A&H

Palace v Everton handball

QuaverRef

I used to be indecisive but now i'm not so sure
Level 4 Referee
Unless somebody can convince me otherwise, I’m genuinely concerned about some of the handball decision being given and this is just another. I genuinely don’t know what the defender can do here bar actively move his arm out the way, but the LOTG don’t actually encourage that ...

The Referee Store
Unless somebody can convince me otherwise, I’m genuinely concerned about some of the handball decision being given and this is just another. I genuinely don’t know what the defender can do here bar actively move his arm out the way, but the LOTG don’t actually encourage that ...

Agree 100%

His arm is in a completely natural position. This was a shocking decision. VAR is a tool to help the referee reach the correct decision. At the moment, it's being used to overturn correct decisions.

Completely agree with all the above comments - I couldn’t believe it was given when I was watching it yesterday. If that’s not a natural position I don’t know what is.

I don't agree with the law, but all that is happening is England is aligning with most of the rest of Europe where such incidents would have been given as penalties for years. You can't blame the officials or say the decisions are mistakes as they have been told to penalise if the ball hits the hand or arms away from the body.

I suppose it is at least delivering consistency, but it is very harsh on defenders.

I would not have argued if the referee had called this either way but it definitely was not a clear and obvious error for VAR to get involved.

I am seeing more and more instances of VAR being used to re-referee the game.

You need to also consider the one a few minutes earlier that went to VAR review but wasn't given. For me, in that case, he was actively straining to get his arm out the way - short of some impromptu on-field surgery, there wasn't much more he could have done to avoid contact with the ball!

With the one that was given, it simply looked a lot more like a "neutral" arm position to me. I don't think he was deliberately moving his arm towards the ball, but he also wasn't particularly straining to avoid contact either. The slow-motions make it look worse, as it implies he had more time to react that he actually did - at full speed, it just looks like it came at him quickly and he wasn't able to avoid it.

If it’s not handled that ball goes straight to the attacker. I’ve no issue with call.

But that's completely irrelevant

It’s entirely relevant.

Defender has blocked the ball with his hand stopping a potentially promising attack. He hasn’t blocked it fairly (ie with his body).

Happy to sit in the minority camp.

It’s entirely relevant.

Defender has blocked the ball with his hand stopping a potentially promising attack. He hasn’t blocked it fairly (ie with his body).

Happy to sit in the minority camp.

Where the ball is or isn't going has no bearing on whether it's a handball offence or not.

If you decide it's handball then sure, SPA is a possibility. But if you don't think it's handball the fact it was running through to the striker is completely irrelevant.

Where the ball is or isn't going has no bearing on whether it's a handball offence or not.

If you decide it's handball then sure, SPA is a possibility. But if you don't think it's handball the fact it was running through to the striker is completely irrelevant.
I think he knows what we are saying but he is trying to find a way around it ☺️🤣😉

Reactions: es1
Back