A&H

Public Bollockings

Josh the referee

Level 7 Referee
What's anyone's top tips for what to say Public Bollockings?

I sometimes struggle with finding the right thing to say in the minute, especially with youth football.

The Referee Store
Really comes down to a number of things. What the player has done, what the game is like, how confident you are, etc. personally I would make it clear that you could have cautioned for it, something like “I could have gone with a yellow for that but I’m giving you a chance”.

There’s no right and wrong answer though. I watched an EFL referee today warn the same player 6 times and not caution

I sometimes struggle with finding the right thing to say in the minute, especially with youth football.
What you actually say to the specific player isn't actually super important. The whole idea of a public word is that it communicates to all involved (players, spectators, officials etc) that you are unhappy with that player / that type of behaviour. As such, the body language you use communicates much more than the actual words themselves

Really comes down to a number of things. What the player has done, what the game is like, how confident you are, etc. personally I would make it clear that you could have cautioned for it, something like “I could have gone with a yellow for that but I’m giving you a chance”.

There’s no right and wrong answer though. I watched an EFL referee today warn the same player 6 times and not caution
6 times and no card is madness.

Depends where I am on the stepped approach.

First is eye contact and something along the lines of, keep that under control or that's not good enough.

Then when they are one short of a yellow I will say loudly, number # that is your last one, understood.

I would stay clear of saying things like that could have been a yellow, as the opposition will pounce on you, especially if you give/gave them a yellow for a reckless.

What you actually say to the specific player isn't actually super important. The whole idea of a public word is that it communicates to all involved (players, spectators, officials etc) that you are unhappy with that player / that type of behaviour. As such, the body language you use communicates much more than the actual words themselves
Totally agree with this.

With players that are really reluctant I often start with “… this isn’t for you, it’s for everyone else here…” and it has disarmed/calmed them.

When you’ve set up a ceremonial warning, What you don’t want is a player constantly trying to turn away. Worse still is if you build up and then “cut the grass” at their back!

Sometimes you can consider your starting position. If the player is a defender, you could approach or wheel to that side. More important is to get the player calm and still so you can do the “20 second” show.

Depends where I am on the stepped approach.

First is eye contact and something along the lines of, keep that under control or that's not good enough.

Then when they are one short of a yellow I will say loudly, number # that is your last one, understood.

I would stay clear of saying things like that could have been a yellow, as the opposition will pounce on you, especially if you give/gave them a yellow for a reckless.
I have been told by a level 3 to avoid saying things like ‘this is your last one or you’re booked’. It’s just incase you don’t follow through with that, it can make life difficult.
Or the opposition may start screaming for a yellow card if he commits the smallest infringement.

It really depends on circumstances though !

Don't like the sound of that
The warning is more about the message it communicates to everyone else in attendance, rather than the recipient
Our recent Level 4 meeting, the emphasis was on soft skills. Finger pointing and a demonstrative posture is not good IMO
Unless I've misunderstood you

I have been told by a level 3 to avoid saying things like ‘this is your last one or you’re booked’. It’s just incase you don’t follow through with that, it can make life difficult.
Or the opposition may start screaming for a yellow card if he commits the smallest infringement.

I tend to do it if they are 1 foul away from a yellow.

As the opposition will remind me if I forget hahaa. I genuinely find it useful.

I think in games team always moan about fouls, so I don't mind that much.

Yes, if you can, don't back yourself into a corner.

I use a phrase like "you're running a fine line now for offence(s), any more and you're likely to get a card".

That way you're giving a strong warning, letting the player know they're on your radar, and if it's a warning about a couple of tackles that were careless bordering reckless, but the next one is careless again, you can then up the warning to "next foul you commit will be a card for persistent infringement" (if the tackle is just careless again, but remember, PI isn't a set number or pattern of offences.

I think for the PB it doesn't matter too much what you say. I thinks it's much more a visual thing from r those all over the pitch and at the sides. I agree with @wazztie16 about avoiding finger wagging. I think simply isolating them, taking the time out of the game makes it clear that they are being given a warning. You're unlikely to be swapping tips on recipes.

I also like to have a word with the captain too. Either with the player or a quick word after. "My eyes are on him now skip, so he needs to keep it really clean or he's in the book".

It then firmly makes it the responsibility of the player, but also gets the captain involved.

As an observer, I feel that the sight of isolating the player and speaking with him is more important than the words used.

When refereeing, I used phases like "please no more, or I have a real decision to make"; "just be sensible with the challenges", "There was no need for your opinion, I saw it and dealt with it. If you keep offering your opinion, then I will have to shut you up".

Back