A&H

Promotions - Season Ending 2024

Got L5 this year and just missed criteria for 3W. Been told the next window for that is end of 24/25 season; i.e. no mid-season promotions on women's pathway. New directive from FA I believe. Won't put me off, just another season of getting good experience behind me and continuing to ref on Step 7/6 and do lines on step 5. Congrats to all who saw a promotion come through.

The Referee Store
Not for Match Day Coaching, as they all get promoted if they stick with the process, unless they give up during a period in which they might be held back
Different with my County FA. If they tick too many boxes to the left of the form then they simply keep going on to another MDC until those Development Points move right. ;) I know one individual that's had 4 MDCs at 6-5 so far ...

As an Observer and MDC Report writer, it's always quite gratifying to see a referee on whom I've reported get promoted. :)

Any other Observers/MDCs feel the same way?
Oh lord yes. I nominated one mentee and he got a local FA award. I was over the moon.

Reactions: Kes
Not for Match Day Coaching, as they all get promoted if they stick with the process, unless they give up during a period in which they might be held back
That's what the FA wanted, but some counties are not promoting people if they meet the criteria but get too many focus for developments.

Reactions: Kes
Best Level 3 I've been out with..... Reclassified to L4... found out last night
Another good L3 reclassified without a single Major Dev all season
The L3's I know are up for Promotion were not very good on the occasions I was out with them this year
Of course, I see these Refs on any given day. As do the Observers. Good Refs having off-days? Poor Refs having good days? Both? Neither?
There's one L3 I've been out with about 6 times, their Match Day Coaching Reports would take some time to write. All seems a bit random
I can't make much sense of the local movers and shakers

Last edited:
Best Level 3 I've been out with..... Reclassified to L4... found out last night
Another good L3 reclassified without a single Major Dev all season
The L3's I know are up for Promotion were not very good on the occasions I was out with them this year
Of course, I see these Refs on any given day. As do the Observers. Good Refs having off-days? Poor Refs having good days? Both? Neither?
There's one L3 I've been out with about 6 times, their Match Day Coaching Reports would take some time to write. All seems a bit random
I can't make much sense of the local movers and shakers

Had to double check my emails, you had me worried! 😉

On the subject of these promotions, is it possible for people to be put down from 5 to 6? Only I didn't think it was but a few years ago a friend of my dad was a 5, stopped, he's starting again next season but has been told he has to go from level 7 again.

On the subject of these promotions, is it possible for people to be put down from 5 to 6? Only I didn't think it was but a few years ago a friend of my dad was a 5, stopped, he's starting again next season but has been told he has to go from level 7 again.
From the FA Handbook for 2023-24:
A Referee who has failed to register as a Referee with The Association for between two and three seasons shall not be re-registered until they have successfully undertaken and completed a Laws of the Game examination, as determined by the Affiliated Association. A Referee who has not been registered for between three and five seasons must successfully complete two online development modules and successfully undertaken and completed a Laws of the Game examination, as determined by the Affiliated Association. The Affiliated Association may then register the Referee at their former Level (up to Senior County Referee) once they are satisfied with their competence. A Referee who has not been registered for more than three seasons must attend and successfully complete the practical assessment and examination of The FA Referee Course, at which point they will be registered at a level (up to Senior County Referee) determined by the Affiliated Association. The Affiliated Association must not charge more than the sum determined from time to time by The Association for attendance at the assessment and examination

If you don't register for 3 years or more it is at the discretion of your CFA whether you go back to your old level or not once you have passed your exams again.

Had to double check my emails, you had me worried! 😉
Actually, yeh, I was genuinely impressed with you, especially as you'd only just gone up. Most of the time, I'm messing about to some extent, but straight-up, you've got a chance of going places. Which seemingly means I've just crucified you!
It's just that I've seen this other very good L3 three or four times and I'm genuinely surprised to see him relegated. He's only 22 I think, so I just said to him, 'this could be the making of him'. Saving grace... he'll likely be in a different pool from me

If you don't register for 3 years or more it is at the discretion of your CFA whether you go back to your old level or not once you have passed your exams again.
Passed an exam? On my course we didn't take any exams and all qualified, receiving certificates/badges etc. Have my CFA basically forgotten something? Also, thanks for answering!

Passed an exam? On my course we didn't take any exams and all qualified, receiving certificates/badges etc. Have my CFA basically forgotten something? Also, thanks for answering!
The exam used to be a practical assessment during the course; now it is done online (5 modules, each tested) before attending the course

Back