A&H

Sheff Wed v Coventry - Racism incident

lincs22

Supply League Observer
Staff member
Observer/Tutor

Again, a failure of the stewarding at Wednesday to spot such disgusting behaviour. As with the Bradley Lowery incident, it has shown the clubs can't police their own stands. The FA need to warn Wednesday that another incident like this (and the Stewards not taking immediate action) will result in stand or ground closures. Then becomes points deductions and forced relegation. Then the fans might stop this.

If the clubs and fellow fans keep allow this to happen, it will never stop.

The Referee Store
Feels like the wrong section/forum as it's not really related to refereeing, is it?

Please don't tar all Wednesday fans with the same brush. We have a VERY small minority of fans who cause such issues, as do most clubs, and they do not represent the views of wednesday or any other club for that matter. The alleged abuse is abhorrent and has no place in society.

In response there's a 45 page thread with c.850 replies condemning the abuse on the main fans forum. That's the main thread. There are others. We're starting a fundraiser for kick it out. We also raised a significant sum for the Bradley Lowry foundation after that incident.

As for the stewarding, this is something that potentially could be looked at. But, if it's not seen, it's not seen. Imagine they rejected the wrong person based on a point into the crowd.

It makes me angry, and I wonder how are BAME players feel about it, their own "fans"!!!

As for the stewarding, this is something that potentially could be looked at. But, if it's not seen, it's not seen. Imagine they rejected the wrong person based on a point into the crowd.

agree with this. must be almost impossible to spot live, maybe with video/cctv etc...

he'll get is comeuppance though, no doubt

Start readily abandoning games, deducting points and effectively punishing the vast majority fans/spectators who are not prejudiced and the situation will get worse, not better IMHO. Consensus on how to deal with this problem will not be reached and my crystal ball is painting a picture of bitter division getting worse, not better

Feels like the wrong section/forum as it's not really related to refereeing, is it?
I put this on, as the Coventry's players first response to the referee.

We are hearing more about such content at lower levels, and the referees are having to start reporting to the FA.

I was there on the kop but didn't see what happened. Palmer had been engaging with the home crowd for most of the second half and I had a feeling someone was going to do something stupid and escalate it so there's an argument to say the stewards should have been on heightened awareness. In their defence though it was deep into added time and the ground was emptying and their focus is always going to be on the exits at that time rather than the pitch. Up until that point he was getting booed whenever he touched the ball and 20,000 fans were calling him not very nice names, but nothing or a racist nature.

It is on camera and South Yorkshire Police have the footage so they should get the idiot(s) responsible, charge them and make sure they are prosecuted and hopefully imprisoned, certainly getting a long football banning order and a lifetime ban from Hillsborough. Even if the police can't identify them I'm pretty sure other supporters will. There's also a video of a home "fan" throwing a coin into the away stand at the end of the game, so while they are at it they can hopefully find and deal with him as well.

Back