A&H

Quick restart during injury timeout?

The Referee Store
This is a prime example of just because you can doesn't mean you should.
Well said, @JamesL.

First principle of football, safety. He passed the first principle.
Totally true, @one. I think the referee really failed themselves and the players here. No respect for the game in any form.

I totally agree. Would NEVER allow this.

What do high-level (and all) referees hate more than anything? Being accused of unfairness, match fixing, favoritism, etc. Why any referee would even risk allowing this to occur when the result will clearly be exactly these 3 things is beyond me.

So many wrongs.

GK clearly sees an opportunity and tells ‘injured’ player and physio who both play their part by basically running from the pitch. Other young players I can maybe understand, but an adult physio? Shocking.

Players then ask the referee who obviously agrees (shame we can’t see the ref’s position at the time to see if they are aware of the other team’s position although why wouldn’t they be)

Neither AR seems to have an issue with it either.

Barcelona were 2-0 up at this point and went on to win 4-0

O
Neither AR seems to have an issue with it either.
Nothing the AR can do. The R blew his whistle to signal for the restart, so the restart was done with the R's permission. Once that happens, play is restarted, and there really isn't any reason supported in Law to stop play. (We could have a side discussion of whether, realizing what he had done, it was an appropriate time for the R to make something up as an excuse to stop play. )

I'd say the take away is that after any kind of delay, an R needs to be situationally aware and check that both teams are reasonably read for the restart of play.

I'd say the take away is that after any kind of delay, an R needs to be situationally aware and check that both teams are reasonably read for the restart of play.
100%. I do this with drop balls so can't imagine not doing it for an injury timeout.

O

Nothing the AR can do. The R blew his whistle to signal for the restart, so the restart was done with the R's permission. Once that happens, play is restarted, and there really isn't any reason supported in Law to stop play. (We could have a side discussion of whether, realizing what he had done, it was an appropriate time for the R to make something up as an excuse to stop play. )

I only meant that if the ref wasn’t aware that the other team were having a drinks break (or whatever they were doing) they might at least bring it to their attention. Makes it more likely that the ref knew exactly what was happening and still allowed it.

The funny thing is he actually blew the whistle to restart play, being totally unaware of why a whistle is needed (a recent topic) to restart play after an injury.

Back