A&H

Positioning for corners without Linesmen.

RobOda

RefChat Addict
Level 3 Referee
Okay, general question here.

How do you guys like to position yourself for corner kicks without a linesman?

My initial training told me to stand at the far side of the box from where the corner was being taken. However, I've found I have more success identifying fouls by standing on the near side looking 'in' on them.

I'm in two minds on this one because I'm reluctant to abandon what I've been taught, yet I'm getting more success doing things this way. What do you guys do? Should I persist with my own method and explain it if I get pulled up on it in future, or am I missing something fundamental by doing it this way?

The Referee Store
I was taught one of the first and biggest decisions from a corner will be ball in or out of play or goal/no goal. This isn't to say fouls and pushing should not be looked for.

The advise I was given was to start at the position you mentioned but don't always go there. If at one corner there seems to be some nonsense at the front post, move to the edge of the penalty area at the next corner so players know you are watching everywhere and cannot hide.

Personally always stood on the goal line on the far side to the corner.

I can see the advantages to this but personally think it puts you at a big disadvantage having to run through a crowd of players for a longer distance if there's a counter attack. Why make things harder than they already are?

Reactions: one
Need to vary your position gentlemen. If you don't the players will notice and know where they can get away with the little stuff. If you get to know the type of ball the taker will play, that can help too. Be on the move as the ball comes in. I'd mostly stand far side from the taker both deep or on the line but beginning to move as the ball comes in. Occasionally, just for variety, I'd stand near side and let the ball come over me, the assessors don't seem to like that one though.

With no ARs... What he said: variation. I also agree that goal/no goal (and offences against the GK, pushes in front of goal) are key, so I do like being close to the far post. But that has disadvantages... Breakaways yes, but also looking through a crowd of bodies at the drop zone for outswingers.

So, I often start at the back stick, and move towards the standard position. I will also try to stick to the diagonal and be near side of the D for right side corners. Or start close to problem players.

I actually leant this on RefChat and I think it works: in lower leagues with no ARs, if you do different movement on the first 2-3 corners, combined with a bit of pro-active "no pushing" it sets you up nicely for the rest of the game, you perhaps get a bit of respect, and they maybe play nice;)

Edit:... Maybe it is because at corners you are close to maybe 16, 17 players... And in that lull before the jostling and the run up, your body language, and verbals have a massive impact on the whole group... Maybe....

Last edited:
I can see the advantages to this but personally think it puts you at a big disadvantage having to run through a crowd of players for a longer distance if there's a counter attack. Why make things harder than they already are?
I think maybe for me thats not really an issue. I am lucky in that my sprint speed is probably quicker than 90% of the players that i am reffing so having to cover an extra 15 yards in a breakaway is not a problem.

This position gives you both fouls and ball in /out of play /goal /no goal.

I cant say that I've been caught out from this position before. I personally feel that from the edge of the area you have no chance of calling the ball in or out for sure. For me its worth the sacrifice and the work rate to be better positioned for that eventuality..

No set position. Ideally somewhere you can judge ball in out play and drop zone, however, think about what foot the kicker is going to kick with, chances of it going straight out of play? Less than slim
Vary it, for lots of reasons, not just to see fouls but so the players dont catch on that you stick like glue to one spot, if they see this, then they can alter there plans to hold push, knowing you are elsewhere or with view blocked
Ultimately, the right place, is from where you can make the right call

Def my own advice is do not stand six yard box front post, you can see nothing of the drop zone, and, keeper claims high ball, punts it up park, your 60 yards to make up from a standing start, through a ruck of players

Edge of the penalty area close to the goal line loud shouts before the first couple of corners, telling players to pack it in as they start the jostling. When I first started I was using the NAR positioning as taught on my course but on one of my first CAR gig I asked the ref about his positioning and he said I need to be in a position to see if the ball has crossed the line. KMI. I have speed so can motor up the field I sometimes have to check my speed so I dont get too close!

I was taught one of the first and biggest decisions from a corner will be ball in or out of play or goal/no goal.

Right. From the inside I'm obviously sacrificing the ability to tell if the ball is in/out of play. Though, I can cut in further/wider to identify goal/no goal - or at least, my natural movement is to move wide, inside the box when the players flood forward, and in-line but out of the box (to the middle) when the ball is evidently going high and over to the back post.

Occasionally, just for variety, I'd stand near side and let the ball come over me, the assessors don't seem to like that one though.

That's partially one thing I'm worried about, despite the perceived benefits in my view. The first few corners I tend to vary to try and figure out what type of delivery I'm going to see predominantly. I've found a lot of clubs are getting it to the near-post, with the occasional runner from deep through the middle - That one's a bit annoying as I can't move across the box so freely. :(

I brought that up at the training event and was told not to do that in general, outside of being very very fit! Not criticising you though, have actually encountered a few referees through the years who favour that position, and I've used it myself sometimes. :)

Ultimately, the right place, is from where you can make the right call

Yeah, for sure. I guess I should experiment a bit further and move around a bit more and see where that takes me.

As has been said, mix it up a bit. The danger of the far post is if they take a short one, you are hopelessly out of position and looking through a lot of players. Take the near post and you've got to have your back to the players whilst you check that the taker kicks the ball legally and it doesn't go out of play and come back in.

Elsewhere on the forum, where members have submitted their promotion assessments, i've read observer advice indicating the expected starting position, with the caveat of quickly advancing along the edge of the box to a central position if the corner is heading front post

Just got home from a match. And as usual, KMI from a corner.

Came in at the near post, luckily I was in that area to see what was going on. Two players go for it, attacker wins the header, it's not a strong one though. Mass of bodies get in trying to clear it, and as it goes over some legs I hear a resounding thump of someone punching the ball away. Cue; HUGE appeals for handball.

And there's me, looking like a tit, as I haven't seen it. :cry: I've heard it though, but I can't go on that.

Why I missed it? Not entirely sure, was in a (supposedly) great position to see where the ball was going, but I couldn't see the hand, or who had punched it due to everyone getting together. Oh dear. One to work on I think! :D

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Need to vary your position gentlemen. If you don't the players will notice and know where they can get away with the little stuff. If you get to know the type of ball the taker will play, that can help too. Be on the move as the ball comes in. I'd mostly stand far side from the taker both deep or on the line but beginning to move as the ball comes in. Occasionally, just for variety, I'd stand near side and let the ball come over me, the assessors don't seem to like that one though.
Minty’s exceptional variational positional ability always seemed to strike a chord with the players...... and the inner centre circle too!

Back