A&H

Quick Penalty

OldNavyRef

Level 5 Referee
During the penalty take. I said "on the whistle" to the taker, he then quickly hit the penalty and the keeper saved it before I blew the whistle or took up a position.

Then pandemonium ensued as I blew my whistle.

I cautioned the kicker for delaying the restart and allowed him to retake the penalty. Which he then scored.

My reasoning was the penalty hadn't started as I hadn't blown my whistle.

I have a feeling, that since he missed, I should have allowed the save and it is his loss for being stupid.

The Referee Store
Alas, changes made it harder to accept the PK as taken. The LWs used to say the rR would “signal” for the PK to be taken, which made it easy to accept a subtle signal must have been given. But we are now told the whistle must be used. So, sadly, you did the right thing. To avoid this, I’m very clear with the taker that he is waiting for the whistle and try to get an acknowledgment on that. I also keep an eye out so I can start tweet-tweet tweeting if there is any thou g that suggests he is going to try to take it early.

while I personally think the caution is appropriate, I think there is guidance out there that a caution should only be given if done a second time. Sorry, too lazy to look for it right now.

During the penalty take. I said "on the whistle" to the taker, he then quickly hit the penalty and the keeper saved it before I blew the whistle or took up a position.

Then pandemonium ensued as I blew my whistle.

I cautioned the kicker for delaying the restart and allowed him to retake the penalty. Which he then scored.

My reasoning was the penalty hadn't started as I hadn't blown my whistle.

I have a feeling, that since he missed, I should have allowed the save and it is his loss for being stupid.
No, as @socal lurker points out, if you haven't blown the whistle, the penalty kick must be retaken. I know what you mean about feeling an impulse to let the save stand. It does seem slightly wrong somehow - it almost feels as if you're rewarding the penalty taker for breaking the law, by giving them "a second bite of the cherry" but I don't really see that the law leaves you with any choice.

Last edited:
If we caution the attacker, are we not saying he has committed an offence and therefore IDFK?

Don't think you can really caution here though and it is a retake of the kick. It's not really covered in law except to say that the referee must signal for the penalty kick to be taken. It doesn't say what should happen in the event the kick it taken before the signal.
while I personally think the caution is appropriate, I think there is guidance out there that a caution should only be given if done a second time. Sorry, too lazy to look for it right now.

Are you getting confused with GK offences? I dont think there is anything in LOTG about taking the kick before the signal

If we caution the attacker, are we not saying he has committed an offence and therefore IDFK?

Don't think you can really caution here though and it is a retake of the kick. It's not really covered in law except to say that the referee must signal for the penalty kick to be taken. It doesn't say what should happen in the event the kick it taken before the signal.

Are you getting confused with GK offences? I dont think there is anything in LOTG about taking the kick before the signal
I cautioned the attacker for delaying the restart. As I hadn't blown my whistle he essentially just kicked the ball away in my opinion.

I did tell him to wait for my whistle. I think he was just in his own world with the pressures of the penalty.

there is guidance out there that a caution should only be given if done a second time.
I thought you just caution delay of the restart right away, when it comes to kicking the ball.

As in if someone kicks the ball 5 or 6 yards away from the free kick position, I thought by law you reach in your pocket (again this is a learning point for me if that is wrong).

As the referee hasn't signalled for the penalty to be taken IMO the offences in Law 14 don't apply, so the restart wouldn't change.

I've had an observer at Step 5/6 pick me up before for not cautioning for delaying the restart for a player taking a free kick quickly after telling them to wait for the whistle, so I don't see what the difference would be on a penalty...

Which, as I read it, doesn't cover this scenario. The referee has not signalled for the kick to be taken
That why I held back from passing comment. I couldn't quite reconcile the "before the mall is in play" part.

For a penalty, is it in play when the whistle is blown, or the ball is kicked?

The guidance about warning the kicker and cautioning for a repeat was in the old USSF Advice to Referees. (While much of what was in the ATR came from old IFAB guidance, not everything did, And I am definitely too lazy to search my old books to se if that one did. .) I always thought it was bad guidance if the R has clearly told the player to wait for the whistle (with an exception for younger players who can just get over excited and may not have taken a PK before). So good to know there is no current guidance to give a warning before a caution on that.

A clever trick for a late free kick if your team are winning .. deliberately take the free kick from an incorrect position knowing that the ref will pull it back and you have successfully wasted an extra 30seconds to a minute.. delaying restart in my book!

A clever trick for a late free kick if your team are winning .. deliberately take the free kick from an incorrect position knowing that the ref will pull it back and you have successfully wasted an extra 30seconds to a minute.. delaying restart in my book!

Not just in your book. It's also a mandatory caution according to Law 12.

Referees must caution players who delay the restart of play by:
[...]
taking a free kick from the wrong position to force a retake

Back