A&H

Reporting after, and failing to sort on pitch

ladbroke8745

RefChat Addict
I have seen many, many, times referees put reports in for various things after the game (sorry, include in their report), but why don't they just give cautions on the pitch?

If they cautioned on the pitch, then players will really need to rethink their own game (a foul could result in a red card, or if already on a booking, arguing will see them sent off too).
This week alone I have seen:

Leicester players charged with surrounding referee and assistant referee following a penalty given to Huddersfield. Caution everyone that comes running to you in protest.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47885860
Derby players charged with surrounding the referee after Ashley Cole was cautioned for diving.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47882322

If they get the card out for dissent/AA now, then it will eliminate the need to a) have to include in a report and get FA to fine clubs b) potentially stop the abuse referees get (and subsequently allow grassroots to do it without getting comments such as "they do it in the PL, so it must be fine". It will also mean that players on cards who seem to argue persistently will get suspended quicker (through collection of cards) and potentially even get sent off in the match...

What do you think?
Should referees actually deal with on the pitch and not on paper when they report it?

The Referee Store
The simple answer is yes, they should. Why don’t they? Who the hell knows. It’s frutrating to see and we all know the issues it causes further down the chain. The FA’s answer? Sin bin at the lower levels, nothing at the top

Possible reason is that it is easier to make the decision in hindsight than in the heat of the moment.

Were these incidents reported by the referee and not just the FA deciding to take initiative?

This is nothing to do with the referees' reports. They are hardly likely to write "after 27 minutes I was surrounded by multiple players but couldn't be bothered to do anything so please can you punish them".

Rather the FA looks at the video and decides if action has to be taken. The referee report is more for things that he is directly involved in, for example there is crowd trouble that he is alerted to, allegations of racism, breaches of competition rules, etc.

Here is my theory. There is big expectation on referees to finish the game 11 v 11. This expectation extends to fans, peers and administrators. This is not a bad thing. As we go to higher levels there is more emphasis put on game management, which is also a good thing.

What is not so good is that most people, referee peers and administrators included directly relate a high card count (in a given game or overall) to a referee's ability to manage games. This is a one way correlation but is often implied the wrong way. Poor game management causes high card count, but high card count does not necessarily mean poor game management.

Unfortunately this misconception has been ingrained into the refereeing culture. In most cases, when a card is considered a manageable, in order not to be labelled a poor game manager, referees subconsciously keep the card out even if they know one is needed. Or some wrongly think not issuing a card means they have managed the situation better.

It requires that all referees change their methodology in unison. If one lone wolf starts chucking cards around like confetti, they stand out from the crowd and find themselves demoted; sharpish. Even if one Association takes a hard line, the approach will conflict with that of other nations. Moreover, FIFA are only interested in the commercial success of the game, so don't expect any change soon

Reactions: one
It seems the higher up you referee the more abuse they put up with, if i was in charge of a kids game and some of the incidents went on that happen in the PL id be given 3-4 yellows per side.

I saw a game a few weeks back in which a player called an opponent a fat C when jogging past him. The ref heard it and cautioned the player
Quite a few of us heard the comment as we were close by on the sideline. Nobody expected a red card (except me, i think). That's where the game is at

a top flight officials remit, and indeed their personal aim, is to manage as much as possible and get 22 players through the game
Its granted by this stage their detection of foul play etc is sound, so, they are purely there to manage the game, not referee it

Different mindset

Back