A&H

Referee floored by player

frank_ref

It's from about a month ago but haven't seen it mentioned on here...

Classic line from the commentator: "I'm not too sure what happened to the official there".

And not just a funny vid but also a question in Law: was the referee right to stop play?

The Referee Store
It's from about a month ago but haven't seen it mentioned on here...

Classic line from the commentator: "I'm not too sure what happened to the official there".

And not just a funny vid but also a question in Law: was the referee right to stop play?

Like you say, not specifically covered in the LOTG but play has to be stopped if the referee is unable to referee (even if it's only for a few seconds). :) Looked like he had the wind well and truly knocked out of his sails - all credit to him for finding the puff to blow his whistle!! :D

Like you say, not specifically covered in the LOTG but play has to be stopped if the referee is unable to referee (even if it's only for a few seconds).

Number one, I didn't say that Kes. But I do owe you one so, fair enough.

Number two, what about this?
If a referee is temporarily incapacitated play may continue under the supervision of the assistant referees until the ball next goes out of play.

Guidelines, p72

why would a referee on a game not have cards in his pocket, if you look properly you will see him taking keith strouds red/yellow cards

Number one, I didn't say that Kes. But I do owe you one so, fair enough.

Number two, what about this?

Fair point Frank. Well presented. (Owe me one?).

Maybe (in his dazed state) the referee thought the ball had gone out of play then? :rolleyes: :hmmm: ;)
Alright alright, I should have actually picked up the book and checked!! :D

why would a referee on a game not have cards in his pocket, if you look properly you will see him taking keith strouds red/yellow cards

Only a guess, but if either of the ref's cards were marked (no pun intended) for cautions already given in the match? :)

Maybe it's just me, but orange 19 appears to have a good view of the referee in front of him and could have avoided the collision. Having flattened the referee, also appears to show a complete lack of concern to the official by running away! :confused:

If the referee is 'temporarily' incapacitated. I would say in this instance it's more permanent as he stays on the floor and ends up going off.

How cool, though, if ref rolls over, watches as best he can, and lets the attack unfold? Assistant's got it covered. At least let 'em have a shot. :)

The laws state the game MAY continue if the ref is incapacitated. Not must. so IMO the referee is right to stop play.
that clause in the laws would be more there to cover a scenario where, say, the referee is knocked out, can't stop play, and a goal is scored - it's not going to be disallowed just because there's no referee. But really, it's unreasonable to expect the game to be refereed from the touch line - too much chance of something critical being missed, so the ref was 100% right in stopping play IMO.

Maybe it's just me, but orange 19 appears to have a good view of the referee in front of him and could have avoided the collision. Having flattened the referee, also appears to show a complete lack of concern to the official by running away! :confused:
There is that. How much responsibility are we putting on the player here? Honestly, if the referee hadn't moved across, I'd be arguing for a red card - player's fault for not looking in front. As it is, the referee did move across, so I think there's enough argument for mutual fault here.

I was reffing a uni rugby league game the other week and I got clattered over by a player and had to call tackle 3 from the floor abour 15m from where i should have been, i just got up and got to position quickly

yes possibly but the 4th official should have exactly the same match notes as the referee
No, he will probably have more so uses a book not skins.
Some matches require the referee to report time of goal, goal scorer, etc.
Other info he may have is subs names, etc which he would need to pass to the new 4th official so may not have his own notes - taken the referees cards would the easiest.

Back