A&H

PSG vs Istanbul

It's totally unprofessional, I agree. But to say the line 'a white authority figure chose to instruct another white authority figure to punish a black man' is just an awful way to describe one person having to point somebody out of a crowd. Wording it that way makes it sound as if he's targetting somebody who is black, for being black which is simply not the case. There's a HUGE line between carding somebody who happens to be black, and carding somebody because they are black.

During games, Sian Massey quite often gets pointed out as being a female AR at premier league level, if somebody doesn't know her name would it be sexist to describe her as female? Or is it only an issue if somebody is to be 'punished'?
It's fair to say that there is a LOT of context here, which I couldn't possibly begin to unpick even if I had weeks to write this post. The important thing is that the context does matter.

In the same way that I haven't got an issue with describing the coach as black in the context of the discussion we're having on here, describing Sian Massey as female is likely to be fine...99% of the time. But in the wrong context, or with the wrong tone or in the wrong situation, going out of your way to highlight the fact she is female could potentially be problematic. And I think part of trying to be a "good person" is doing your best to be aware of the context you're in wherever possible, particularly if you're in a traditionally privileged role.

The point is that we don't know what he heard, how accurately that matches up with what was actually said or how it was perceived by the coach in question. The one thing I do know is that coming online and (with nowhere near all the facts) telling the coach that he was wrong for reacting that way and shouldn't be so sensitive seems like it's definitely the wrong move at this point.

The Referee Store
Back