A&H

Promotion criteria level 5 to 4

Aerial

Level 5 Referee
Hi is anyone in here going for level 4 from 5,6 from west riding county fa, and if so what do you think about been asked to do a minimum of 10 lines

The Referee Store
It's not just WRCFA that have to do 10 lines, from what I understand. I think it's all counties.

Personally, I agree with the decision. When (if) you get to L4, you're expected to do a lot of lining, far more than you'll do middles. With that being the case, all new L4's should be comfortable on the line and know what they're doing. I can't tell you how many times I saw L4's opposite me on the line who had no idea what to do!

I agree with the change wholeheartedly, but the issue for us L4 promotion candidates is that this has come in "mid-season" which is a little frustrating.

Under the old rules, I proactively requested a number of lino appointments for the end of season evening fixtures (April/May) in my league, and managed to get 6 in. Therefore I thought I had completed the requirement and could concentrate on getting the rest of the middles in. Now I have had to request some more lines. I know it's not a big deal in the scheme of things, but I would imagine there are a lot of people who are now worrying how they can fit all of the games in.

It's a shame they couldn't have announced this at the appropriate time.

Sorry for being slightly off topic but now that 10 lines are needed does that mean that only 10 middles are now needed instead of 15 to make 20 games in total?

Sorry for being slightly off topic but now that 10 lines are needed does that mean that only 10 middles are now needed instead of 15 to make 20 games in total?
No, as the lines were always in addition to the middles, I suspect that you will still need to do 20 middles for promotion requirements.

There is a general lack of assistants at Supply League level, so getting more L4 promotion candidates seems to be a solution.

As well, when you become a L4 you will be doing approx two lines to every middle. At Contrib if your lining is poor, you will be quickly found out. Your lack of experience could seriously affect the referees match control and therefore more experience is better. You will also get some assessments on your lining, so this can only improve you.

No, as the lines were always in addition to the middles, I suspect that you will still need to do 20 middles for promotion requirements.

There is a general lack of assistants at Supply League level, so getting more L4 promotion candidates seems to be a solution.

As well, when you become a L4 you will be doing approx two lines to every middle. At Contrib if your lining is poor, you will be quickly found out. Your lack of experience could seriously affect the referees match control and therefore more experience is better. You will also get some assessments on your lining, so this can only improve you.

I thought you only needed 15 middles from 5-4? I presumed you did 5 less than 7-6 and 6-5 as you needed 5 lines so it would still make a total of 20 games?

I get the feeling that the FA now have about the right number of Level 4s.

Last season, things were a lot calmer for me on the line. 2-3 lines a month towards the end.

In addition, they have tightened up the demotion criteria for L4. It's now possible to be demoted if you are DE or ED in bandings, and the FA also reserves the right to remove based on administration, fitness and availability. These are now 'black and white' in the pre-season informational emails.

I get the feeling that the FA now have about the right number of Level 4s.

Last season, things were a lot calmer for me on the line. 2-3 lines a month towards the end.

In addition, they have tightened up the demotion criteria for L4. It's now possible to be demoted if you are DE or ED in bandings, and the FA also reserves the right to remove based on administration, fitness and availability. These are now 'black and white' in the pre-season informational emails.
Depends entirely on area as to how many 4's. But the reason they've added in these additional rules for demotion is because they promoted such utter dross in the past 2/3 years due to shortage, they've got to find a way to get rid of them! And this isn't propaganda or rumour, this is from the horse's mouth within The FA said VERY unofficially and because I know the said person well.

L4's need to be VERY careful over the next 2 marking seasons as there will be the biggest number of demotions for a long time!

The majority of supply league football isn't that difficult to referee.

The lower performing referees could just be given the easy games which there are plenty of.

I don't think the FA are in a position numbers wise to demote many referees.

Agreed, in some countries there is a shortage of 5-4 candidates this & next season. With the "Pools" operating across the country, these areas of shortage are being covered by larger countries ie North Riding & West Riding.

I am on the scheme this year and I think it better having to run the line a few more times as it gives you that extra expernice

I've not refereed on a Saturday because I've been AR every week, I look bigger picture on it, if I get to L4 next year I'll need to be the best AR I can be or I'll be knackered when I'm trying for L3! I've signed up to 2 Midweek leagues as well to give me as much exposure to lining as I can get!

Face it, if you want to progress then AR is key to your success. If it isn't what you want to do then you may as well stop now!

I've not refereed on a Saturday because I've been AR every week, I look bigger picture on it, if I get to L4 next year I'll need to be the best AR I can be or I'll be knackered when I'm trying for L3! I've signed up to 2 Midweek leagues as well to give me as much exposure to lining as I can get!

Face it, if you want to progress then AR is key to your success. If it isn't what you want to do then you may as well stop now!

It's good that you appreciate the importance of lining. It's an art in itself.

However, it's your refereeing that will get you to level 4. Then as a level 4 referee it is your refereeing that will get you to level 3 not your lining. Only then at level 3 is there a promotion pathway for assisting.

If your coming into October and not refereed on a Saturday yet I personally think you should be focusing on refereeing. With a ratio of two middles to one line maybe more.

I raised this with RDO at County querying if it would hold me back. He said he's aware, and because I'm not closing dates it's not a problem.

Think he must have had a word with someone though because next month I'm County Cup middle, League middle, District Cup middle, Leagur middle, League AR.

We HAVE to give them priority for lines, so he chose. Few weeks ago I didn't have a game on a Saturday and had been asking for weeks so took matters into my own hands and rang my RDO - he gave me a line on Huddersfield Academy in the morning and I sorted a game in the afternoon with Huddersfield League.....then later that evening before I could close date with West Yorkshire League he had put me on line because of a back word......Other 2 games went Cheerio! To the line I went! It's compulsory!

And what I meant by it being key is that you have to do them as you go higher. Not that your ability pays a part to getting you promoted necessarily- I think it does though.

Getting to level 4 by barely doing any Saturday middles? There is supposed to be a national promotion criteria, your county shouldn't be forcing level 6's to do games as assistant referee.

I've always found it best to get as cosy as possible with the ref secretary of your local league and keep them aware of your status, if you need middles they will generally help you out, and likewise for when you need lines. The RDO is all well and good, but getting in the ear of the secretary is more effective long term.

Also, being away from middles for even 2 or 3 weeks can seriously mess you up, just like the start of a new season. Try and keep the middles going as much as possible. I've been in US for the last 4 weeks and I'm dreading my "comeback" next week. I'm bound to be assessed as well.

The majority of supply league football isn't that difficult to referee.

The lower performing referees could just be given the easy games which there are plenty of.

They are now and have been working towards it for about 4 seasons.

Back