A&H

Referee in a bib

Despite being set out clearly in the handbooks, it's surprising the amount of teams that feign ignorance/claim they don't know that they are not allowed black kits.

Had a similar conversation earlier with the coaches and some parents at my son's team. Home kit is yellow and blue. They are currently looking at getting a training/away kit for the rare occasions the yellow clashes with another team. The general consensus was "let's have all black as no one else wears that". There was a look of horror and disbelief when I reminded them that all black kits are not allowed and that's why no teams in our area wear them. Cue why not? Can't the referee change? That's not fair! blah blah blah! :confused:

The Referee Store
Worst thing was I think he was being assessed.
If that is the case, he should expect a below standard mark for application of law, and possibly some questions from his CFA, if the assessor has reported me.

Last edited:
As most people have said, do not wear the bid. All teams know we wear black, so if they are stupid enough to invest in a clashing kit, lets report them and cost them for stupidity.

If they think it is too much of clash, get them to go Sports Direct and buy new tops/shorts ie anything to avoid the clash. Its what happened in York, when the referee threatened to abandon. The cost of the kit was cheaper than the fine and additional match officials cost that they would have to pay.

Don't be popular, be correct.

After just checking two league handbooks I have to hand, there are teams in both of those books who have been passed this season to wear, 50/50 black &white block, black & white stripes, and 'Dark Blue'.

Is there a chance that the leagues either don't know or simply don't care about the guidelines regarding black/dark kits? Maybe they see it is a problem not worth worrying about.

After just checking two league handbooks I have to hand, there are teams in both of those books who have been passed this season to wear, 50/50 black &white block, black & white stripes, and 'Dark Blue'.

Is there a chance that the leagues either don't know or simply don't care about the guidelines regarding black/dark kits? Maybe they see it is a problem not worth worrying about.

As a member of a league committee, we don't tend to check kits until there is a problem. One description can sound OK on paper but visually there is a clash.
Clubs register the kits, it gets put in the handbook and is published. This does not imply acceptance.

Black and White stripe kits have been allowed for a long time, generally no issues unless the back is all black.

My local semi pro team play in a very similar black and white strip that that which I saw on Saturday and the referee at those games still wears black.

As a member of a league committee, we don't tend to check kits until there is a problem. One description can sound OK on paper but visually there is a clash.
Clubs register the kits, it gets put in the handbook and is published. This does not imply acceptance.

An interesting insight into a world we all assume we know.

I understand that teams would submit colours or description of kit and it's very difficult to visualise. And league committee's can't be organising fashion shows.

Backs up the original argument - report and stick to your guns.

I've had a school game before, got changed and filled my pockets as I normally do, went out and completed a warm up and just as the other team arrive I tell the other schools member of staff I won't be refereeing if they can't change or get enough bibs. A debate ensued and I went home 10 minutes later after standing firm and refusing to wear a bib. No idea who reffed the game or if the game was even played.

A team local to me have a mostly black kit which I have observed them playing in several times when spectating due to not having a game myself that day.

When I am refereeing them, they don't even bother asking anymore and wear a yellow kit instead.

The problem isn't leagues, it's refs letting teams get away it.

Back