't heard anything from him, but I know he has seen my message.

It is the biggest local sunday league and it would be really convenient for me, so I'd rather not go for a different league. Have any of you had similar problems with Ref Secretaries and how did you get around it?

The Referee Store
It is the biggest local sunday league

This may be part of the issue, and the sheer volume of email could be a reason behind the delay. Also appointments for January have likely been made already, so you could be looking at February games before you get regular contact.
Always good to make allowances for people.

Otherwise as far as general advice goes, be persistent, but not insistent. Keep trying regularly but not every day and avoid, "You haven't replied" messages as they will just put people's backs up. If you're regularly offering your services but get nowhere there is little you can do, but by being friendly and open you may just get your foot in the door. Sometimes starting off as the guy to call in an emergency can see you become one of the core group of officials that appointments officers love to have.

anyone else still waiting for @HoofItYouDonkey 's phone call? :p

in terms of the post ... as everyone has said - phone call and just keep being polite etc - in the mean time maybe go for other leagues and get a rep?

@Jacob M - the ultimate solution - become the Referee Secretary on the League yourself ... it's a love / hate job that we've all probably done before ..!

@Jacob M - the ultimate solution - become the Referee Secretary on the League yourself ... it's a love / hate job that we've all probably done before ..!
I'll stick to being cursed as a Fixtures Secretary.

As for the OP, the Ref Sec may have shut down for Christmas as all his appointments through to the end of January have already been made. Sit tight for now.

Back