A&H

Offside IDFK from the right place?

santa sangria

RefChat Addict
Who tries to get players to take offside IDFKs from the correct position?
Who has given up?
What tips/tricks do you have?
What can/should ARs do?

The Referee Store
I wouldn't worry about it being in the exact right place, especially if its deep in the defensive half. If they're trying to take it from 25 yards further forward then obviously I'll blow. That will probably send them 15 yards back and I'll just let them get on with it. If the opposition aren't bothered then why should we be?

An AR can show where the correct position is with their position on the line and by communicating with the players. But if the ref is happy where they're taking it from then don't go causing a scene.

Depends. As an AR, I always signal the right place for the kick. As R I try to get them in the right place, but for me it isn't a hill to die on. If if isn't hopelessly wrong and it gets the game going, I don't lose sleep over it.

The hardest part is when an AR is signalling the wrong spot for FK. :rolleyes:

It can be tough to overcome decades of expectation. (And it doesn't seem like the refs at the top level really care where a FK is taken in the defensive half of the field, which means no one is learning this from watching on TV.)

Depends. As an AR, I always signal the right place for the kick. As R I try to get them in the right place, but for me it isn't a hill to die on. If if isn't hopelessly wrong and it gets the game going, I don't lose sleep over it.

The hardest part is when an AR is signalling the wrong spot for FK. :rolleyes:

It can be tough to overcome decades of expectation. (And it doesn't seem like the refs at the top level really care where a FK is taken in the defensive half of the field, which means no one is learning this from watching on TV.)

As teams have become more comfortable playing out from the back, alot of offside IDFKs are taken quickly and short these days, even in amateur football (especially when on 4g pitches). Because of this players aren't really bothered because there appears to be less danger than from a long ball in most circumstances.

Depends what you mean by correct position. If they want to get it down quickly and play short, as is becoming more common these days, let them get on with it as long as it isn't a huge distance from where it should be taken from. Whereas if they are lining up to clump it towards the penalty area then I'd be a bit more precise, especially closer to the half way line.

I always used to cover it in my pre-match to assistants, only be fussy on placement close to the halfway line and if they were setting up to go long.

Depends what you mean by correct position. If they want to get it down quickly and play short, as is becoming more common these days, let them get on with it as long as it isn't a huge distance from where it should be taken from. Whereas if they are lining up to clump it towards the penalty area then I'd be a bit more precise, especially closer to the half way line.

This ^ ^ ^

Another one I've always had my doubts about personally (though slightly different thread topic) is the taking of a defensive throw-in from yards away from the point the ball left play.

We all know what Law 15 says, but how many times do we see the ball leave play almost parallel to the touchline and then continue rolling downfield and away? The defender jogs after it, retrieves the ball (by now some 15-30 yards from where it left play) and simply goes straight from where they picked it up, throwing the ball in to either his own GK or fellow defender because it's convenient to do so (and of course none of their opponents are likely to complain).

As a referee, I tend not to go looking for drama and so always let this go, but of course technically it's incorrect in law.

Anybody ever stamped down on this one (and regretted it?) :)

Player in offside position runs after through ball. No one else is chasing. 15 yards before he gets to the ball AR flags. What is the correct position?

I'd do the same thing as I do with throw in. If they are getting any benefit from not taking it 'where it should be' then I take action otherwise I have bigger fish to fry.

I'd do the same thing as I do with throw in. If they are getting any benefit from not taking it 'where it should be' then I take action otherwise I have bigger fish to fry.

Same but thinking about it guaranteed possession by taking a quick one closer to your own goal is probably a bigger benefit than we think
How often do teams not retain
possession from a throw-in?

Same but thinking about it guaranteed possession by taking a quick one closer to your own goal is probably a bigger benefit than we think

My point exactly. The further up the pitch you go, the more chance there is of the player you're throwing it to being marked or put under pressure.

Doing it way down in your own half more often than not allows you time to retain possession and comfortably play out.

We all get why players do it - it's just not really in keeping with the requirements of Law 15 though.

As I said before, I've never pulled any player up for it because they all just accept it anyway but if I was being observed for promotion - I'd more than likely have to assume my observer was anally retentive and follow suit so as to potentially avoid being clipped on AOL. ;)

Last edited:
Who tries to get players to take offside IDFKs from the correct position?
Who has given up?
What tips/tricks do you have?
What can/should ARs do?

Depends on what you mean by "the right place" and it depends on where the offence occurs. Near the team's own goal line -- they can have up to 10 yards; near the halfway line, a yard or two is all the grace I give. This is entirely contextual. The tip is to use your voice and whistle and be obstinate.

Player in offside position runs after through ball. No one else is chasing. 15 yards before he gets to the ball AR flags. What is the correct position?
Where the AR flagged... that's when the player was considered to have committed the offence.

Really not have to think about it much :). There has been occasions when I have called this and there has been occasions when I have not. You need to asses the 'benefit' case by case. There are other factors too. Like the temperature of the game and if you want to slow it down.

The common one i do stop is when the ball is kicked out/cleared near the attacking corners and off the fence ends up 30 yards out. Now all attackers and defenders were in the PA waiting for a cross before it went out. If the are taking it quick from 30 yards out to an unmarked team-mate to whip it back in, that is a clear benefit and I am not allowing it. There are also times that they have done it because it is easier to find an unmarked team mate without too much overall impact to the game. No point being pedantic there.

Talking about other factors, a good tip I had from a national league referee, If you are refereeing two new teams and you want to establish authority, use this very early in the game (and only very early) to do that. You are highly unlikely to get any dissent or disagreements because it is very early and trivial. But you have established that even if 'you as player think' it is not important/right, I ask for something, you just do it and get on with it.

Where the AR flagged... that's when the player was considered to have committed the offence.
It was a rhetorical question but yes wherever the AR flags. And that could be different from one AR to another (faster, slower, day dreaming, follows play regardless, freezes and waits...).

It never is though. Where the AR flags is nearly always many metres out from where the player becomes active.

If only the laws did say to take it from the AR’s position.

It was a rhetorical question but yes wherever the AR flags. And that could be different from one AR to another (faster, slower, day dreaming, follows play regardless, freezes and waits...).
This is why I asked the question. If you do this then you get IDFKs taken from 20m away from where the player became active. And players have no idea what is correct.

This is why I asked the question. If you do this then you get IDFKs taken from 20m away from where the player became active. And players have no idea what is correct.
That discussion was about a specific scenario when a player never becomes 'active' (commits an offence) by the definitions in law.

Really not have to think about it much :). There has been occasions when I have called this and there has been occasions when I have not. You need to asses the 'benefit' case by case. There are other factors too. Like the temperature of the game and if you want to slow it down.

The common one i do stop is when the ball is kicked out/cleared near the attacking corners and off the fence ends up 30 yards out. Now all attackers and defenders were in the PA waiting for a cross before it went out. If the are taking it quick from 30 yards out to an unmarked team-mate to whip it back in, that is a clear benefit and I am not allowing it. There are also times that they have done it because it is easier to find an unmarked team mate without too much overall impact to the game. No point being pedantic there.

Talking about other factors, a good tip I had from a national league referee, If you are refereeing two new teams and you want to establish authority, use this very early in the game (and only very early) to do that. You are highly unlikely to get any dissent or disagreements because it is very early and trivial. But you have established that even if 'you as player think' it is not important/right, I ask for something, you just do it and get on with it.
Yep. This is a good tip. First 1 few throw ins, I'll if needed give a tiny pip of the whistle to say from there pls. By the 3rd or 4th throw in players are looking at me to say from here ref. Just another part of the match to easily control

We are seeing that in the Premier League now that assistants are following the proper VAR guidelines and keeping the flag down until the attack ends. They are flagging miles from where the offence was, and then running back up the line to get to the correct place and signal again.

We are seeing that in the Premier League now that assistants are following the proper VAR guidelines and keeping the flag down until the attack ends. They are flagging miles from where the offence was, and then running back up the line to get to the correct place and signal again.

This sounds right to me for all ARs--if you aren't in line with where the offense occurred, you should move there after the whistle has blown and it is clear that you OS was the call.

I use this line both as a reference and to players.

“If you don’t get greedy, I won’t get picky.”

Especially farther from goal, as long as it’s close, I just want the game to restart. If the team wants to play into the danger zone, I’ll make sure the spot is close.

Back