A&H

Pal v Eve

Spurs vs Burnley and we've already had 2 vague VAR checks that wasn't appealed for by players

The Referee Store
But I don't see how that would radically Chang what we have now.

There will be more interruptions.
Greater pressure on the referee from the challenging team.
Greater pressure on the referee from the non challenging team
Additional pressure from their (still potentially wrong decision) removing the ability to challenge future decisions.
Reviews I think would probably take longer overall - made by total presumptions.

I'm just opposed to it as a solution. I think, and of course only my thoughts, it will be fraught with more issues than we have now.
Why involve the referee? Isn’t the “going to the monitor” the biggest joke with the awful protocol?

In the same way that an AR advises the referee of offences and sanctions the referee has not seen, just do the same with the video assistant.

Spurs vs Burnley and we've already had 2 vague VAR checks that wasn't appealed for by players
And they were both fairly quick. One was for a potential penalty so they have to check it, they have no choice, and the Spurs player most definitely did appeal for it anyway.

Why involve the referee? Isn’t the “going to the monitor” the biggest joke with the awful protocol?

In the same way that an AR advises the referee of offences and sanctions the referee has not seen, just do the same with the video assistant.
We tried that already

And they were both fairly quick. One was for a potential penalty so they have to check it, they have no choice, and the Spurs player most definitely did appeal for it anyway.
They didn't need to check it as it quite clearly wasn't a penalty. This is where VAR ends up potentially trying to re-referee games.

The second one took far longer than it needed to. And even then, everyone was happy with the cation for Cullen. I don't even know if VAR was checking that challenge or the one after it.

But the Brentford game has proven they don't have a clue what they are doing with VAR. Either the whole system isn't up to scratch, or we are embarrassingly poor at using it.

They didn't need to check it as it quite clearly wasn't a penalty. This is where VAR ends up potentially trying to re-referee games.

The second one took far longer than it needed to. And even then, everyone was happy with the cation for Cullen. I don't even know if VAR was checking that challenge or the one after it.

But the Brentford game has proven they don't have a clue what they are doing with VAR. Either the whole system isn't up to scratch, or we are embarrassingly poor at using it.
Of course they have to check it, they can't just watch it from one angle and say that's clearly not a penalty. How many times have we seen a challenge from one angle that looks perfectly fair only to then see another angle and it looks like a clear foul?

Only seen the quick showing of the Wolves red card, but looks pretty clear to me, stamped down above the ankle with a straight leg causing the leg to bend at the ankle. No idea if it was given on field or by VAR or the referee though as wasn't watching it. What does add to the subjectivity argument though is Gary O'Neill thinks it was a correct red card for his player, Thomas Frank says it wasn't.

Of course they have to check it, they can't just watch it from one angle and say that's clearly not a penalty. How many times have we seen a challenge from one angle that looks perfectly fair only to then see another angle and it looks like a clear foul?

Only seen the quick showing of the Wolves red card, but looks pretty clear to me, stamped down above the ankle with a straight leg causing the leg to bend at the ankle. No idea if it was given on field or by VAR or the referee though as wasn't watching it. What does add to the subjectivity argument though is Gary O'Neill thinks it was a correct red card for his player, Thomas Frank says it wasn't.
The fact they have to sit there and go through multiple angles proves that the error isn't C&O.

The red card I don't think anyone has an issue with. The issue is the non-red card. How 2 VAR's have sat there and thought that wasn't a C&O error is worrying.

The fact they have to sit there and go through multiple angles proves that the error isn't C&O.

The red card I don't think anyone has an issue with. The issue is the non-red card. How 2 VAR's have sat there and thought that wasn't a C&O error is worrying.

I disagree with the looking at multiple angles not making it C&O. If anything imo, it supports why it is C&O. If one angle shows that it is a pen/RC, but all the others don't.

Be fair, if they waved it away without checking yet TV then shows another angle that clearly shows it was a foul you would be one of the first to blame VAR. You can't have it both ways.

Be fair, if they waved it away without checking yet TV then shows another angle that clearly shows it was a foul you would be one of the first to blame VAR. You can't have it both ways.
If you have to look at multiple replays to find the foul, it's hardly C&O

You are missing the point. One of the first things referees are taught is that challenges look different from different angles, VAR cannot just look at a potential penalty real time as if they did and then all other angles made it look like a penalty they would be, rightly, castigated.

You are missing the point. One of the first things referees are taught is that challenges look different from different angles, VAR cannot just look at a potential penalty real time as if they did and then all other angles made it look like a penalty they would be, rightly, castigated.
Which is why under my proposal for a challenge based system, clubs get 30 seconds. If they can't find anything wrong in that 30 seconds, we get on with it.

Similar to the old days. Then it's on the clubs, just as much as it is the officials

Which is why under my proposal for a challenge based system, clubs get 30 seconds. If they can't find anything wrong in that 30 seconds, we get on with it.

Similar to the old days. Then it's on the clubs, just as much as it is the officials
Maybe, but we can only judge incidents and how VAR works against the current system, not some flight of fantasy that will almost certain never become reality.

Maybe, but we can only judge incidents and how VAR works against the current system, not some flight of fantasy that will almost certain never become reality.
How can a PGMOL official look at the Damsgaard incident and not think red? In fact, how can 3 of them look at it and think no!

Is the word "error" causing problems?

From the viewpoint of the R it may not be an error, it is a valid decision based on their perspective.

Will there be a release of the rationale for overturning it? Like a written reasons type document? This just seems to further confuse matters. Foot was high, studs were up, there was little contact but it was dangerous enough to justify a red.

Mixed messages again from the FA...

It would be nice to see the written reasons the appeal groups give when making their decisions.

Of course you need to take them with a pinch of salt since the board is make up of mostly non-referees

It would be nice to see the written reasons the appeal groups give when making their decisions.

Of course you need to take them with a pinch of salt since the board is make up of mostly non-referees
Exactly that. Never base your own decisions on what the appeal panels decide, as there is no guarantee what they decide is actually the correct outcome.

I think they do publish the written reasons, but usually a month or two after.

Back