A&H

Player Constantly Shouting 'Foul Throw Ref'

TheFoodieReferee

Level 5 Referee
Had this back on Saturday, the same player kept shouting 'foul throw ref' for every single throw in the oppo's took. After the 8th time, I've pulled him in as well as his captain and told him to stop constantly screaming for a foul throw and advised him if we have to have this conversaiton again, it would be a different outcome. Que 3 minutes later, the same voice, just behind me 'foul throw ref', waited until the ball went out of play and booked him for unsporting behaviour. He still didn't get the picture and come the end of the game, he decided to have a pop at me over it to which I've just replied no worries mate, disappear now otherwise you'll get getting a second yellow. Thankfully his captains pulled him away apologising to me.

Anyone know if this is the correct way to deal with it? It's the first time I've had it where the same player has constantly called for them.

The Referee Store
I reckon so. I assume north of the border so caution for dissent rather than a sin bin?

I do think with some players "foul throw" is a form of tourettes.
Most likely, I’m up in Northumberland so not quite over the border just yet 😉😂

It really is, I honestly don’t get their obsession with it, surely there’s worse things going on during the game 🤦🏻‍♂️

Most likely, I’m up in Northumberland so not quite over the border just yet 😉😂

It really is, I honestly don’t get their obsession with it, surely there’s worse things going on during the game 🤦🏻‍♂️
Which I think is what @Viridis1886 is getting at.

This probably should be a dissent caution, not unsporting behaviour, and as you are this side of the border also a sin bin.

Persistent minor protesting, excessive appealing is all done as a form of dissent (to you not giving a foul throw) and should be managed as such.

I so think this is a far tougher sell as dissent than a normal caution - although I agree it probably should be a SinBin.

This will very much be seen as ‘asking the question’, so ‘how can it be dissent’

Agree, but I think that comes down to what was said to the captain. Use the word "dissent" or "sin bin" in that conversation (these persistent appeals are starting to sound like you're dissenting my decision not to give the foul throws / keep this up and I'll be thinking about a sin bin) and you've done all the setup you can.

All we can do with warnings is explain the consequences for continuing - as long as that's done clearly, that's the easiest you can make the "sell".

Yeah completely valid point. Set the player up for the fall and they can’t have complaints.

I so think this is a far tougher sell as dissent than a normal caution - although I agree it probably should be a SinBin.

This will very much be seen as ‘asking the question’, so ‘how can it be dissent’
It's not asking a question though is it? It's a player continuously and publicly both protesting at and disagreeing with your decision not to call a foul throw.

It completely matches the definition of dissent in the Laws glossary:

"Public protest or disagreement [...] with a match official’s decision."

"That's a foul ref"
"That's our ball if it goes ref"
"In the back ref"
"Handball ref"
"Foul throw ref"

See any similarities?
Come on George, are they all just "asking the question"?

Of course not. They're all examples of dissent by way of trying to undermine the referee and their decisions.

"That's a foul ref"
"That's our ball if it goes ref"
"In the back ref"
"Handball ref"
"Foul throw ref"

See any similarities?
Come on George, are they all just "asking the question"?

Of course not. They're all examples of dissent by way of trying to undermine the referee and their decisions.
Every single time someone sees a player go down under contact, you'll here 'that's a foul ref', every time there's a touch on the ball I'll be hearing "That's ours if it goes", etc., you get the gist of what I'm getting at.

To me, these are just parts of football, players are trained to ask for it, and personally I like to think I'm strong minded enough to not take their mindless waffle into mind when I make a decision. The furthest I'll go is remind them whose reffing and who needs to pipe it.

I have just come off a game where I have had a player spend the whole first half asking about every decision not going his way. 43rd minute I have the public rebuke and not a word. I've mentioned that as it shows I'm not completely opposed to a SinBin here - I got on the Stepped Approach, and eventually the player shut up.

However, saying these little phrases is not undermining to me. It's as common place as 'won the ball'.

On a side note: I've done many Step 5/6 lines this season. Not one S6 dismissal, and one SinBin when I asked for some level of sanction after a player came into my face and called me a "f*cking c*nt". I can't be the only one who thinks having this tolerance will get my crucified if I go up to 4?

Every single time someone sees a player go down under contact, you'll here 'that's a foul ref', every time there's a touch on the ball I'll be hearing "That's ours if it goes", etc., you get the gist of what I'm getting at.

To me, these are just parts of football, players are trained to ask for it, and personally I like to think I'm strong minded enough to not take their mindless waffle into mind when I make a decision. The furthest I'll go is remind them whose reffing and who needs to pipe it.

I have just come off a game where I have had a player spend the whole first half asking about every decision not going his way. 43rd minute I have the public rebuke and not a word. I've mentioned that as it shows I'm not completely opposed to a SinBin here - I got on the Stepped Approach, and eventually the player shut up.

However, saying these little phrases is not undermining to me. It's as common place as 'won the ball'.

On a side note: I've done many Step 5/6 lines this season. Not one S6 dismissal, and one SinBin when I asked for some level of sanction after a player came into my face and called me a "f*cking c*nt". I can't be the only one who thinks having this tolerance will get my crucified if I go up to 4?
I get all that George.
I still referee as well as observe you know ... ;)
Go back to the OP and the original point on this thread. The same player shouting the same thing every time!! Think what you like, but enough members on here have already said it - it's dissent. Simple as.

I had it in a game earlier this season where every time the home team had anyone go anywhere near them they claimed a foul, moaning at me for not giving it. Not enough for dissent in isolation but in the end I got fed up, called the captain over and said that the next player to do it was having a 10 minute rest. Didn't get a peep from them after that.

I know this wasn't foul throws, but it is a similar concept, they are using dissent against your decision to not penalise things. Dissent isn't just about decisions you do give, it can also be against decisions you don't give.

I get all that George.
I still referee as well as observe you know ... ;)
Go back to the OP and the original point on this thread. The same player shouting the same thing every time!! Think what you like, but enough members on here have already said it - it's dissent. Simple as.
No, I take your point on board and I do think you're right. In the context of it being one player repeatedly, about the same thing, I agree they should probably be shut up and have 10mins off.

My own views on dissent/OFFINABUS are clearly some of the more tolerant ones out there, but I agree with you in this situation! :) However, the concerning lack of action at Step 5/6 is a worthy thread in itself.

Reactions: Kes
Back