A&H

Pick the bones out of this

Ok from a learning point of view. Say that you are going to send off red 2 and 7, blue 11. What is an appropriate way?

Flashing the cards or take names and slow the process down?
7 seemed the start it but 2 was worst offender imho (stamp) does he go 1st?
So first of all you need to isolate the offenders. As I talked about above this needs to be away from the players with a clear pathway to the changing rooms. I am happy with the slowing down here.
In terms of order I'd deal with one teams reds then the others. This would allow you to reposition yourself if needs be between sanctioning teams to keep the clear path way.
I wouldn't recommend flashing cards here. Everything should be slowly as possible to leave as much time between restart. There has been a major flash point followed by several dismissals. We need everyone calm before we restart. Easiest way to do that is to slow things down

The Referee Store
Just to say that this is much easier to sort out from the comfort of our armchairs with the ability to look at the incident a few times.

Took me a few replays to sort out who did what. Obvioulsy we can't really comment on the abandonement without knowing what was actually said to the referee and his assistants.

Having said that, my own personal opinion was it would have been better to show red 7 the first red - the one most saw and were expecting, then red 2 and then, as others have said possibly red for the blue player as well or yellow depending on what he saw on the day.

Good learning points as others have said around procedure, but can't be too critical of the referee here who had to deal with it in real time with lots of 'noise' going on at the same time.

Well I think the ref has now closed his twitter account to being viewed, as I have just read the thread and can't see any of his comments.

Having said that, my own personal opinion was it would have been better to show red 7 the first red - the one most saw and were expecting, then red 2 and then, as others have said possibly red for the blue player as well or yellow depending on what he saw on the day.

Interesting, as the first one I saw was the red 2, and I'd be dealing with him first because of just how violent that action was. Stamping on an opponent's face is about as bad as it gets.

Interesting, as the first one I saw was the red 2, and I'd be dealing with him first because of just how violent that action was. Stamping on an opponent's face is about as bad as it gets.

Perfectly good point - as we all know its all about views/perception - we all see things differently.

As a learning point would you always go for the most serious red in these cases, not chronological?

Also if sending off 2 from 1 team, and 1 from the other - assuming all same seriousness, what order would be your preference?

Thanks

I think sending off red2 then red7, then isolating blue11 while the reds leave the field, and then showing blue11 the red and making sure there are security/stewards/officials/sensible coach (depending on the level) to be close to blue11 to make sure there are no handbags in the "tunnel".

Could you also string out blue11's red by bringing in the blue captain at the same time, to explain/sell the red and waste a bit of time there as the red players depart...?

Ok from a learning point of view. Say that you are going to send off red 2 and 7, blue 11. What is an appropriate way?

Flashing the cards or take names and slow the process down?
7 seemed the start it but 2 was worst offender imho (stamp) does he go 1st?
Any mass confrontation involving violence that involved 2 red cards or more, my first thing is to separate and isolate teams, you don't want afters to kick off while you are dealing with offenders. each team to gather in their own half well away from each other this should also be providing a clear path for sent off offenders. Next position myself on the clear path close to touchline. Next if the captains are one of the offenders are asked to come to me for a brief. I then ask offender to come to where I am in the order of seriousness/expected sanctions. Show card in a calm but confident manner and ask them to leave. No discussions. Where i am i am not required to talk to them. I just need shirt numbers. But if you have to talk to them (and only if you have to) make it as brief as possible.

Perfectly good point - as we all know its all about views/perception - we all see things differently.

As a learning point would you always go for the most serious red in these cases, not chronological?

Also if sending off 2 from 1 team, and 1 from the other - assuming all same seriousness, what order would be your preference?

Thanks

I wouldn't really care about the order of offences. When there is one ultra violent action like this I'd want him gone first, after all he is the one that opposition players are going to be gunning for.

I think sending off red2 then red7, then isolating blue11 while the reds leave the field, and then showing blue11 the red and making sure there are security/stewards/officials/sensible coach (depending on the level) to be close to blue11 to make sure there are no handbags in the "tunnel".

Could you also string out blue11's red by bringing in the blue captain at the same time, to explain/sell the red and waste a bit of time there as the red players depart...?

It's a balancing act. You don't want everyone sent off at the same time, but equally stringing it out can cause problems. More often than not players will calm down once play restarts, so by stringing the stoppage out you risk an increased time where player tempers and emotions are up.

It's a balancing act. You don't want everyone sent off at the same time, but equally stringing it out can cause problems. More often than not players will calm down once play restarts, so by stringing the stoppage out you risk an increased time where player tempers and emotions are up.
I think the referees body language in situations like this is also important. If the referee is exuding a calm authority, then that can (not always) have a positive impact on the situation.

I think the referees body language in situations like this is also important. If the referee is exuding a calm authority, then that can (not always) have a positive impact on the situation.

The referee here was calm, but I wouldn't say he was authoritative, but sometimes it just doesn't matter.

To use an example I had, a game between a step 3 and step 4 team which went swimmingly with absolutely nothing happening. Then in the second minute of stoppage time something happened in the technical areas that none of us saw and all hell broke loose. I'd like to think I was calm and even authoritative, but in reality I had no idea what had sparked it so I was at a distinct disadvantage. Sorted it all out, or so I thought, with a couple of reds and several yellows, but then from the restart within 10 seconds a shocker of a challenge has come in right in front of the benches and it's WW3 again. I'd gone from a totally in control referee for 92 minutes to someone who probably looked a total wreck by the end of the game. Don't mind admitting that I was sat in pretty much stunned silence in the changing room after until the assessor came in, and whilst he was very sympathetic he had seen what had started the melee in the technical areas and therefore the outcome wasn't good for the three of us.

Refereeing is difficult. The referee in this OP has actually spotted the offences reasonably well. I'd question his management of the issuing of cards, and the abandonment looks questionable to me, but as I said, refereeing is difficult.

The referee here was calm, but I wouldn't say he was authoritative, but sometimes it just doesn't matter.

To use an example I had, a game between a step 3 and step 4 team which went swimmingly with absolutely nothing happening. Then in the second minute of stoppage time something happened in the technical areas that none of us saw and all hell broke loose. I'd like to think I was calm and even authoritative, but in reality I had no idea what had sparked it so I was at a distinct disadvantage. Sorted it all out, or so I thought, with a couple of reds and several yellows, but then from the restart within 10 seconds a shocker of a challenge has come in right in front of the benches and it's WW3 again. I'd gone from a totally in control referee for 92 minutes to someone who probably looked a total wreck by the end of the game. Don't mind admitting that I was sat in pretty much stunned silence in the changing room after until the assessor came in, and whilst he was very sympathetic he had seen what had started the melee in the technical areas and therefore the outcome wasn't good for the three of us.

Refereeing is difficult. The referee in this OP has actually spotted the offences reasonably well. I'd question his management of the issuing of cards, and the abandonment looks questionable to me, but as I said, refereeing is difficult.
Very good. I heard a very similar account of a game recently from a fellow forumite. Easy for the assessor (in your case poacher/gamekeeper) sat there in the stand with a cup of tea. Like you say, 'do everything right' and end up buggered

Back