A&H

Player/Kit check

The Referee Store
Stand facing the player, hold your hads out and say

"rings, bracelets, (move a hand up to your collar) necklaces, (hands up to your ear lobes) earings and studs all off? (gesture to turn around) boots please, thanks"

Starting at their hands looking up to wrists, then neck line, ears, then thy'll turn and flick one foot, then t'other.

If you do the action, and you state the action you want them to do, naturally humans will follow the visual actions and audible command they hear. Hence puting your hands out

If you find anything point it out that it needs to come off, then do a David Cameron - Move on to the next player quickly. This does not allow you to get into conversation with them as if they want to protest - you're now already doing the next persons kit. When don the next, come back to him as see if it has been removed. If of, all good, if not be confident - it needs to come off please - you're not coming on till it's off, and move to the next player.

There is a certain amount of arogance that is needed such that they understand that you want it off, and there is no exception. By buysing yourself with the other players you are shoing that you know you have a job to do, and will do it regardless.

NB if a keeper has already got his gloves on, you are not going to be on his Christmas card list if you demand him to take them off to check for rings. You can always gently squeeze over his fingers if you have doubts.

and in womens football be even more vigilat - nose rings, studs in other parts of the ear, Trachus, Conch, Rook etc.

Oh and you'll always get the "what about the one in my c#co / nipple / belly button (and once a cl!t from a lady) piercing". how you wish to anser that is up to you""

Thanks for the reply. Do you recommend going over to the team asking them to line up then check or do you suggest a different way?
Stand facing the player, hold your hads out and say

"rings, bracelets, (move a hand up to your collar) necklaces, (hands up to your ear lobes) earings and studs all off? (gesture to turn around) boots please, thanks"

Starting at their hands looking up to wrists, then neck line, ears, then thy'll turn and flick one foot, then t'other.

If you do the action, and you state the action you want them to do, naturally humans will follow the visual actions and audible command they hear. Hence puting your hands out

If you find anything point it out that it needs to come off, then do a David Cameron - Move on to the next player quickly. This does not allow you to get into conversation with them as if they want to protest - you're now already doing the next persons kit. When don the next, come back to him as see if it has been removed. If of, all good, if not be confident - it needs to come off please - you're not coming on till it's off, and move to the next player.

There is a certain amount of arogance that is needed such that they understand that you want it off, and there is no exception. By buysing yourself with the other players you are shoing that you know you have a job to do, and will do it regardless.

NB if a keeper has already got his gloves on, you are not going to be on his Christmas card list if you demand him to take them off to check for rings. You can always gently squeeze over his fingers if you have doubts.

and in womens football be even more vigilat - nose rings, studs in other parts of the ear, Trachus, Conch, Rook etc.

Oh and you'll always get the "what about the one in my c#co / nipple / belly button (and once a cl!t from a lady) piercing". how you wish to anser that is up to you""

sometimes i'll just give them a good look while they're all warming up. If they are in a group then a quick walk around them, a few good mornings and start upstairs with earrings etc as you get to make eye contact and not appear rude... check hands, down to shin pads and boots. You can see if they mouldys or studs, and if the latter then go in for a closer look. Sometimes they will volunteer to line up for you, sometimes not... but i dont tend to make a meal out of it generally. If they are scattered all over the place then i'll call them in and they'll more often than not line up for you.

Thanks for the reply. Do you recommend going over to the team asking them to line up then check or do you suggest a different way?
Personally, I'll assemble the teams as they're stretching (2 teams separately, but the whole team at the same time) and give them a very short lecture - something along the lines of "Play to the whistle as the assistants are here to help me, remember the proper substitution procedure and understand the different between talking to me and talking at me. Any questions? OK, I just need to check that no one is wearing rings, earrings etc. and then I'll check your boots" and then go round the circle.

Takes about 60 seconds once they've assembled and both fulfils your requirements to check their kit and allows you to set out pre-game what you expect from them. However I've raised this suggestion on this forum before and found others don't take this approach....

Captain, when you've got a sec can i have a word please:

Gents, good afternoon, how we all doing? How's the season going / gone / welcome to the new / this is the last etc

An from hereon please refer to the numerous posts on "pre-Match" as don't want another for no apparent reason.

@GraemeS never use the L word - lecture. Never either give a lecture, nor be on the receeving end of someone who wants to give one. If it's short (as you inscinuate) it;s not a lecture. There are billions of words, use them (with caution)!

Captain, when you've got a sec can i have a word please:

Gents, good afternoon, how we all doing? How's the season going / gone / welcome to the new / this is the last etc

An from hereon please refer to the numerous posts on "pre-Match" as don't want another for no apparent reason.

@GraemeS never use the L word - lecture. Never either give a lecture, nor be on the receeving end of someone who wants to give one. If it's short (as you inscinuate) it;s not a lecture. There are billions of words, use them (with caution)!
Fair point! I always ask for a "quick chat" in the actual situation - I only said "lecture" above to imply that at least the first bit should be 1-sided.

The answer to the male version is as my (female) friend says, Well let's not talk about the little things in life...

My own version is, Well that's really going to hurt if someone happens to catch it and it gets pulled out...

I really don't think referees should be saying anything to the teams before the game in terms of what they will and won't expect. I just sets you up for a fall - I've heard referees say any swearing and you're off, then they don't act on it (or don't hear it) and they've got players in their ear with "you said you would send off for that". Talk to the captains at the toss, but I really don't like seeing referees get the teams together to lecture them, and I hate it even more when they do into their changing rooms to do it.

In terms of checking just line them up and check front and back. Try to arrange with the manager / captain when is convenient to do it as you'll gain their respect if you do it without interrupting their team talk and / or warm up.

Had a great example of that Tuesday evening...

Ref says to me and the other captain "If you talk to my ARs, I have no choice but to caution you."

Lots of talk to the ARs during the game. No cautions for that.

I find talking to the captains at the toss to be entirely pointless, when have you ever seen a captain turn round and communicate those instructions to the rest of the team? All you're doing there is giving the same instructions/guidelines, but just to 2 people rather than the 22 that are actually going to play the game.

You have to avoid giving specific "ultimatums", but then that's good practice while refereeing in general, not just in a pre-match chat. But where in my previous post did I say I give ultimatums? I've made that mistake before, I'm sure every referee has at some point in their career, but I've got the pre-match chat sorted in my head now and (to bring it back to the thread topic at hand!), it gives me the opportunity to do a pre-match kit check too. I suspect everyone else does roughly the same, just without the talking?

I'll size up kit during the warm up and have a discreet chat with discrepancies before I head back to my changing room. I'll then enter each team changing room and ask all players to sit down. I'll then check all boots and hands for jewellery before wishing them good luck and leaving the room.

I used to have a wee chat with teams beforehand etc, but I found it was either a waste of time or it sets me up for a fall. E.g. "I dont mind you talking to me during the game lads ...." - cue players screaming at me and when I warn or caution for dissent they refer back to that statement!

Best to be informal. If working with club assistants I brief them in front of the captains so the captains know what I have asked them to do. I ask them to signal ball in and out of play i.e. throw ins, corners and goal kicks and to indicate the direction if they are sure which way it is. I also ask them to do offsides and to keep the flag right up until I have seen them and blown the whistle. I tell them that I might decide to disregard them and I smile and ask them not to be offended if I do so. I tell them not to give me fouls as I will do that to save the teams getting on their backs. If the captains know I am doing fouls they tend to tell their teammates the very first time one of them asks the assistant for a foul.
I just tell captains that I will talk to them and explain what I have given and I tell them to talk to me and not shout at me from a distance. I also tell them that if I call a player over to speak to them they are welcome to come and join me unless I ask them to go away. They rarely do as it often involves extra running.

Back