A&H

Should I have given the goal?

ref144

Level 7 Referee
A couple months ago I gave an indirect free kick in the attackers half when it was supposed to have been direct. The attacking team score the free kick and I give a goal kick because I originally gave an indirect free kick and explicitly told the players it was indirect. Should I have given the goal?

The Referee Store
You just can't give a goal.
There's a high chance when telling everyone it's indirect the keeper lets it go in knowing it can't be a goal to then say actually it's direct and it's a goal is not a available solution.
Once play restarts that's it, the error is made and there is nought you can do, in law, to fix it.
At a push you could do a retake, but then everyone is going to be a p**sed.

What was the reason you awarded a free kick?

Did you ‘signal’ that it was indirect by raising your arm? If not, the kick can be retaken. Can you then say it’s direct? Probably not.

Just learn the lesson. I’ve had to chalk a goal off by not raising my arm (just forgot). Never did it again.

Just learn the lesson. I’ve had to chalk a goal off by not raising my arm (just forgot). Never did it again.
I assume you mean had to order a retake, given that arm up or down, a goal can't be scored from an idfk either way 🙂

You just can't give a goal.
There's a high chance when telling everyone it's indirect the keeper lets it go in knowing it can't be a goal to then say actually it's direct and it's a goal is not a available solution.
Once play restarts that's it, the error is made and there is nought you can do, in law, to fix it.
At a push you could do a retake, but then everyone is going to be a p**sed.
Agree with James here, having told everyone basically it’s indirect to give a goal is a bit mental especially if we talking county prem / supply league level, so safest way is give the goal kick - and sell it that it’s defo a indirect free kick 😝

Back