A&H

POR-URU Matchday 8 (Faghani - Iran)

I've not tuned in for much of this Tournament. Thought I'd boycott it as much as poss. Shame more folk haven't taken the same tact
Besides, we can always get the Comedy Gold Ref/VAR stuff through every media channel on a daily basis
For clarity, I haven't seen it, but anyone with a phone connected to the internet could hardly dodge this 'trender'

The Referee Store
The VAR protocol in the Laws are already down that path. It says slow motion is to determine point of contact but full speed for deciding offense vs no offense.
I was wondering whether any merit in slow motions not available at all.

I've not tuned in for much of this Tournament. Thought I'd boycott it as much as poss. Shame more folk haven't taken the same tact
Besides, we can always get the Comedy Gold Ref/VAR stuff through every media channel on a daily basis
For clarity, I haven't seen it, but anyone with a phone connected to the internet could hardly dodge this 'trender'
For your information big cat, I have been boycotting the tournament as well, but only when I have work.

I was wondering whether any merit in slow motions not available at all.
Slow motion is good for judging point of contact or whether there’s a tight call for in/out of the penalty area for example, but I’m of the opinion that if a referee needs to see it multiple times in slow motion to make a decision then it’s not a clear and obvious error

Absolute garbage decision made worse by the fact the clown in the VAR room was Australian as I am. Never in a million years a pen unless all those videos IFAB showed me are lies.

Just picked up the highlights... That's a clear handball...

And I am obviously joking. If that's isn't the very definition of justifiable / consequential to the players movement for that specific situation then it really ought to not be written there!!

As an aside... AR near side running inside the FOP in the build up 🤷‍♂️

Also in the highlights you can see the ref still seems undecided as he walks back on the pitch. It is almost as if he has decided no pen, but changes mind as worried over consequences of ignoring a referral.

Also in the highlights you can see the ref still seems undecided as he walks back on the pitch. It is almost as if he has decided no pen, but changes mind as worried over consequences of ignoring a referral.
There is definitely pressure on the R once the VAR sends it down as the R knows that another qualified referee has concluded that the handling is clear and obvious. But there are only negative consequences from not accepting a proper referral. There are also negative consequences from accepting an improper referral. But I seriously doubt he was undecided when he left the VAR booth, as my understanding of VAR process is the R and VAR will verbally confirm what the decision is before he leaves the booth. Unhappy with the decision he feels like he has to make seems more likely.

I thought he looked furtive, even smirking

There is definitely pressure on the R once the VAR sends it down as the R knows that another qualified referee has concluded that the handling is clear and obvious. But there are only negative consequences from not accepting a proper referral. There are also negative consequences from accepting an improper referral. But I seriously doubt he was undecided when he left the VAR booth, as my understanding of VAR process is the R and VAR will verbally confirm what the decision is before he leaves the booth. Unhappy with the decision he feels like he has to make seems more likely.
The problem is we will never know what the undocumented consequences of not going with a VAR referral, at least not until a referee retires and tells his story. Think back to the last WC final, the referee was so unsure he walked away from the screen then turned around and went back to it, that wasn't the action of a man who has any confidence the decision he is about to give, and rather someone who is deeply unhappy about what he is about to do. Remember Graham Scott ignoring a review in the EPL and he didn't get another game for ages.

I actually thought Faghani last night was going to do the same as Pitana did 4 years ago, he seemed so hesitant I thought he was going to turn round and have another look.

Back