A&H

Offside missed, ball gone out and restart taken

ladbroke8745

RefChat Addict
In a recent game I was in, I was on the line and out flag up for offside. No doubts about decision.
Ball went out from offside player for a throw in. Kept my flag up but referee still missed me.
Throw in taken but went straight to the team that was originally offside but was tackled for this time went for a throw in his favour.

I genuinely did not know if I should keep flag up for offside still, or drop it as ball has gone out for defending team throw in and has since restarted play (throw in taken).

On this occasion, I kept flag up and defending team point out flag to referee who blows to stop the throw in and looks at me "asking" what's up.
Explained offside prior to original throw.

He gave the offside.

I was right in front of away team benches who haven't been quiet at all and felt if I'd just dropped it they'd probably question any other decision we'd given (be fair, they already were).

Was I correct to keep it up or should I have dropped it after the throw in? He did not acknowledge the flag or myself once until that point.

The Referee Store
As play has restarted with the throw the ref cannot go back to the offside, so, he has majorly screwed up with a basic error in the knowledge of the lotg

Fustrating one as AR but soon as he restarts with that throw, your offside is null and void and all you can do is get back into position and move on with the next decision.

Were you also shouting on the ref to get their attention? If not, maybe going forward might be advised.

In summary your offside flag sounds correct, but when ref misses it and it restarts with a throw, its gotta simply go down as a missed flag.

Not that I know anywhere near as much as most others on this forum as I've just started but as soon as ball is back in play the ref shouldn't be bringing it back for offside.

If you couldn't get his attention I'd say as soon as the ball is coming back in play then I'd drop the flag and continue.

I was trying to get his attention but he was far side on a very wide pitch and couldnt hear me.

Only other hope you might have had is, other AR, could they have helped?
If they were paying attention they should have alerted the ref, hopefully by voice but, I have even seen them flag to get refs attention! Rare I confess...
Three of you out there as a team, sounds like two of them sold you short?

Something amiss if both ref and other AR dont notice flag and shouting, I would be saying to other AR afterwards, did you not notice I wanted refs attention?

Last edited:
Interesting OP
If the wrong team had taken the throw, the ball would not have been in play, so I think the ref could use that as a get out
Although, by the sounds of it, the ref would have been slaughtered by an observer for this and you were merely a crew member as your captain sunk your ship ⛵

Shout louder.

Think: what I would I want my AR to do?

Shout even louder.

Am still wondering what the other AR was doing? one AR has flag up and is shouting, ref is at the side of the park where the other AR is, oblivious to this? Surely the other AR will have thought, wait why is he standing over there with flag up shouting?? If he is missing this, then, good luck to him with offside etc!!!
Just as well it was not a V/C or something else sinister??

Thank God for beep flags. Nothing you can really do - as soon as a restart is given, the ref can't come back. If he restarts play, you will have to get back in position quickly.

If the wrong team had taken the throw, the ball would not have been in play, so I think the ref could use that as a get out.
That's not true - the laws clearly state:
The decisions of the referee regarding facts connected with play, including whether or not a goal is scored and the result of the match, are final.

That being so, once the referee has made the decision to award the throw to a particular team (even if that decision was 'wrong'), as soon as the throw is taken, the ball is legally in play and as Law 5 further states:
The referee may not change a decision on realising that it is incorrect or on the advice of another match official if play has restarted

Even with VAR, where in other circumstances you could call play back, no decision can be changed after play restarts.

Thank God for beep flags. Nothing you can really do - as soon as a restart is given, the ref can't come back. If he restarts play, you will have to get back in position quickly.

Nope, if you thank God for the eyes you have and use them, along with a learned awareness of your fellow match official then you can keep your £400 notes for something else. The most basic of skills when operating with ARs is to routinely check in with them. If you stick to the bare bones basics of team work the requirement of buzzers should be negated.....

Buzzers are intended to aid your co-operation with ARs, in the problems the OP has, there is zero co-operation or awareness and the buzzers are not intended to be a replacement for awareness.

Last edited:

That being so, once the referee has made the decision to award the throw to a particular team (even if that decision was 'wrong'), as soon as the throw is taken, the ball is legally in play and as Law 5 further states:

Even with VAR, where in other circumstances you could call play back, no decision can be changed after play restarts.

Just throwing one in the mix, had the ref suddenly realised the flag was up as the throw was in progress, he could have blown for a foul throw, as the ball is not in play legally, noticed the flag/heard the shout/felt the buzz or whatever, then went back to the offside? OK, its never going to happen but the ball would not be back in play if the throw was illegal, or, do we still count it as a throw even when its not a legal throw? If it was possible to do this, the referee would need to be mega tuned in...which given he has already missed the original flag and shout, is simply not going to be the case.

Maybe I was unclear. I was envisaging a scenario in which the direction of the throw had not been indicated and any player picked up the ball and threw it. The ref could then indicate that the that the wrong team had taken the throw allowing the ref to return an offside restart instead of ordering a retake of the throw by the correct team

Maybe I was unclear. I was envisaging a scenario in which the direction of the throw had not been indicated and any player picked up the ball and threw it. The ref could then indicate that the that the wrong team had taken the throw allowing the ref to return an offside restart instead of ordering a retake of the throw by the correct team
OK, I'm almost with you now - but I would still say you can only do this if one of the teams takes it before you've indicated, before you're ready and while you're still discussing the possible offside with the AR. In which case I'd be holding play up and getting it retaken no matter which side took it. In the scenario under discussion this is not what happened - the referee had allowed play to restart based on what they thought was a correct decision and didn't become aware of any issues with that until the ball had not only come into play (with the referees consent) but had gone back out again for a second throw-in. Way too much water under the bridge to be calling it back at that point.

Nope, if you thank God for the eyes you have and use them, along with a learned awareness of your fellow match official then you can keep your £400 notes for something else.

At higher levels, instant responses to trouble is a key component to retaining match control. You're correct that they are aids, as are comms, but they're invaluable, especially for off the ball antics behind the run of play.

At higher levels, instant responses to trouble is a key component to retaining match control. You're correct that they are aids, as are comms, but they're invaluable, especially for off the ball antics behind the run of play.

And the incident in question reads like an awareness issue.
A bog standard offside.

Back