A&H

Open Age Rolling Substitutes (CAR)

Anthony

Level 5 Referee
My Sunday league has introduced roll on/off substitutes from this season. As the CAR is invariably one of the players I have now had to include the briefing I would have given to the substitute only to the whole team now as any one of them might be running the line. I roll it into my pre match briefing that I give to each team.
How are others dealing with this CAR situation??

The Referee Store
I do a quick 15 second briefing whenever they change. Not ideal but at least that way it's fresh in their mind. RoRo subs are a pain in the arse, especially when you're going for promotion so the proper substitution procedure needs to be followed each and every time :confused:

That seems totally pointless for you and the players. Surely you would be better off with no AR/CARs in this case. Expecting an untrained player to magically officiate in the midst of a game of unknown context is just daft IMHO.

From past discussions on this forum, the topic of how / whether to use CARs is generally hotly debated and rarely ends in agreement!

My experience has been that generally, the better you treat your CARs and the more trust you place in them (with regard to ball in / out and offsides) the better support you get. Though obviously the level of that support can still range widely all the way from biased, through useless up to acceptable and even outstanding! So with clarity up front to both captains that I won't be afraid to overrule the CARs if I see a clear error and therefore their teams should play to the whistle not the flag, I've found that it's enabled me to spend 90% of my time on all the other aspects of the game and just a small amount on ensuring the CARs are making a decent fist of offsides .. which as we all know, isn't easy to get 100% even as qualified NARs :)

I do a quick 15 second briefing whenever they change. Not ideal but at least that way it's fresh in their mind. RoRo subs are a pain in the arse, especially when you're going for promotion so the proper substitution procedure needs to be followed each and every time :confused:

How is this accepted by the players each time?

And what does the 'briefing' consist of, as in what is there to say other than 'in's and outs please'?

If somebody with a flag in their hand can't manage that without being told, telling them will not make any difference!!

It's accepted by the players (sometimes a bit begrudgingly!) because it's being caused by the players .. or by the teams at least.

The briefing is to be clear on what I expect from offsides .. doesn't take long to remind them that just standing offside is not worthy of a flag and therefore I'd rather they flagged later but better. And to leave the fouls to me

Fair enough if offside is involved.

Personally as much as it can be a ball ache I prefer doing offside myself.

Would rather be thinking to myself 'is he or isn't he' than 'does that guy know the rules well enough, up with play and is he or isn't he?'

Back