A&H

Rainbow Laces

OnlyUseMeWhistle

RefChat Addict
Level 4W Referee
I've worn rainbow laces, without issue, for years whilst officiating. I'm LGBT myself but it's mostly there for players and coaches who maybe aren't out to feel more comfortable raising concerns with me.

In fact I've had several moments where players or coaches have enquired about them and then thanked me/reacted positively when I confirm they're for LGBT support and not just because I got bored of all black!

But then this weekend I had a player claim I shouldn't be wearing them because it shows I'm not "neutral" and might be biased. I just said he was the first one to complain for years and that the FA endorsed the campaign but now I'm questioning if I risk creating more hassle for myself wearing them.

The Referee Store
I've worn rainbow laces, without issue, for years whilst officiating. I'm LGBT myself but it's mostly there for players and coaches who maybe aren't out to feel more comfortable raising concerns with me.

In fact I've had several moments where players or coaches have enquired about them and then thanked me/reacted positively when I confirm they're for LGBT support and not just because I got bored of all black!

But then this weekend I had a player claim I shouldn't be wearing them because it shows I'm not "neutral" and might be biased. I just said he was the first one to complain for years and that the FA endorsed the campaign but now I'm questioning if I risk creating more hassle for myself wearing them.
A bizarre thing for a player to claim. :confused:

You just crack on and do what feels right for you and bowlikes to what any player thinks.

I used to (wrongly) assume that players or officials who wore rainbow laces did it simply to show the world they're gay in a "look at me" kinda way. Of course I was wrong. It may well be that somebody wearing rainbow laces is LGBT etc. but I now know that the wearing of rainbow laces is simply a way of an individual showing their support for LGBT rights, irrespective of their own sexuality.

Personally, if it were me, I'd view it as a bona fide way of indirectly indicating to the players etc. that you're unlikely to tolerate any kind of homophobic/racist etc remark on the field - forewarned as it were. ;)

If you want to wear them, wear them. No player can tell you that you can't wear rainbow laces, just as they can't say you can't wear orange laces for example.

Personally, if it were me, I'd view it as a bona fide way of indirectly indicating to the players etc. that you're unlikely to tolerate any kind of homophobic/racist etc remark on the field - forewarned as it were. ;)
Yeah this is actually why I started wearing them. I'm married with a wife and child so I'm not exactly on a crusade for gay rights in the game.

Reactions: Kes

LGBT and LGBTQIA+ politics are frequently contentious and controversial. A minefield. Toxic.

By displaying rainbow laces you are not being impartial.

1. Would you advise against it?

2. Are we expected to be impartial on political matters? Why do PGMOL referees take the knee? Why do they do 'breaking barriers' sessions? Why do we support 'kick it out' alongside our CFAs?

1. I would not wear rainbow laces, not because I have an issue with LGB, but I do with T's politics with self ID and women's rights and the equality act.
2. I don't display my support for the Labour party when I ref. Do you for the Tories? Or the Liberals? Or the greens? or UKIP? Or Reform?

Why do PGMOL referees take the knee? Honestly I think some don't know themselves and its easier than to risk being isolated and cancelled for not doing so.

Why do I support kick it out because in general it has remained un-politicised. Every decent person is anti racist.

Eh? Can you elaborate on why, in a footballing context, rainbow laces could possibly show any sort of impartiality?

In a football context rainbow laces would not be impartial. LGBT politics frequently is associated with self ID, and contentious and highly controversial issues such as trans inclusion in sport. Do I support the right of trans women and those who possess GRC to use female only facilities and participate in female only sport? No I can see conflict and challenges between female and trans rights.

In a football context rainbow laces would not be impartial. LGBT politics frequently is associated with self ID, and contentious and highly controversial issues such as trans inclusion in sport. Do I support the right of trans women and those who possess GRC to use female only facilities and participate in female only sport? No I can see conflict and challenges between female and trans rights.
You haven't answered the question... Are you a politician?
Rainbow laces is about making the game more accessible to those from the LGBT community in to participate in the game, safely, refereeing, coaching, supporting/spectating by raising a little awareness.
It doesn't give an opinion on whether trans women should be allowed to participate in female sports!!
They certainly don't suggest the referee is likely to be impartial in anyway... Smh!!

Yes but that's your choice. It doesn't mean people shouldn't be allowed to wear rainbow laces if they want.

Black kit, black boots, black laces..... straight laced, like me
I'm there to referee a football match. That's it

Rainbow laces looks daft & amateurish to me

Last edited:
You haven't answered the question... Are you a politician?
Rainbow laces is about making the game more accessible to those from the LGBT community in to participate in the game, safely, refereeing, coaching, supporting/spectating by raising a little awareness.
It doesn't give an opinion on whether trans women should be allowed to participate in female sports!!
They certainly don't suggest the referee is likely to be impartial in anyway... Smh!!
I answered the questions, or tried to.

Wearing a rainbow is not an impartial act. An impartial act would not be wearing a rainbow. Wearing rainbow laces identifies an individual is identifying with LGBT support. The poster in the opening post made that point.

The Rainbow laces campaign was and is in partnership with Stonewall. Stonewall support the right of trans women to self ID, to use female only services, female only facilities and the right of trans women to take part in female sport, including football.

The Rainbow laces campaign was and is in partnership with Stonewall. Stonewall support the right of trans women to self ID, to use female only services, female only facilities and the right of trans women to take part in female sport, including football.
And that is bad in what way exactly? I also know people who are involved with Stonewall and they do a hell of a lot more than what you have listed.

The question you haven't answered is how wearing rainbow laces would make the referee less than impartial in the context of a football game.

And that is bad in what way exactly? I also know people who are involved with Stonewall and they do a hell of a lot more than what you have listed.

The question you haven't answered is how wearing rainbow laces would make the referee less than impartial in the context of a football game.

Because females have a right to dignity, privacy and safety. Stonewall do not support current equalities law. Stonewall support self ID where anybody who identified as female and state their gender identity was female could gain GRC meaning they could access female facilities, and play in female sport.

In 2016 the FA linked with gendered intelligence a trans activist charity and created a guide to including trans people in football. It would have been a safeguarding nightmare. Here is an excerpt.

1712601502077.png

The word impartial literally means favouring no side. Wearing rainbow laces as the poster stated demonstrates support for LGBT .. Favour.

I answered the questions, or tried to.

Wearing a rainbow is not an impartial act. An impartial act would not be wearing a rainbow. Wearing rainbow laces identifies an individual is identifying with LGBT support. The poster in the opening post made that point.

Not really. You've made some indirect correlations to an organisation and their activity which has no bearing on the OP where the player suggested they would not be neutral and could be biased...
How does wearing rainbow laces have any direct or indirect affect on a referees decision making?

Clue: it has zero to with trans people wanting use their self identifying facilities. On the subject of impartiality, I am a little uncomfortable with how you seem very focussed on male to female transition, when the same scenario occurs in female to male transition

Back