A&H

Red card for attacking fan:

The Referee Store
Meets exactly the description of "violent conduct" in LOTG. Dismissal is justified.

That said, I'd also like the spectator removed. What does the guy expect when he plays keepaway with a match ball? No thanks, not at my field.

This sort of thing in modern day football really winds me up, one person deliberately winding another up and goading him, he bites and the 4/5 coaches pipe up and look what he did ref.

Feel a bit sorry for the lad who was sent off but its the right call.

Okay, I'll say it. I think the red was a bit harsh.

He doesn't actually "attack" the spectator that I can see and all he does is try to knock the ball out of the bloke's hand and give up and walk away. It's not VC for me.

No doubt everybody else (coaches etc included) see it as an intended punch but I don't. Based on what I'm seeing I'd be going yellow for USB, AA.

His psychotic behaviour after the card is of course inexcusable.

This sort of thing in modern day football really winds me up, one person deliberately winding another up and goading him, he bites and the 4/5 coaches pipe up and look what he did ref.

Feel a bit sorry for the lad who was sent off but its the right call.

I agree, you have summed up my feelings perfectly there.

Okay, I'll say it. I think the red was a bit harsh.

He doesn't actually "attack" the spectator that I can see and all he does is try to knock the ball out of the bloke's hand and give up and walk away. It's not VC for me.

No doubt everybody else (coaches etc included) see it as an intended punch but I don't. Based on what I'm seeing I'd be going yellow for USB, AA.

His psychotic behaviour after the card is of course inexcusable.
So I was almost with you. And would have said maybe not straight red but has to be two separate cautionable offences.
There is however a feigned punch which I think could overstep AA to VC.
Either way in my mind the dudes gone, along with his head.

Red was harsh until he attacked the fence but I presume he lost it when the ref went to the back pocket.

Yellow and eject the speccy much better kn retrospect...

I think he was swiping for the ball rather than striking the spectator. I can't see violent conduct in that.

(Unlikely but the red could've been for OFFINABUS)

I think he was swiping for the ball rather than striking the spectator. I can't see violent conduct in that.

(Unlikely but the red could've been for OFFINABUS)

I had to watch it a few times and I'm still thinking about it, but the swipe looks like a closed fist punch to the spectators arm. Hence red for a punch.

I had to watch it a few times too . I am fairly certain the swipe is an open hand swipe with it becoming a fist after passing the fan's arm (like when you try to catch a fly mid air). Both actions in the fist instance were just short of VC for me, more of an intimidation. Yellow card more appropriate? What he did after would have made it a red card though.

Match Control... he's having an early bath regardless of the exact definition of VC

Match Control... he's having an early bath regardless of the exact definition of VC
Don't quite agree with this as a general statement. It is unfair to send a player off if it doesn't fit within the send off offences but because it helps the referee's match control.

Don't quite agree with this as a general statement. It is unfair to send a player off if it doesn't fit within the send off offences but because it helps the referee's match control.
There's no way that player could be allowed to continue playing after that spat
Attempt to strike the spectator's arm in the first instance and aggressive intent to strike when held back from doing so. He's in no fit mental state to re-join the game. Not only would i expect the authorities to uphold the charge, I fancy they'd consider it as aggravated

There's no way that player could be allowed to continue playing after that spat
Attempt to strike the spectator's arm in the first instance and aggressive intent to strike when held back from doing so. He's in no fit mental state to re-join the game. Not only would i expect the authorities to uphold the charge, I fancy they'd consider it as aggravated
Would have you shown him a red card at the time when the ref in the game showed him the card? Would "match controls" have anything to do with that?

What happened after is beside the point since you can't send off an already sent of player and the player's actions were more of a reaction to the send off.

Would have you shown him a red card at the time when the ref in the game showed him the card? Would "match controls" have anything to do with that?

What happened after is beside the point since you can't send off an already sent of player and the player's actions were more of a reaction to the send off.
Of course it's hard to say what we'd really do
Let's just say there's infinite parallel universes in which we're refereeing exactly the same incident simultaneously. None of the outcomes would be identical, but I'd be hoping most of them involved me showing a red card after the first altercation, only after a delay and not in the vicinity of the spectator. In many of these universes, I'd screw the whole thing up and someone would go home in an ambulance :(

Ok. Fair enough. You show a red after the first altercation. I can live with that. But would the red be for "match control" reasons? He seems calm enough walking towards you.

Ok. Fair enough. You show a red after the first altercation. I can live with that. But would the red be for "match control" reasons? He seems calm enough walking towards you.
Perhaps my reference to 'match control' was misplaced. It does show the perils of flashing cards, even though we're watching the outcome with the benefit of hindsight. We'll never know what would've happened if the ref slowed things down so everyone could count to ten

Reactions: one
Back