A&H

Over Celebration

Sheffields Finest

Maybe I'm foolish, maybe I'm blind!
Level 7 Referee
DybQDfBWkAAMGv4.jpg-large.jpeg
Ever booked anyone for over celebration?? I think i had a few for shirt off etc but can't remember any for more than that (Let me think?)

Last edited:
The Referee Store
I've cautioned for a player running up to an opponent and provocatively celebrating in his face, but given said player grabbed him in retaliation and it kicked off a mass con, it was a very very easy caution to sell!

I've cautioned for a player running up to an opponent and provocatively celebrating in his face, but given said player grabbed him in retaliation and it kicked off a mass con, it was a very very easy caution to sell!
I've sanctioned similar, but sent it in as C1 AA

Yeah, I've seen players booked for running up to the opposing bench and kissing the club badge on their shirt to rile them up, and a few stupid things like tussling the hair of opponents as they run past after a goal

I've seen a guy score, grab his phone from the side of the pitch and take a selfie with the opposition manager who was a deeply unpleasant character 🤣🤣🤣

I was playing in the game and it was all pre planned, genius. Manager just called him a few names, no card from the ref. It was brilliant tbf

I've seen a guy score, grab his phone from the side of the pitch and take a selfie with the opposition manager who was a deeply unpleasant character 🤣🤣🤣

I was playing in the game and it was all pre planned, genius. Manager just called him a few names, no card from the ref. It was brilliant tbf
It makes a difference if there is fair bit of humour involved even if it is provocative especially when the opponent can see the humorous side of it even if they are not happy with it. Not saying it is not a caution, just that context is important.

Amazingly, that pic is Falkirk v QOS
They played the reverse fixture last night
And
A Falkirk player got his 2nd yellow for celebrating the goal....

I booked a player for stopping the ball on the line, lying down and heading it in, that’s as close as I’ve come though

I booked a player for stopping the ball on the line, lying down and heading it in, that’s as close as I’ve come though
Ooooh. I don't know about that. Did you disallow the goal and for what reason?

Obviously the were no defenders around. Would you do the same if he rainbow flicked it in?

Obviously the were no defenders around. Would you do the same if he rainbow flicked it in?
Indeed, you'd have to stop the game to issue the card, thereby preventing the goal. Nothing to celebrate, except a headache for the ref :sorry:

Intrigued as to reason why also.

Unless he was putting himself in danger, there is no offence here, despite morally no doubts there should be.

I allowed the goal and booked the player the USB. Probably wrong within the LOTG, but it sparked off a few handbags with the other team for basically taking the p

What about a caution code which is certainly under used..

"actions which are deemed to be inflammatory".

at least, its on the sheet here.

I allowed the goal and booked the player the USB. Probably wrong within the LOTG, but it sparked off a few handbags with the other team for basically taking the p
Definitely wrong according to LOTG. But hey we all make mistakes and learn.:) What you considered as a USB act was when the ball was still in play so allowing the goal means in effect you played advantage on the offence. No prizes for guessing which team benefited from that advantage :)

You had two technically correct options.
  • Disallow the goal and caution for USB. While technically correct I'd say trickery with the ball is not considered USB in general unless specified in LOTG.
  • Allow the goal and no caution. Pulling the player aside and having a quick word with him would not be a bad idea. This is my option

Definitely incorrect in law, as the offence happened before the goal was scored so if you are going to caution you have to disallow the goal and award an IDFK.

Back