A&H

Sheffield United vs Man City

Rusty, this thread is 100% about the game, a few match incidents, a few cards, a few non cards, Lee Mason performance close up, a few tackles flying in, there is no fandom here,,,, Just like any other game, its mainly football referee related...I get your points sometimes but i dont think anyone has stepped out of turn on this one, its all amicable!!! You have an early night pal!!! ;)

The Referee Store
I find watching LM’s positioning so interesting. He has such a unique style compared to almost all the other top flight refs, I don’t know where he gets it from. Impossible to explain but he always seems to be in an interesting place

May as well put Ederson on penalty kicks give Jesus poor record.

On the penalty, there’s encroachment by both sides. Had it been scored I think it would have been retaken.

Besic on Laporte didn’t make the highlights suggesting it perhaps wasn’t as bad as appeared at first glance in real time.

No... because it’s be an IDFK in that case 😉

:eek: Might be time to re-read Law 14 . . .

But my point remains: you said there would have been a retake if made for the teams encroaching, but when has that ever been called in a professional game on a made PK?

May as well put Ederson on penalty kicks give Jesus poor record.

On the penalty, there’s encroachment by both sides. Had it been scored I think it would have been retaken.

Besic on Laporte didn’t make the highlights suggesting it perhaps wasn’t as bad as appeared at first glance in real time.
It was worse.
No reason for the tackle except to injure the opponent. Off the ground. Studs up. Contact. And I was close enough to reckon it was probably intended to injure a player returning from a serious injury.

It was worse.
No reason for the tackle except to injure the opponent. Off the ground. Studs up. Contact. And I was close enough to reckon it was probably intended to injure a player returning from a serious injury.
It's definitely careless, probaby reckless, but if he disrupts that ball enough to put it in the space where his teammate is running, that's a good chance at a free shot.

To say there's no reason except to injure? To point out the obvious (if there wasn't contact it wouldn't be commented on)? Mentioning studs up when he was about three inches and tenths of a second from beating the defender to the ball? "Off the ground" maybe before he got there, but how do you expect a player to go from running to sliding without sometimes being off the ground during the transition?

Neh. It was a good yellow rightly given.

I respect his opinion but with my referee head on it’s yellows and a last warning too! Watching it live it looked like a great attempt to win the ball but I agree it looks worse on the video! Yellow..... next,,,,

Last edited:
Orange. I think this was red a few years go when SFP was a focal point, but I think most professional refs are now going yellow on this, which also means it’s not a candidate for VAR upgrade as clear error. (But I also think he is goin in hard enough, is late enough, and makes contact with the studs such that a red would also not be subject to VAR reversal.)

Orange. I think this was red a few years go when SFP was a focal point, but I think most professional refs are now going yellow on this, which also means it’s not a candidate for VAR upgrade as clear error. (But I also think he is goin in hard enough, is late enough, and makes contact with the studs such that a red would also not be subject to VAR reversal.)
I don't know how you're getting to "late enough", for me the main mitigating factor is that he's so close to getting the timing right! It looks worse on first viewing I think, with the benefit of zoomed-in replays, you can see that the contact is incredibly minimal.

There is no way it is red. He's close to getting the ball, his foot is low, and frankly the only reason it is even being discussed is that the challenge was on a player who was just returning from a long term injury.

Back