A&H

Rather unusual for this level

The Referee Store
I’ve never understood why English FA referees can’t wear anything other than black

I’ve never understood why English FA referees can’t wear anything other than black
Be careful what you wish for . . . in the US, we have five colors (yellow, red, green, blue, black) . . . which is a lot of shirts to buy, especially to have both long and short sleeves. (Yellow is officially the primary color that all officials are expected to have, but the expectation of the rainbow grows quickly.)

Typically the competition rules for this standard state that referees wear black, but in the event of a team having a black or dark kit then they have to provide the officials with another colour.

I did a game recently where the away team were in black and they provided us with some yellow long sleeved training tops to officiate in. The ref was not happy as it had no pockets for all of his usual storage places!

Typically the competition rules for this standard state that referees wear black, but in the event of a team having a black or dark kit then they have to provide the officials with another colour.

I did a game recently where the away team were in black and they provided us with some yellow long sleeved training tops to officiate in. The ref was not happy as it had no pockets for all of his usual storage places!

Yes, I suspect Colchester may be in hot water for not providing coloured kits. Although the problem usually is the clubs inevitably supply 3 x XL shirts, so the smaller math officials are in danger of getting blown away if there is a strong wind ... :)

As this was at QPR's training ground, you would have thought they might have had some coloured shirts, but then again perhaps no need?

Be careful what you wish for . . . in the US, we have five colors (yellow, red, green, blue, black) . . . which is a lot of shirts to buy, especially to have both long and short sleeves. (Yellow is officially the primary color that all officials are expected to have, but the expectation of the rainbow grows quickly.)
Oh I’m not wishing. Doesn’t affect me. In Scotland we have the same colours as yourself

Yes, I suspect Colchester may be in hot water for not providing coloured kits. Although the problem usually is the clubs inevitably supply 3 x XL shirts, so the smaller math officials are in danger of getting blown away if there is a strong wind ... :)
I've done a few matches at Colchester academy and I do remember a Sheffield team turning up wanting to wear their black away kits. As you say, they provided us with some giant silver shirts - not too bad for me and the other AR, but I think the ref tucked his in and nearly had them poking out the bottom of his shorts!

Ahh, is that why when I watch U23 games, they’re sometimes wearing a different brand of kit? I’ve always wondered that

Of more concern to me, in pics 4, 6 & 10 it looks like at least two different players are not wearing shin pads?

It's quite common that players wear very small shin pads and wear the socks very low. I see it in almost every game.

It's quite common that players wear very small shin pads and wear the socks very low. I see it in almost every game.
In the US, high school soccer got frustrated with the pointless shin guards and mandated the size of shin guards based on the height of the player. (But refs aren't as responsible, either--in high school soccer coaches have to certify to the ref that their team is properly equipped an gets cautioned if any players is found not to be compliant.

this must have been spotted, dont english officiald do a studs and shinguard
check in the dressing room prematch.
we do in scotland, one of my early experiences at a tournament, i was 4th official
the ref sends me in to both dressing rooms to do a check 1st dressing room no probs
go into 2nd dressing room i say studs and shinguard check ladies under 20 ladies game
boots and shinguard were all 2 of the ladies were wearing the ref had set me up oh boy

Grealish is probably the best known example of this. Small guards worn, and although providing very little protection, they’re still in compliance with the law.

this must have been spotted, dont english officiald do a studs and shinguard
check in the dressing room prematch.
we do in scotland, one of my early experiences at a tournament, i was 4th official
the ref sends me in to both dressing rooms to do a check 1st dressing room no probs
go into 2nd dressing room i say studs and shinguard check ladies under 20 ladies game
boots and shinguard were all 2 of the ladies were wearing the ref had set me up oh boy
Not while the Covid protocols are in place. At top level such checks should be done en route to the f. o. p.

Back