A&H

Pass Back

So @Duncan Francis @Denis McCarthy what you're saying is that you can legally play the ball pack to the goalkeeper deliberately by using you knee, thigh or shin?

So imagine next week defender traps the ball then knee's it to his goal keeper? Play on? Or Flicks the ball up and knee's it on the ground for his keeper to pick it up?

Doesn't sit right with me if I'm honest.
Which version of the LOTG does that apply to Jacko, the one for the PL or the one for the rest of football??
Don't bite!! It was meant very much toung-in-cheek!!!! LOL

The Referee Store
Hi magpie,
Thanks for asking. Unfortunately the decision was incorrect, but hey, the main thing is you asked and it's a learning experience :)
For one, if you're not certain it's off the foot, then there cannot be any foul here anyway.
Aside from that - it's 100% legal for the defender to kick the ball to the keeper. So you can never penalise a defender for kicking the ball to the keeper. It's only an offence if, after having a teammate deliberately kick the ball to him, the keeper handles the ball. And the IFK is where the keeper handles it. The only time 'intention for the keeper to handle it' is relevant is if there's a deliberate trick, like flicking the ball up to head it, then the offence is the defender's attempt to circumnavigate the law whether or not the keeper handles it.
I'd suggest for now, forget about that part of it. I've never seen it happen ,neither have the vast majority of referees.

No, not in the context of the ball. Can't take a kickoff with your knee, for instance.

To me it looked like a deliberate pass back which the keeper picked up (I was convinced from where I was), defender claimed it was a shin so I think the only mistake was where the free kick was taken from.

Thanks for the replies :)

So @Duncan Francis @Denis McCarthy what you're saying is that you can legally play the ball pack to the goalkeeper deliberately by using you knee, thigh or shin?

So imagine next week defender traps the ball then knee's it to his goal keeper? Play on? Or Flicks the ball up and knee's it on the ground for his keeper to pick it up?

Doesn't sit right with me if I'm honest.

You're trolling, surely......

Had one in an u12s match last season. Defender dispossessed the attacker with a roll of the foot on top the ball and and immediately played the ball back to his keeper with his 2nd touch. Ball bounced a bit high for the keeper to use his feet and with the ball going out for a corner, so used his palm twice to keep the ball in.

Blew for the back pass, cue calls from the side line "How can it be a back pass, he didn't pick it up?" :confused:

Had one in an u12s match last season. Defender dispossessed the attacker with a roll of the foot on top the ball and and immediately played the ball back to his keeper with his 2nd touch. Ball bounced a bit high for the keeper to use his feet and with the ball going out for a corner, so used his palm twice to keep the ball in.

Blew for the back pass, cue calls from the side line "How can it be a back pass, he didn't pick it up?" :confused:

The uneducated masses ! :)

Cup match on the weekend, a through ball and a defender gets to it first at about the penalty spot and taps it towards the keeper who gets to it by the edge of the six yard box, wide of his left post.

He picks it, instead of booting it clear. Attacker wasn't too far away, bearing down.

My logic: The defender was under a little pressure and instead of clearing it out for a throw or a corner chose to tap it towards the keeper. His team mates were unhappy I have given an idfk, stating it was not a deliberate back pass it was a clearance tackle. To my eyes, either boot it clear or put it out. Anything played meekly backwards that the keeper can pick up is a deliberate pass back.

To me it looked like a deliberate pass back which the keeper picked up (I was convinced from where I was), defender claimed it was a shin so I think the only mistake was where the free kick was taken from.

Thanks for the replies :)

if it's what you saw, then you call it that way. If I were the defender, I'd say I shinned it too.

Cup match on the weekend, a through ball and a defender gets to it first at about the penalty spot and taps it towards the keeper who gets to it by the edge of the six yard box, wide of his left post.

He picks it, instead of booting it clear. Attacker wasn't too far away, bearing down.

My logic: The defender was under a little pressure and instead of clearing it out for a throw or a corner chose to tap it towards the keeper. His team mates were unhappy I have given an idfk, stating it was not a deliberate back pass it was a clearance tackle. To my eyes, either boot it clear or put it out. Anything played meekly backwards that the keeper can pick up is a deliberate pass back.

Agreed. Just because it was played from a challenge or under pressure doesn't mean it wasn't controlled.

Back