A&H

Junior/Youth Should I book manager

tylerjames2001

Level 7 Referee
Was doing a game today at u11 where the away team manager was giving constant stick for every decision, then starts saying stuff like oh I know the home team knows you but you could give us one aswell and telling his players at half time they were gunna get nothing from me and that I was all for the home team. I ignored him for a while but i though about giving a caution and taking his name, should I have done this or is ignoring it just the best thing to do.

The Referee Store
Was doing a game today at u11 where the away team manager was giving constant stick for every decision, then starts saying stuff like oh I know the home team knows you but you could give us one aswell and telling his players at half time they were gunna get nothing from me and that I was all for the home team. I ignored him for a while but i though about giving a caution and taking his name, should I have done this or is ignoring it just the best thing to do.
Context is important, but try and speak to the manager first and if they don’t listen, use your cards. I’d definitely be having a strong word (or cautioning, depending on context like how loudly it was said, etc) after that comment about knowing the home team, as it’s questioning your integrity

Yeah that's what I was thinking I didnt mind the odd free kick ref shout but once he started telling his players I was all for the other team as i was walking past I didnt appreciate at all, something to take into any future games

It's always tricky with youth football as there's almost an expectation of relaxed rules, but never in a way that is clearly and easily defined.

Having said that, those U11's are in the process of learning how to play football - it's an excellent opportunity to teach them that undermining the integrity of the referee is not on. Ignoring it is 100% the wrong thing to do, all that will happen then if he'll think he's been given free reign to keep on going. If you just ignore him, not only are you going to have to put up with it for the rest of the match, the referee next week will also be getting it in the neck as soon as any decision goes against this manager. You have the power to do something about it.

Do you caution or do you have a word and give him a chance to avoid the humiliation of a yellow card for poor behaviour in a U11's match? That's entirely your call - if you think you can manage it with words, then feel free to do so. However from what you've described, there's absolutely enough there fore a caution. If that's the route you go down, same as any player - get the information you need, show the card and get on with the game.

Unless the initial time you hear it is so bad that you need to go for your cards, I'd suggest heading over there to speak with the coach first.

You go over and are really clear that they are getting up towards a level that is not acceptable and if they don't stop you will take appropriate action. At this point it's important not to get into a debate with them about specific decisions, just simply make the statement about their behaviour and that you would be willing to discuss specific decisions after the game.

Once you've done that the ball is really in their court. They can take the warning and modify their behaviour accordingly, or if they ignore it and continue, then when you head back over and give them a card, no one is surprised.

Nipping it in the bud is the important thing, if not it can spread to both benches, players and at junior levels parents as well.

Firstly, don't mistake an appeal for a disagreement or dissent. An appeal is asking for a decision in a non aggressive way and not going on with it. You can ignore appeals but you can't ignore public disagreements or dissent. You must take action against them. If your first action is when it has become constant it is too late and very difficult to bring him back in line.

Ask him to behave first if it's not bad enough for a caution or send off. Next one can be a strong warning if you are feeling generous but it's usually a caution. If he continues it's a second caution.

This of course is not easy to execute for younger or newer referees but becomes easier with experience.

You have to deal with it early on (as already advised).

To be honest, I find it quite disconcerting that an adult (coach) can get wound up or even slightly partisan over a bunch of bloody 10 year olds kicking a ball about. :rolleyes:

I'm guessing the clue to how old you are is in your username Tyler, in which case, you're old enough to be able to go over to him, pull him to one side (out of ear shot of anybody else) and just say something like "Listen mate, these are 10 year kids we're dealing with here!! I'm refereeing as best and as fairly as I can so if you distract me or abuse me any more from this point - I'll take action against you in accordance with the LOTG okay? No more please!!"

Once you make your feelings and intentions known early on, he then has to worry about them and cover his own arse and reputation as a coach. :)

Lot of good advice here. I don’t know how it works where you are, but in our younger games, many of the coaches just don’t know what appropriate behavior is in a youth game. It’s our job to teach them, using little pieces of plastic as needed. I think the change to showing card to coaches is a godsend at these levels. The yellow card makes it really clear, where the talking tos didn’t necessarily (especially as many of them thought they could be carded, so when they were tossed without ever getting a card were perplexed). In my view coaches get less slack to be knuckleheads I. Young games, not more.

You have to deal with it early on (as already advised).

To be honest, I find it quite disconcerting that an adult (coach) can get wound up or even slightly partisan over a bunch of bloody 10 year olds kicking a ball about. :rolleyes:

I'm guessing the clue to how old you are is in your username Tyler, in which case, you're old enough to be able to go over to him, pull him to one side (out of ear shot of anybody else) and just say something like "Listen mate, these are 10 year kids we're dealing with here!! I'm refereeing as best and as fairly as I can so if you distract me or abuse me any more from this point - I'll take action against you in accordance with the LOTG okay? No more please!!"

Once you make your feelings and intentions known early on, he then has to worry about them and cover his own arse and reputation as a coach. :)
Yeag the first thing is what I was thinking its u11 sunday league not the world cup they scored a winner with 5 mins left and he started cheering about like they'd just won the fa cup was a bit over the top in its self tbh

When I encounter youth coaches who behave like this I challenge it by first saying to them just let me ref the game .

Second I stop play at the next stoppage and make a point of going over to them and tell them that if it continues then they will be cautioned, potentially red carded and that the game could even be abandoned which nobody wants. That usually works.

IFAB has empowered referees to caution and send off technical area occupants for precisely this reason. In the past, our only option was to ask, tell, remove, but we now have the authority to make a public, visible signal to everyone around that enough is enough.

Important things to consider: are the comments public, and/or are they persistent? By the sounds of it, the coach was definitely persistent with his comments but how public was he? The half-time team talk is his prerogative and I'm happy to let him moan about me as much as he wants during that time. But his comments during the match have got to be addressed. The first time he makes a comment, I would ignore him. The second time, I would stop the next restart of play from happening and give him a caution while clearly signaling to anyone watching that it is for the persistent dissent. If he doesn't stop at that, then the third comment is a second caution and an early day.

The second time, I would stop the next restart of play from happening and give him a caution while clearly signaling to anyone watching that it is for the persistent dissent.
There is no such thing as "persistent dissent" (especially if it's the first caution). First dissent is a caution for dissent. Second dissent is second caution and gone. As you correctly pointed out in another post in a different thread, if you consider it dissent you caution, if you don't caution then you don't consider it dissent.

There is no such thing as "persistent dissent" (especially if it's the first caution). First dissent is a caution for dissent. Second dissent is second caution and gone. As you correctly pointed out in another post in a different thread, if you consider it dissent you caution, if you don't caution then you don't consider it dissent.

Yeah, I should have said "persistent comments" rather than "persistent dissent."

Back