A&H

Referee positioning after a goal

Kieran W

Was watching the highlights from yesterday's Notts County match and noticed the referee moves behind the players during the goal celebration. What's the reason behind this?

Can be seen at 0:23 and 1:07 of this video:

Last edited:
The Referee Store
The video doesn't load for me (don't know if it's just me) but it could potentially be simply to keep them all in view. It's not uncommon for a situation to arise post-goal.

The video doesn't load for me (don't know if it's just me) but it could potentially be simply to keep them all in view. It's not uncommon for a situation to arise post-goal.

Not working for me either and won't let me post a link?
Should be able to view the video now

That's what I initially thought but the position he takes would give him the same view as the AR

Last edited:
It looks to me like he's trying to "herd" them back towards the middle of the pitch, presumably either to speed things up, or to pro-actively try and avoid having to give a yellow for a player jumping into the crowd.

I've heard the "incidents arising after a goal" thing before, and it's possible here, but for my money he's standing far too close and at far too similar an angle to the AR for that. If an opposing player wants to come in and punch someone, the referee has gone to the effort of positioning himself with a bundle of players between him and any possible incident, giving him very little chance of spotting anything IMO.

I heard he was a Notts County fan and just wanted to celebrate :ninja:

That's standard and expected practice, in that you get round the back of the celebrating pack. It means you have all players in view, but also means if there are any problems with them trying to go into the crowd you are right there. Plus of course you can hurry them up to get back for kick off.

That's standard and expected practice, in that you get round the back of the celebrating pack. It means you have all players in view, but also means if there are any problems with them trying to go into the crowd you are right there. Plus of course you can hurry them up to get back for kick off.

That makes sense, he's then got the whole FOP in view

Really didn't see the point to be honest. Isn't that what your AR is for? And what happens when the celebrating players run around the back of the goal and then up the pitch until the rest if their team catch up? Does the ref run along behind?

Really didn't see the point to be honest. Isn't that what your AR is for? And what happens when the celebrating players run around the back of the goal and then up the pitch until the rest if their team catch up? Does the ref run along behind?

Your AR isn't going to get between the fans and the players unless they run towards the AR's line.

And one referee isn't going to stop 10 players or 1000 fans if they really decide they want to get involved with each other.

Correct, but he will be in a good position to try to prevent it verbally and then take appropriate action if that doesn't work.

Correct, but he will be in a good position to try to prevent it verbally and then take appropriate action if that doesn't work.
Possibly true, but surely he'd be in just as good a position on the other side, plus he'd be able to view and sanction any opposing player who tries to cause trouble as well? I'd worry that positioning himself there leaves him totally blind to anything a fan coming onto the pitch might try and do from behind him, plus potential for him to get caught up in the middle of things if the crowd and players do get into a dispute.

And one referee isn't going to stop 10 players or 1000 fans if they really decide they want to get involved with each other.

Of course not, but it's much more credible if he's inbetween them and the fans. It's exactly the same as when the players head towards the side of the pitch and the AR attempts to hold them back.

Possibly true, but surely he'd be in just as good a position on the other side, plus he'd be able to view and sanction any opposing player who tries to cause trouble as well? I'd worry that positioning himself there leaves him totally blind to anything a fan coming onto the pitch might try and do from behind him, plus potential for him to get caught up in the middle of things if the crowd and players do get into a dispute.

Fans aren't really an issue for officicals at that level in this country, but also any fan coming onto the pitch is guaranteed to go straight for the players rather than the official.

As a referee you have no mandate whatsoever to try and prevent supporters from coming on the pitch. If they do you report it, and potentially suspend the game if it isn't dealt with quickly, but you would be mad to try and prevent it.

Whereas there is nothing wrong with the referee trying to stop a player from going into the crowd (I mean verbally not physically), and he needs to be in a good position to see if the player doesn't heed that advice.

Back