A&H

One bad observer down…

Tealeaf

Lighting the darkest hour
Staff member

The news report alone makes for shocking reading. The observer in question, a former top flight official no less, tried to excuse a racially aggravated comment as “light-hearted”.

Another dinosaur gone. And good riddance too.

A&H International

The news report alone makes for shocking reading. The observer in question, a former top flight official no less, tried to excuse a racially aggravated comment as “light-hearted”.

I read the written reason earlier and it left me wondering what in the world made him think this was okay? Totally baffling.

Was about to share this, thank god and he had previous from 2022 as well.

And some wanted to doubt when I pointed out unconscious bias could have an impact on observations. I’m sure he thought he wasn’t racist in the slightest and had no ill will.

Unfortunately there are a lot of people aged 60+ in the UK that have these attitudes. And if you challenge them on it they will say "it is just banter" or other words to that effect.

Obviously it isn't acceptable, and credit to the match officials on the day for reporting it and carrying it through. These people need removing from the game.

That sounds like a case of "casual racism" to me and it's probably likely that he didn't mean it maliciously, as he's claimed. However, it's still just as unacceptable as "regular" racism said with bad intent though, so they can't be soft on it, especially for a second offence. Such a stupid and pointless way to lose your job.

I wonder how badly the victim felt about the whole thing and if Gifford apologized to him afterwards, as the article doesn't say.

Thanks for the clarification, JamesL.

How stuff like that can ever be considered not abusive or insulting is beyond me. I get laddish humour when friends make insulting jokes to each other that they laugh off, but racism is a red line that should never be crossed.

I think he has only been suspended for 5 months so could be back by mid October.
I think PGMOL are likely to have had enough of him altogether. The FA ban is 5 months but since this is a second offence I will be surprised if he is appointed as an observer again.

'BBC Sport understands Gifford was not an employee of the PGMOL but was used on a freelance basis, and has not worked as an observer after the game at Newport.'

Thanks! Does anyone know why they redacted the names though?
I'd imagine in an attempt to protect the officials from future hassle. While you can find the officials by going through the appointments, others such as the AR Coach won't be visible, and I doubt will want much further association with the incident. As ever, there will be other people who think this is acceptable, and therefore, unhappy with this.

I'd imagine in an attempt to protect the officials from future hassle. While you can find the officials by going through the appointments, others such as the AR Coach won't be visible, and I doubt will want much further association with the incident. As ever, there will be other people who think this is acceptable, and therefore, unhappy with this.
I wouldn’t blame them for distancing themselves to be perfectly honest. I personally think, as do many others, that the comments were simply disgusting.

The Mirror report that he has been "sacked". Realistically there's no way back for him from this, how would he be received if he stayed in role and was sent to observe non-white match officials?

'BBC Sport understands Gifford was not an employee of the PGMOL but was used on a freelance basis, and has not worked as an observer after the game at Newport.'
The Mirror report that he has been "sacked". Realistically there's no way back for him from this, how would he be received if he stayed in role and was sent to observe non-white match officials?
Oh yeah, being freelance they have zero responsibility towards him anyway and owe him nothing, so he's definitely not coming back from this now. He's tainted goods.

One can't just say racist crap like this in this day and age.

I think the teeth/smile bit was 'the clincher'
I'm guessing the previous charge was not admissible in this investigation, but there's two lots of smoke with two fires by the sounds of it

Back