A&H

Quick Offside question

Darren83

Evening all, just a quick one, in my game today ball got played to the striker who was on the edge of the area and in an offside position, defender makes interception and is tackled by another attacker. I called offside against the attacker on the edge of the area as he is interfering with the defender. Is that the right call?

Also how do you guys make your offside calls? If the ball is played down the wing I run towards the fullback and try and create an angle and if it's central I try get an angle on the last defender.

Thanks all

The Referee Store
How did you determine that he was interfering? LOTG spell out what should be considered interfering with an opponent, it’s then up to you to determine if the attacker has done that.

No such thing as a quick question, not on here.....!
Sounds like an error to me......should have played on but I was not there......
Get wide is the only way to judge offside when working on your own....

Hmmn Laws of the Game 'Other Advice' for referees section may be worth a view.
This mentions that a player in an offside position can be penalised before playing or touching the ball if (in your opinion) no other team mate has the opportunity to play the ball. The graphic accompanying may be different to your scenario but I think it could apply..?

Hmmn Laws of the Game 'Other Advice' for referees section may be worth a view.
This mentions that a player in an offside position can be penalised before playing or touching the ball if (in your opinion) no other team mate has the opportunity to play the ball. The graphic accompanying may be different to your scenario but I think it could apply..?

Thanks mate I'll have a look . Not long been using the forum so apologies for the thread 😁

I gave one identical to the graphic a few months back. Player ripped into me saying he hadn't even touched the ball yet...Saying I didn't know the rules (sic)

Really wish I had had that to hand to show him ;)

I get to whip this out again:

Screenshot_20190923_062520.jpg

Sounds like you were wrong to give offside. It is not an offence to be offside. You must commit an offence. And whilst there is an argument to say that he is interfering in the common sense of the word, the lotg has set criteria for what defines interfering and by virtue of just being there is not one of them

As I picture your description, it is a good example of a play that used to be considered OS, it is not in the current laws and interpretations. (And we. Could spend some debating how long ago you have to go back on this particular play...)

This absolutely does not apply here - the scenario is that the player in an offside position did not become involved and quite clearly another player had the opportunity to play the ball since it was another, different attacker who actually challenged for the ball.

I called offside against the attacker on the edge of the area as he is interfering with the defender. Is that the right call?
Perhaps you left something out but I don't see anything in your description to indicate that the offside-positioned player interfered with the defender. I think the IFAB have made it quite clear through the recent changes in wording and the circulars they have issued along with them, that to be guilty of interfering with an opponent, the player has to pretty much directly affect the defender's actual physical ability to play the ball. Just being in the vicinity and perhaps affecting the defender's thinking or decision-making is simply not enough.

Since you say another attacker was challenging the defender (and again, unless there's some missing information) it doesn't sound as if the player you penalised was challenging the defender or doing anything to prevent them playing the ball. And if that's the case, then he wasn't interfering with the opponent as the law defines it.

Back