A&H

Offside? YouTube clip

The Referee Store
It’s a bad mistake from the AR, who probably got confused.

You would hope that the ref would have been more switched on, realised offside was impossible, and waved the flag down…

Even after the whistle you would hope the ref would realise the clanger and start apologizing early.

Context though… could be NAR, beginner AR…?

(I once had a beginner AR rule out two goals… can happen)

As Observer for a promotion candidate 5>4 match there, I was the only person in the stand when the players and officials lined up for the Respect handshake facing the stand.
I resisted the royal wave option and remained seated, looking down at my notes☺️
😂 I'm there this coming Thursday, might be a few more people in that stand!

Knowing the red team manager, I'm surprised that they didn't need to deploy the defib when the offside flag went up.

The AR who gave the decision is a good lad and he'll be mortified that he got it wrong.

I'm not sure what threads like this add to the mix. It's a brain freeze call. Shrug. Happens.
My fear is it's not a brain freeze and the same AR would call the same situation for lack of knowledge of what constitutes an offside offence.

By the way, op vid is 3 years old and doing its second round on this forum.

As Observer for a promotion candidate 5>4 match there, I was the only person in the stand when the players and officials lined up for the Respect handshake facing the stand.
I resisted the royal wave option and remained seated, looking down at my notes☺️
Wow. Notes before kick off. Poor ref 😜

My fear is it's not a brain freeze and the same AR would call the same situation for lack of knowledge of what constitutes an offside offence.

The AR in this instance knows exactly what an offside offence is. He was convinced that when the ball was played that the attacker was in the opposing half.

Nope. Brain freeze is all there. The AR just thinks the ball is actually played later than it is. Only takes a second for a player to cover 7-8 yards when they're at full tilt.

More likely just a combination of the flash lag effect, and the fact that the speed of sound is slower than the speed of light, meaning that the AR will hear the kick of the ball later and the attacker will have covered more distance.

One of the challenges I have seen in recent times is that many referees accept every offside flag. In the first clip it could not be offside just perhaps maybe a player in an offside position. I like many others have been there on incorrect flags and its a wave down with play continuing. Before the kick off or restart its simply going across to the AR and asking what he saw and then awarding the goal. As an observer I would be on the referee's case as to why it was not a wave down. I think that's a bigger error
On the 2nd one its a misjudgement by the AR. Generally caused by poor positioning and lack of concentration. If stood on the halfway line it should be an easy spot that its not offside at the moment the ball was played.
The first offside call is worse as it is not a judgement call, its not knowing Law 11.

The AR in this instance knows exactly what an offside offence is. He was convinced that when the ball was played that the attacker was in the opposing half.
Nope. Brain freeze is all there. The AR just thinks the ball is actually played later than it is. Only takes a second for a player to cover 7-8 yards when they're at full tilt.
More likely just a combination of the flash lag effect, and the fact that the speed of sound is slower than the speed of light, meaning that the AR will hear the kick of the ball later and the attacker will have covered more distance.
Are we talking about the same clip? My comment was on the OP.

One of the challenges I have seen in recent times is that many referees accept every offside flag. In the first clip it could not be offside just perhaps maybe a player in an offside position. I like many others have been there on incorrect flags and its a wave down with play continuing. Before the kick off or restart its simply going across to the AR and asking what he saw and then awarding the goal. As an observer I would be on the referee's case as to why it was not a wave down. I think that's a bigger error
On the 2nd one its a misjudgement by the AR. Generally caused by poor positioning and lack of concentration. If stood on the halfway line it should be an easy spot that its not offside at the moment the ball was played.
The first offside call is worse as it is not a judgement call, its not knowing Law 11.
Agree - first one is incorrect in law and referee needs to establish why the AR has flagged.

Second one is as you've said, a matter of opinion. In the AR's mind the attacker is in the opposing half when the ball is played.

Agree it's concentration, I'll give a little context about the ground and the teams as a way of potential mitigation.

The benches are really tight, they are very close together and also quite tight to the touchline, meaning that it feels like the 2 standing are right on top of you. Add to that, both teams management can be described a 'a bit lively' and are generally chirping away throughout the course of the game (though it's mostly on the right side of the line). At that ground, with those 2 teams you really have to double down on the mental focus and not get sucked in to too much of what's going on.

Watching the first one again, I can understand the AR, even though of course its completely incorrect. He thinks blue has passed the ball, and raised his flag
At this point, the very least the referee should be doing is playing on, and, if needed, then go across to the AR just to confirm whats went on.
Simply accepting the flag on autopilot, ( feeling the buzzer maybe) is just futile, you simply need to be aware

Back