A&H

Referee Observer

Would the young, inexperienced refs not also be ones who give in to pressure to start the game?

Surely that's the same pressure as finishing a game which shouldn't have started?

In my post above yours, that is exactly what happened yesterday I felt. Young ref felt under pressure to play it.

Although to be fair to the lad, he did have the balls to abandon it when he realised he shouldn't have started it, but he did want to check with me first to take a bit of pressure off himself.

The Referee Store
In my post above yours, that is exactly what happened yesterday I felt. Young ref felt under pressure to play it.

Although to be fair to the lad, he did have the balls to abandon it when he realised he shouldn't have started it, but he did want to check with me first to take a bit of pressure off himself.
And to be fair, if you've never abandoned/called off a game, it can be difficult to tell what criteria you're judging against. I personally don't think I've ever seen a hard-and-fast list of what justifies calling a match off?

It is very rare here that we have to call games off - I've only had to consider it twice. Usually we get a call from the local council groundsman the night before saying he has inspected the pitch, isn't prepared to let us use it so won't be turning up tomorrow to put the nets etc up. In the one game I have called off it was like a swimming pool and it was the easiest decision I've had to make.

And to be fair, if you've never abandoned/called off a game, it can be difficult to tell what criteria you're judging against. I personally don't think I've ever seen a hard-and-fast list of what justifies calling a match off?

Exactly Graeme, I myself was lucky to have another ref with me when I called my first game off. He showed me what to look for and I thank him for that because I'd have been stumped.

The ref in my game should have twigged the pitch wasn't playable when he threw the ball up in the centre circle and it stopped dead in the mud! :D

Its always good to get an opinion of AR if appointed as if they are in agreement with you all 3 of us probably arent wrong, though parents coaches and players during games prove that statement wrong all the time!!!!!!

No way the observer should be getting involved. I might not agree with the decision necessarily, and I might tell the referee that in the privacy of the changing room, but I would never do so in the earshot of any players or club officials as that would completely undermine the referee.

I personally agree that you shouldn't start a game if there is any kind of chance it won't finish. The law of sod dictates it won't be 0-0 or 1-1 when you decide to abandon at half time, but rather 3-0 or 0-4, and you'll come under huge pressure from the winning team to keep it going. I've seen referees make astonishing decisions, like kicking off a 19:45 game with the pitch barely playable and the temperature below zero, it is only going to get worse and the outcome is inevitable.

Back