A&H

Pass Back

magpie1892

Level 7 Referee
Hi All

Had a game today U17's Green v Red.

Red player shinned the ball and it went back to the keeper who picked it up (in my opinion he was trying to pass it to the keeper anyway). I blow for foul IDFK from where the defender passed the ball which was just outside the penalty area.

Was that correct or should it have been from where the keeper picked it up? (think I actually got this wrong in hindsight and should have been inside the PA)

Greens thumped the resulting FK into the top corner (only goal they scored as they lost by 5)

Thanks

The Referee Store
It's only an offense when the keeper touches it with his hands.

Not directly into the goal?

Also, so long as the player deliberately kicked the ball, it doesn't matter whether he deliberately kicked it to his GK.

Hi magpie,
Thanks for asking. Unfortunately the decision was incorrect, but hey, the main thing is you asked and it's a learning experience :)
For one, if you're not certain it's off the foot, then there cannot be any foul here anyway.
Aside from that - it's 100% legal for the defender to kick the ball to the keeper. So you can never penalise a defender for kicking the ball to the keeper. It's only an offence if, after having a teammate deliberately kick the ball to him, the keeper handles the ball. And the IFK is where the keeper handles it. The only time 'intention for the keeper to handle it' is relevant is if there's a deliberate trick, like flicking the ball up to head it, then the offence is the defender's attempt to circumnavigate the law whether or not the keeper handles it.
I'd suggest for now, forget about that part of it. I've never seen it happen ,neither have the vast majority of referees.
Leg, any part of your leg.
No, not in the context of the ball. Can't take a kickoff with your knee, for instance.

Last edited:
Okay, kick the ball with your foot, pass the ball with any part of your leg, if it deliberately to the goalkeeper and he picks it up then IDFK from where he touches it with his hands.

Just to clarify it is not with any part of the leg, It has to be the foot. I overruled my Assistant earlier this season when he flagged for a back pass where then player played it with his thigh back to the keeper. Lots of shouts but I cleared it up with the players.
Law 12 The ball is kicked (played with the foot, not the knee, thigh, or shin) by a teammate of the goalkeeper
This action is deemed to be deliberate and intentional, rather than a deflection or an miss-kick which is not intended for goalkeepers direction, by the referee
The goalkeeper handles the ball directly (no intervening touch of play of the ball by anyone else). Handling the ball involves retrieving the ball or making a save with one or both hands.

Just to clarify it is not with any part of the leg, It has to be the foot. I overruled my Assistant earlier this season when he flagged for a back pass where then player played it with his thigh back to the keeper. Lots of shouts but I cleared it up with the players.
Law 12 The ball is kicked (played with the foot, not the knee, thigh, or shin) by a teammate of the goalkeeper
This action is deemed to be deliberate and intentional, rather than a deflection or an miss-kick which is not intended for goalkeepers direction, by the referee
The goalkeeper handles the ball directly (no intervening touch of play of the ball by anyone else). Handling the ball involves retrieving the ball or making a save with one or both hands.
This....Not sure I would be over the moon about the AR flagging for that....

Also, so long as the player deliberately kicked the ball, it doesn't matter whether he deliberately kicked it to his GK.
Yes it does !

If he shinned it he hasn't kicked it !
Dictionary definition of kick is:
'strike or propel forcibly with the foot'.

Last edited by a moderator:
So @Duncan Francis @Denis McCarthy what you're saying is that you can legally play the ball pack to the goalkeeper deliberately by using you knee, thigh or shin?

So imagine next week defender traps the ball then knee's it to his goal keeper? Play on? Or Flicks the ball up and knee's it on the ground for his keeper to pick it up?

Doesn't sit right with me if I'm honest.

So imagine next week defender traps the ball then knee's it to his goal keeper? Play on? Or Flicks the ball up and knee's it on the ground for his keeper to pick it up?
If you think the defender has deliberately circumvented the Law in order to pass it back to the goalkeeper, then give an indirect free kick from where the defender plays the ball and caution the defender.

However, it's perfectly legal for a goalkeeper to handle the ball after his team-mate has played it back to him using his knee or shin, providing there is no trickery.

If you think the defender has deliberately circumvented the Law in order to pass it back to the goalkeeper, then give an indirect free kick from where the defender plays the ball and caution the defender.

However, it's perfectly legal for a goalkeeper to handle the ball after his team-mate has played it back to him using his knee or shin, providing there is no trickery.

I was going to say that ! :)

Back