A&H

Offside in your own half

JudgeDreadful

I've been doing some tests from this website 'areferee.com', a supposed FIFA Laws of the Game test. I came across the question that I got wrong but I'm sure I've read that you cannot be offside in your own half. I'm finding different answers on the internet, can anyone clarify ?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-09-21 at 08.38.15.png
    Screen Shot 2023-09-21 at 08.38.15.png
    66.3 KB · Views: 49
The Referee Store
Yes, the answer is correct. The position of the player when the ball is played decides whether he is on offside position - in this case, he is just over the halfway line, but comes back in to his own half to play the ball. The free-kick is at the place he plays the ball, so could be in his own half of the FOP.

Yes, the answer is correct. The position of the player when the ball is played decides whether he is on offside position - in this case, he is just over the halfway line, but comes back in to his own half to play the ball. The free-kick is at the place he plays the ball, so could be in his own half of the FOP.
Ahh Ok I've got it now thanks. Makes sense !

The simplest way to put it is you can not be in an offside position in your own half but you can commit an offside offence in your half.

Keep in mind that the law says that it is not an offence to be in an offside position.

Last edited:
I love it when it happens, but it can be a nightmare to explain when you tell them where the kick needs to be taken from! 😂

I love it when it happens, but it can be a nightmare to explain when you tell them where the kick needs to be taken from! 😂
Ha yes, often looks like you’ve totally lost the plot as every other person in the entire ground thinks you’re wrong 😂

I had it in a youth game, about 5 yards inside their own half!
When I was relatively fresh back to reffing, I had one of these that would have been a real doozy. G19. forward was in OSP when the GK punted the ball, which went more up than out. First players in the vicinity completely miss, and ball bounces high on the artificial turf. That OSP player ends up being first to the ball, no more than halfway out to the halfway line. I should have flagged, but the R (who was not particularly strong) would have thought I was nuts—if he ever even saw the flag—and I froze and din’t flag. I don’t think anyone else on the field even considered the possibility that there was an OS issue.

When I was relatively fresh back to reffing, I had one of these that would have been a real doozy. G19. forward was in OSP when the GK punted the ball, which went more up than out. First players in the vicinity completely miss, and ball bounces high on the artificial turf. That OSP player ends up being first to the ball, no more than halfway out to the halfway line. I should have flagged, but the R (who was not particularly strong) would have thought I was nuts—if he ever even saw the flag—and I froze and din’t flag. I don’t think anyone else on the field even considered the possibility that there was an OS issue.
That would have ended up being 10 mins of added time for the explanation alone!

I had it in a youth game, about 5 yards inside their own half!
I had one in a youth game the other day too and everyone just sort of accepted it. I was quite surprised but I did immediately and loudly tell the player that he had been offside when the ball was played.

Funnily enough I ended up giving 4 yellows in that game for players kicking the ball away to delay the restart. You’d have thought after the first couple they’d have learned what was going to happen.

Back