A&H

Offside IDFK from the right place?

It never is though. Where the AR flags is nearly always many metres out from where the player becomes active.

If only the laws did say to take it from the AR’s position.
The question specifically was relating to "diagram 4". The player, in that case, becomes active when the referees (well, AR to be precise) deem them as interfering with play. Which is often before they play the ball (and thus interfere with play).

In the case where this isn't the case, then it's where the player actually interferes with play, the opponent, or gains their advantage.

The Referee Store
So just to be clear, the restart is NOT where the player was located (assuming in an offside position) when his teammate played him the ball, correct? It is where the player who was in an offside position plays the ball or interferes with, etc. (which is often where he touches the ball, which could be 20 yards down the field if he's racing a defender to a through ball), correct?

So just to be clear, the restart is NOT where the player was located (assuming in an offside position) when his teammate played him the ball, correct? It is where the player who was in an offside position plays the ball or interferes with, etc. (which is often where he touches the ball, which could be 20 yards down the field if he's racing a defender to a through ball), correct?
Correct. Or, as was posited when this law change was brought in, it could be in his own half if he was in the opponent half when the ball was played and tracked back to collect it.

Yes

Correct. Or, as was posited when this law change was brought in, it could be in his own half if he was in the opponent half when the ball was played and tracked back to collect it.
Thank you. This is what I thought. You mentioned a rule change. Did the restart used to be the other way around? Meaning, the restart was where the player was located when his teammate played him the ball? If so, when did the rule change? Thanks

Thank you. This is what I thought. You mentioned a rule change. Did the restart used to be the other way around? Meaning, the restart was where the player was located when his teammate played him the ball? If so, when did the rule change? Thanks
That's a question for @Peter Grove - my memory isn't good enough to remember dates or old laws!

It was only a few years ago. I would say that implementation has been sloppy at best.

My point exactly. The further up the pitch you go, the more chance there is of the player you're throwing it to being marked or put under pressure.

Doing it way down in your own half more often than not allows you time to retain possession and comfortably play out.

We all get why players do it - it's just not really in keeping with the requirements of Law 15 though.

As I said before, I've never pulled any player up for it because they all just accept it anyway but if I was being observed for promotion - I'd more than likely have to assume my observer was anally retentive and follow suit so as to potentially avoid being clipped on AOL. ;)

Interestingly & quite rarely James Linington (Good referee) DID make attacking team take throw in right next to corner flag last night as would have been an advantage taking it 20 yards nearer own goal as they wanted to - QPR 1 Bristol City 2 btw and NOTHING to moan at the referee about in THIS one I might add! :( :p

It changed as part of the major re-write in 2016 (when 96 separate changes were made).

Prior to this the "Interpretation of the Laws of the Game and Guidelines for Referees" section of the Laws document said that:
When an offside offence occurs, the referee awards an indirect free kick to be taken from the position of the offending player when the ball was last played to him by one of his team-mates.

As of 2016, that was changed to:
If an offside offence occurs, the referee awards an indirect free kick where the offence occurred, including if it is in the player’s own half of the field of play.

Back