A&H

Red Card

The Referee Store
I don't know where you referee but here, yellows and reds on standard misconduct forms can be and are appealed regularly. I feel your scenario is different since you witnessed the throwing if the punch and reaction as opposed to just seeing a reaction. Your scenario would easily be upheld regardless IMO.

In hull, players can't appeal cautions or red cards. Only exceptions are with mistaken identity and video evidence

just so i understand this thing about not criticising our fellow professionals, can someone please explain just where one draws the line.

The aforementioned criticism was directed at his ability to write an enthralling piece of literature rather than his ability to referee. That is where I would say the key difference lies.

just so i understand this thing about not criticising our fellow professionals, can someone please explain just where one draws the line.

I think you'll find that was more of a general book review than a criticism of someone's refereeing ability.

I would argue that it is okay to point out mistakes and generally suggest ways to avoid those mistakes in our own games, but to stop short of questioning a referee's ability.

Because we are not the ones empowered to make those judgements. Nor do we have the necessary education and training to be able to appropriately adjudicate their abilities and we can quite safely assume that they have some clear talent and ability or else they would not appear in the Premier League.

I mean, if you don't have any expertise in the field, I would say you have no leg to stand on when discussing whether or not someone is good at something or not. You can say you "disagree with their decision and here is why" but to say "this guy is terrible" is kind of foolish and not particularly useful -- except as a catharsis. But since we're all members of the same global brotherhood of refereeing, I would like to think we won't be throwing our colleagues under the bus for the purpose of catharsis. This is not so for bankers or politicians.

However we would be perfectly entitled to compare them to their peers and make a judgment based a comparative performance.

Sure -- but the only conclusion we could draw there is "He doesn't seem to me to be as good as that other fella." However, you still have to recognize that there are factors which are unknown to you which are taken into consideration by elite-level referees, assessors, and coaches.

I don't know -- I'm not part of the elite group of referees. But surely if it just came down to knowing the Laws of the Game inside and out, you'd all be there too.

So you're just guessing, ;). It's not the freemasons, it's just 17 laws, the interpretation thereof and lots of hard work and experience with a little bit of luck thrown into the mix.

I'm sure that I could have been there, but when you start at 54, you know you'll have to fight ageism, too. Still, I'm aiming for 7-6 at my earliest opportunity so I'm clearly still on course :)

don't tell me that you've retired from refereeing to go into politics, Brian

Back