A&H

Prospects for the last 8 (OT fan stuff)

santa sangria

RefChat Addict
Fan moment: how good are Portugal? In the build up to this, I think 7/8 of the quarters are nailed on: Ned, Arg, Eng, Fra, Bra, Spa, Por… actually how good are any of these? Ned are prosaic but well coached, Arg are patchy, Eng can be nullified and the spine is in question, Fra strong but unpredictable, Brazil injuries a big problem, Spain are Spain can keep the ball, but Portugal… I’m confused.. best finisher in the world and amazing creative players.., can they beat Spain?

Sorry OT

The Referee Store
For me Portugal are a bit like Belgium, look amazing on paper with the players they have, but never really live up to the expectations.

Despite their disjointed performances so far, can't see anything other than a comfortable Argentina win tonight.

Expecting a few early Aussie yellow cards as they try to nullify the attacking threat of Messi & co!

Fan moment: how good are Portugal? In the build up to this, I think 7/8 of the quarters are nailed on: Ned, Arg, Eng, Fra, Bra, Spa, Por… actually how good are any of these? Ned are prosaic but well coached, Arg are patchy, Eng can be nullified and the spine is in question, Fra strong but unpredictable, Brazil injuries a big problem, Spain are Spain can keep the ball, but Portugal… I’m confused.. best finisher in the world and amazing creative players.., can they beat Spain?

Sorry OT
I think a lot depends on Ronaldo. When they won the Euros, he was unable to play because of injury. I think he and they play too much though him, and they are abetter team without me. But he can score (and get a penalty) at any time.

QF Spain v Portugal on next Sat (I think) should be really good match, before England v France.

I few like there is going to be a shocker in this round of matches. If I had to pick one, (sorry England fans) I think it really could be Senegal over England. Could also see Switzerland over Portugal because of Jan Sommer.

Thanks to the forum Vader for hiving this thread off;)

I think it’s already hard to see past Spain, Brazil and the Dutch for the semis. Van Gaal a bit arrogant today but his side looked very well equipped for the Messi test.

So it with great sadness that the two matches today, if the favourites win, would lead to a France-England quarter. France do look like the strongest team, most depth, and probably the Mbest player in the world right now. That is very unfortunate for England as they have the hardest path to the semis!

But Portugal, something keeps ringing in my ears, and it’s… Bernado Silva. He’s already shown he can turn matches in the tournament. And at the big teams - we have seen how the City players are dominant and on a different level. This didn’t work for Gundogan and De Bruyne - maybe as they didn’t have enough quality around them. But Silva has quality around him. I really hope there’s a Spain Portugal quarter - has me salivating already.

^I think England fans, and I’m one, also believe generally that Foden is the player we have that is another level. The challenge for GS is where to play him. And to me, it seems bizarre that the focus in the meejah is on him replacing Mount. Surely the problem GS has is that he is understandably too loyal to Sterling. Grealish and Foden play left forward for City. For me Foden has to start left forward for England.

Press reports that GS could start Foden-Kane-Rashford with a midfield of Rice-Jude-Hendo have some logic - but I think that’s presuming we have all the possession and need Hendo’s range if passing. I think GS wants a more balanced side than that, and won’t start both Foden and Rashford as they don’t track back as well as other options.

And Walker, I wouldn’t risk starting him, play him for 40 mins to maximize his chances of playing 75+ against France IF we win. Which way would you gamble?

Would love to see Sénégal make it through, and represent African Football, however I believe England will sit back once they score, and take the win. England France will be a really exciting game if we get it

I expect England to scrape past Senegal, but get comfortably beaten by the French. The media will go into their usual post-tournament meltdown about tactics, where it went wrong blah blah blah, whilst ignoring the fact our tournament qualification groups are embarrassingly easy and as soon as we face anyone remotely decent, we get taught a lesson!

I find watching England painful. Stopped watching or caring about friendlies and qualifiers years ago. Successive England managers just seem to fall into the same trap, talk a good game, but continue to pick players on reputation and ignore form/fitness and struggle to work out how to get the best from the players. Then come out with all the same excuses.

Tournament winners are not always the best possible 11 players at that time. Sometimes a player will almost singlehandedly drag their side through a tournament (Maradonna in '86, Messi came close in 2014) other times a team will just click together and become almost unplayable, even without a regular goalscorer (France 98/Spain 2010) or there is Brazil who were almost unplayable and had an exceptional goalscorer '94 & 2002.

So far Spain, France & Brazil have probably been the best sides in this tournament but have shown they they are beatable. Had some shocks already and wouldn't surprise me if there are a few more before the tournament is over.

From a refereeing point of view, I wonder what the lowest red card count for a tournament is? Surprised we have had only 2 so far, normally world cups seem to have an early flurry of red in the first week and then calms down a bit.

Last edited:
No team is really playing that well, which leaves it wide open. Messi is dragging a very average looking Argentina along with him, Netherlands haven't really impressed me at all, and Brazil haven't exactly pulled up any trees. Spain probably look the best, but who knows how their youngsters will fare in more competitive knock out games. France obviously have Mbappe, probably the best player in the World at the moment, but England, assuming they get past Senegal, arguably have the best equipped right back to cope with him, and they have weaknesses in other areas of the team.

People write off England, but they are one of only three teams to win the groups unbeaten. People say it was an easy group, but it was actually the only group where all four teams are ranked in FIFA's top 20. The big worry at the start was their defence, but Maguire seems to have some confidence back, Stones has always been top class, there are three strong right backs and a decent left back. Southgate has to try and find a way of getting the best out of Foden, and that has to be to take the leash off him like Pep does at Man City, let him play where he wants when he wants. The last game he played Henderson furthest forward of the midfield three, that might be OK against Wales but it won't be against France and he has arguably the most in form attacking midfielder in the country sat on the bench in Maddison, plus Mount and Grealish. Henderson has been a good servant, but with the emergence of Bellingham and Phillips, I can't help thinking he is being picked on sentimentality, plus his leadership skills.

In terms of refereeing, you have to fear for the European officials as if the last 16 games go to form / rankings 6 of the remaining 8 teams will be European. FIFA seem to be sticking with continent neutrality in the knockout rounds, only Marciniak and Turpin have had last 16 games so far, and only Portugal vs Switzerland remains as a suitable game for a UEFA referee. Danny Makkelie might be out of the running depending on how the committee viewed the Messi penalty award, plus Netherlands already in the quarters. Depending on country progress, Lahoz, Oliver, Taylor and Turpin could all be ruled out, Kovacs has only been used as a 4th official, and Frappart doesn't have a team out there with her so I doubt she will go any further. That only leaves Marciniak, Orsato, Siebert and Vincic, and I suspect Orsato will get the final.

From a refereeing point of view, I wonder what the lowest red card count for a tournament is? Surprised we have had only 2 so far, normally world cups seem to have an early flurry of red in the first week and then calms down a bit.
If I'm right, I read it was 0 somewhere (this it talking WC)

Can't remember which one it was, will search for it

How reliable are FIFA rankings though? Belgium for example have been in the top 2 or so for longer than I care to remember, but when it comes to tournaments, they fall well short of expectations. Is it because they choke on the big occasions or that people have been lulled by a high ranking that falsely represents their actual level?

How reliable are FIFA rankings though? Belgium for example have been in the top 2 or so for longer than I care to remember, but when it comes to tournaments, they fall well short of expectations. Is it because they choke on the big occasions or that people have been lulled by a high ranking that falsely represents their actual level?
Definitely the latter, England were high for many years through 2000-2015 without being anywhere near that high in reality

Definitely the latter, England were high for many years through 2000-2015 without being anywhere near that high in reality
Because they used to be based on all competitive games, and England typically do well in qualifying, the McLaren disaster aside in 2008.

They are now based on all games, but the formula takes into account the importance of the game as well as the strength of the opponent. At one end of the scale a friendly has an importance of 05, a Euro Championship group stage is 35, through to the WC QF onwards being 60. So in theory teams that do well in qualifying but choke at tournaments should now drop down the rankings.

All explained here is anyone needs help sleeping 😂 https://digitalhub.fifa.com/m/f99da4f73212220/original/edbm045h0udbwkqew35a-pdf.pdf

If I'm right, I read it was 0 somewhere (this it talking WC)

Can't remember which one it was, will search for it
The only World Cups where no players were dismissed were 1950 and 1970. One in 1930 and 1934, four in 1938, three in 1954, three in 1958, six in 1962, five in 1966 and 1974, three in 1978, five in 1982, eight in 1986, 16 in 1990, 15 in 1994, 22 in 1998, 17 in 2002, 28 in 2006, 17 in 2010, 10 in 2014, and four in 2018.

The only World Cups where no players were dismissed were 1950 and 1970. One in 1930 and 1934, four in 1938, three in 1954, three in 1958, six in 1962, five in 1966 and 1974, three in 1978, five in 1982, eight in 1986, 16 in 1990, 15 in 1994, 22 in 1998, 17 in 2002, 28 in 2006, 17 in 2010, 10 in 2014, and four in 2018.
The way matches are officiated now compared to 2006 and 2010 makes me think that sometimes I'm watching a completely different sport . . .

I hope you copy pasted that!

Would love to see a supplementary cup between the 16 teams knocked out. Some of them were proper mince.

Just catching up on some wider coverage over lunch… and I can’t find any mention of Mendy’s performance in goal. All three goals looked savable. Compare with Pickford making the right choice and keeping the game at 0-0. Mendy was also poor for Chelsea and dropped IIRC… the WC is not going great for the Chelsea players.

Before the match some commentators pointed out that Senegal’s ANC win was already their world cup final - and there was a conspicuous absence of intensity after the first half hour.

Where I’m going… the US with their pacey fullbacks and energetic press competed but not with the ball. I would have liked it if we had had a more competitive match in the tournament before France!

Back