A&H

Short of numbers? Bad planning? Or, like anything till it happens, its never going to happen

No. Not at all. And if he was, it sums up by original post. Bad planning.
The point being made is that it is part of the plan that if he comes on for the first game, then he will be replaced for the second. Having contingencies in place as part of the plan sound like 'good' planning to me :)

The Referee Store
The point being made is that it is part of the plan that if he comes on for the first game, then he will be replaced for the second. Having contingencies in place as part of the plan sound like 'good' planning to me :)

How about not having to replace anybody full stop.
Proactive
Preventative
Risk assessment, zero chance.

Pointless waiting till the Towers collapse then saying, ah,we had a plan

How about not having to replace anybody full stop.
Proactive
Preventative

Pointless waiting till the Towers collapse then saying, ah,we had a plan

What's the threat here though? What are you trying to prevent?

We're going round and round here...

You say it as you see it and I often agree with you, I just don't see the issue you thibk exists here...it happens very rarely (a 4th coming on) and when it does he's replaced on his game later in the weekend.

In the world richest league, i just think the chances of my senario should be zero
Not, 1 out of a 100000 shot.
If things were scheduled better, no replacement would be needed

Whilst the chances of the scenario happening are very low, it nonetheless exposes a shortage of SG1's
We've discussed before the relatively poor salary on offer. Maybe they have recruitment issues
There are too many slightly old, slightly rotund SG1's imo

This is contradiction in terms. The only thing with zero chance is "zero chance" (in this context).

Surly if you want zero chance (or very close to it) then to make sure you have a ref you get a reserve 4th official, and a reserve reserve 4thy and so on. Go planning is not about knowing the risks and having a mitigation in place for what is not acceptable (which is different to undesirable). Anyway I am not going to make this post about risk management and how to plan. You can argue this a different way, but if they know what to do if he ends up doing the first game which prevents a double game then "bad planning" in terms of managing risks is not one of them.

Maybe you can argue better resource management but I am sure if they had five other SG1's sitting around twiddling their thumb for the weekend, they wouldn't put MD on two 4thy's in one weekend.

East did the live Charlton evening game, why? Where on planet footballi is he going? Give that to a up coming newbie and stick East as 4th as he is premiership deadwood anyway.

PGMOL are contracted to cover two Football League games every week, so there will always be two SG1 teams on FL games.

Had Mike Dean ended up on the pitch on Saturday they would have replaced him as 4th at Liverpool with either one of the 4th officials from Saturday or an SG2 referee. There are only 17 SG1 referees, and two of those will be on FL games. You need two SG1 referees per game and 10 x 2 equals 20 so the numbers don't add up.

PGMOL are contracted to cover two Football League games every week, so there will always be two SG1 teams on FL games.

Had Mike Dean ended up on the pitch on Saturday they would have replaced him as 4th at Liverpool with either one of the 4th officials from Saturday or an SG2 referee. There are only 17 SG1 referees, and two of those will be on FL games. You need two SG1 referees per game and 10 x 2 equals 20 so the numbers don't add up.

Then I would argue that the PGMOL need to promote a couple more refs, if we don't have any in SG2 that are ready to step up then the FA needs to look at how they are preparing the next crop of top officials

Then I would argue that the PGMOL need to promote a couple more refs, if we don't have any in SG2 that are ready to step up then the FA needs to look at how they are preparing the next crop of top officials

Yes, as long winded as my posts have been, that's the bottom line. There simply has to be enough to go round.
And if there is not,, then someone has to answer why.
Richest league in the world with not enough referees? Does not make sense.

They've been bitten by promoting referees too early before, think Stuart Attwell for a classic example. The best SG2 referee by a country mile is Rob Jones, but he is only in his second season at that level and was still refereeing non-league football in 2016. Andy Madley not that far behind him, and I fully expect they will both be promoted at the end of the season. Of the others I've seen I'm not convinced any are ready for SG1 yet, although given the games he gets Tim Robinson is clearly well liked.

I still don't really see the problem though. Someone on a full time salary with no other job to exact it's demands on them should be capable of being 4th official on two consecutive days, or even 4th on Saturday and in the middle on Sunday. In the unlikely event that he ends up on the pitch on the Saturday they just change the Sunday appointment.

Back