A&H

Refereeing and University

RefStar

Level 6 Referee
Hi all,

Is it 'difficult' to referee while living away (UK still) at university in the halls of residence. Has anyone experienced this, especially in the first year of study?

The Referee Store
No it's not that difficult at all. All you need to do is speak to your local RDO and get the name of your new RDO and away you go. The new RDO can get you some games ans you prove your worth from there.

I know of a number of referees who continue refereeing through university as a guest in their uni county, one even refereeing in Wales while at uni and another refereeing in Scotland while at uni. I also know of some who have refereed in my county while at uni and returned to their home county continuing to progress.

One has made it to the football league, another got their level 4 while away. Give it a go.

Reactions: SM
RefStar, it is possible indeed. I moved to university last year, gained promotion to level 5, and now in my second year, I am going for level 4.

I stayed with my parent FA as I still have commitments back "home" and I've affiliated to the county FA in the county I am currently living in. Speak to your current RDO, and also the RDO of the county FA of where you are moving to - they will put you in touch with the contacts you need.

I referee during university time, and when I go home, I just inform the appointment secretaries there, and they will include me in their fixtures as normal.

Any questions, let me know.

Im first year now, i just took my stuff, spoke to campus football co-ordinator and boom, 2 games a week, 20 quid a game!

Thanks all. Hopefully I'll get to level 4 for this marking season, so will make life a little easier also.

Thanks all. Hopefully I'll get to level 4 for this marking season, so will make life a little easier also.

It may not. At Supply league, you would need to keep the contrib appointments sec informed where you are for him to appoint you to lines. An even bigger if one location is in the north, the other in the south & you regularly are at either.

Your apps diary will be a mess......

It may not. At Supply league, you would need to keep the contrib appointments sec informed where you are for him to appoint you to lines. An even bigger if one location is in the north, the other in the south & you regularly are at either.

Your apps diary will be a mess......
Not at all. It's 100x easier at L4 due to the use of MOAS & the Temporary Location function. I would regularly go and visit friends at university up North and never failed to be appointed to a Contrib line whilst there.
All that'll have to happen if RefStar is in 2 locations regularly, is he'll be appointed to 2 Supply Leagues and will be allocated games appropriately.

Edit - just to add to this, a lad off my Supply league last season was promoted from 4-3 despite being at Uni in Newcastle. He finished AA in both leagues and was promoted

Not at all. It's 100x easier at L4 due to the use of MOAS & the Temporary Location function. I would regularly go and visit friends at university up North and never failed to be appointed to a Contrib line whilst there.
All that'll have to happen if RefStar is in 2 locations regularly, is he'll be appointed to 2 Supply Leagues and will be allocated games appropriately.

Edit - just to add to this, a lad off my Supply league last season was promoted from 4-3 despite being at Uni in Newcastle. He finished AA in both leagues and was promoted

Dan, I bow to your superior knowledge re MOAS.
But RS will have to be very accurate with closed dates & temporary locations.

Dan, I bow to your superior knowledge re MOAS.
But RS will have to be very accurate with closed dates & temporary locations.
Yeah, of course he'd have to be very accurate. It is possible to do 'block' temporary location (say, Sept 3rd-Dec 18th) and then close dates further to that too.
MOAS is the greatest thing the refereeing community has. The sooner it's brought down to all levels and then all Counties, the better. It is, quite simply, a fool-proof system (if used correctly!!!)

Back