A&H

Restart after dissent

Viridis1886

I don't care if you got the ball...
Level 5 Referee
IDFK for dissent as per LOTG.

Most of the time I find that dissent comes at a break in play so there is normally another restart about to happen.

Here's my question though... how many people are stopping play to issue C2 with an IDFK to restart? I tend to make a mental note and then go back to the player in those instances when there is the next stop in play.

(I have a personal objective for this season of being less tolerant of dissent as my bar is generally quite high. I'm therefore very pleased with the current direction of travel in the higher levels).

The Referee Store

Most of the time I find that dissent comes at a break in play so there is normally another restart about to happen.

Here's my question though... how many people are stopping play to issue C2 with an IDFK to restart? I tend to make a mental note and then go back to the player in those instances when there is the next stop in play.

(I have a personal objective for this season of being less tolerant of dissent as my bar is generally quite high. I'm therefore very pleased with the current direction of travel in the higher levels).
Depends who has the ball..I'm not about to disadvantage an attacking team for a defending team player gobbing off. But I am going to disadvantage the gobby players team if they are in possession.

Depends who has the ball..I'm not about to disadvantage an attacking team for a defending team player gobbing off. But I am going to disadvantage the gobby players team if they are in possession.
This. I had a player shouting that he was fouled - he wasn’t - even though he won the ball and his team were attacking as a result. He kept going while his team mate ran towards the pa with the ball before having a real go as his mate is about to shoot, so I stopped play. His team were really fed up, but he was a step 3 player on dual registration with a step 6 team so they didn’t say too much!
I cautioned him (this was pre sin bin. he could have gone for what he said. He did go later on) and awarded an IDFK. However, the player thought it should be a dropped ball and said “I’ll kick it back to them!” When I said “no, it’s a free kick“ he asked me “have you never done this before?!!” The free kick on half way turned a goal scoring opportunity one end into an attack the other end. The player obviously didn’t want to be playing at that level. He was the captain that game but didn’t help his team at all and was sent off not long afterwards.
Some players don’t have the sense they were born with. I would have let the play go until the next break in play if the opponents were attacking. But we don’t always help ourselves - I’ve seen plenty of referees drop the ball after cautioning for dissent, including when being assessed for L5.

Yes, but from what position on the field are you giving the IDFK from? ;) :)

Done it a couple of times, all of which when the ball is being pinged around in the midfield or between the GK and Defenders, would never want to remove an oppurtunity for
the non-offending team
to attack, I’d come back to it at the next break of play

Think I've only done it once, her team was attacking and she decided to run past me and give me a mouthful. So I stopped play, cautioned her, and the opposition got a free kick much further up the pitch than where the ball was when they were defending an attack.

I was AR for a good friend at the w/e. Serious match, comms, other AR was a top flight AR observer.

There’s already been a dissent card and a further warning. Cross comes in, GK gathers at the other AR’s far post. Ref has had enough and blows to pause the match to stop a defender complaining.

Ref is having to shout. I should have spoken up on comms as I could see the ref was not going to the pocket and I was quite sure the GK had kept the ball in play. Meanwhile the other AR (we find out later) was distracted by the bench appealing.

Just as he was backing up for a GK, the ref saw the GK’s body language, realised the ball wasn’t out, gave the YC and the IDFK in the box.

So, correct in the end but presented very badly. Both ARs let him down. AR1 should have immediately confirmed ball was still in play. And I should have interrupted as I knew what was happening. I think I was intimidated by AR1 and was leaving it to him.

So, ALWAYS give the referee the relevant, timely information!

With sin bins in operation it's going to have to be a very clear advantage before playing on, you don't have the get out of stopping play once they interfere like you do with a red card advantage

I've seen plenty of refs, pre sin bin, who just waited for the ball go out of play even if the offending team were in possession!

With sin bins in operation it's going to have to be a very clear advantage before playing on, you don't have the get out of stopping play once they interfere like you do with a red card advantage
Hmm. So you play advantage, there is no goal, play continues. One of two things happens (1) he keeps mouthing off and you stop play and caution him for dissent at that point, or (2) he stops, and you caution him when the ball goes out of play. I'm not sure what the problem is in either case?

Hmm. So you play advantage, there is no goal, play continues. One of two things happens (1) he keeps mouthing off and you stop play and caution him for dissent at that point, or (2) he stops, and you caution him when the ball goes out of play. I'm not sure what the problem is in either case?

Suspect your match control may be tested if the player scores then gets sin binned for something that happened before the goal

Depends. Only time I have stopped play for it, rather than advantage, is when it was loud and the whole ground heard it with the ball just faffing about in midfield.

Cautions and/or sin bins are deterrents for dissent. It's more of a show of "this is what anyone get if it happens again". And less of "you did this and here is your punishment". Or more of a match control tool than a rebalancing tool.

More often than not, players mouthing off don't care if they (the player himself) are punished. They don't care about the referee's opinion of them. But they do care about what their team mates think of them. So if the dissenting player's team is in possession and lose possession of I stop play, often I hear "shut up" to the player from his team mates. This tells me it was an effective stopping of play. However if this was going to result in an IFK in their 6 yard box then it is likely that no attention is given to the dissenting team mate but a few more protests directed at me which makes it an ineffective stopping of play.

In short, for me, I stop play if it helps me with match control and I don't if the opposit, which the intent of the yellow card or the sin bin as well.

I have a higher bar for GK in their penalty area. Generally they're hard to hear and if I can hear them, and it's bad I'll be awarding a freekick Nd it will be obvious why. It hasn't ruined a match for me yet.

I get that it's unusual and unexpected, but that can be dealt with. What is more difficult to deal with is either allowing your match control to be chipped away by some bright coloured muppet in oversized shirt and gloves, or the feeling of internal feeling unease of ignoring the correct restart.

Back