A&H

Sin Bin question (again)

Can anybody explain the thinking behind letting a player committing dissent twice being replaced once they have served their second sin bin?

How does this benefit the non-offending team?

The Referee Store
The thinking is that dissent is against the referee and not the non-offending team. So there is no requirement for the opponents to benefit from it (to re-balance the game).
Its is also designed to minimise the occurrence of dissent. The player and his team are punished significantly by having one less player for 10 minutes after the first offence (peer pressure). After the 2nd offence although the player shouldn't play anymore if he hasn't learnt his lesson, his team playing the rest of the game down one player is somewhat excessive, so he can be replaced after ten minutes.

You may not agree with it but that is the reason (what I think anyway).

Can anybody explain the thinking behind letting a player committing dissent twice being replaced once they have served their second sin bin?

How does this benefit the non-offending team?
The non-offending team are benefited for at least 20 minutes for both sin bins so they benefit more in the short term anyway, but it's not designed to help the non offending team, it's designed to stop the offender from playing in an attempt to eradicate it from the game altogether

The non-offending team are benefited for at least 20 minutes for both sin bins so they benefit more in the short term anyway, but it's not designed to help the non offending team, it's designed to stop the offender from playing in an attempt to eradicate it from the game altogether
I see your thinking BUT when a player is sent off for any other yellow card offences the non-offending team gets a permanent advantage. Under this they get a temporary advantage.

Are we going down a route where a player sent off for 2 non-dissent yellow card offences are also going to get replaced?

Committing yellow card offences is not helping your team but they will get a replacement when you have done two sin bins.

Why not make this the rule for all 2 yellow card send offs? Is this the start of something?

Here in France, a 2nd Sin Bin offence is treated as a 2nd Yellow, so becomes a Red. Also any Sin Bin offence followed by a Yellow Card offence is treated as 2nd Yellow. Conversely, a Yellow followed by Sin Bin offence still only gives the 10 minutes!

I see your thinking BUT when a player is sent off for any other yellow card offences the non-offending team gets a permanent advantage. Under this they get a temporary advantage.

Are we going down a route where a player sent off for 2 non-dissent yellow card offences are also going to get replaced?

Committing yellow card offences is not helping your team but they will get a replacement when you have done two sin bins.

Why not make this the rule for all 2 yellow card send offs? Is this the start of something?

The idea behind the sin bin isn’t to benefit the opposition, it’s to make the individual learn a lesson. The reason it only applies to dissent is because that is an incident directly towards a referee by a player, something the FA wants to see the end of so by giving them a direct consequence, they will bit hit with a worse punishment at the exact moment they commit the offence rather then just a 10 quid fine in the middle of week.

I don’t know the percentage of second yellows shown per game but it isn’t many. A player on the pitch who receives a caution without a sin bin would accept that and just move on, but they haven’t learnt a lesson. The player would much rather take that, than have to sit out 10 minutes of a match and be hated by their team.

I have just started refereeing in a new league that are trialing the sin bin and the main problem im having with the sin bin law is that most players,coaches and spectator dont understand the law so they keep questioning me and accusing me of making things up.

Why cant they introduce a third colour card for the sin bin like (Blue card)

I have just started refereeing in a new league that are trialing the sin bin and the main problem im having with the sin bin law is that most players,coaches and spectator dont understand the law so they keep questioning me and accusing me of making things up.

My County FA forced all club chairman and Secs to attend a briefing for the Sin bin, along with all referee's. Failure to attend resulting in no fixtures being assigned to that club or referee.

I do agree about the cards though. I think it's a poor error of judgement to just use yellows as it's confusing for spectators and any players who aren't aware of the rules properly

They will soon learn the rules when it costs them games

I referee in two leagues, one with sin bin and the other without, and I cant wait for the sin bin to come in. The league with, Ive used it once all season and there’s been a substantional drop in dissent. Yesterday in the league without, I gave 4 (FOUR!) bookings for dissent to one team with one player even saying ‘couldn’t give a s***t about cards ref, I get them all the time’. Pretty sure there would be a complete attitude change if he had 10 minutes out and I’m almost certain there wouldn’t have been 4 dissent cards to one side

We all should be studying theses documents as we all will be using them next season, apart from the big boys on this forum:)
If 5 players of the same team are in the sin bin does that mean we abandon the game, l.o.t.g
No fewer than 7 players on t.f.o.p. Just a thought 🧐

Had this happen to me this season (here we have a minimum of 8 players).

I had already issued 2 red cards, and then a 2nd yellow to the same player (another red) and the team were down to 8. 10 minutes to go and the elder of the team, decided he would call me out and really laid into me for the 2nd yellow (simulation, and a very easy decision) and I tried to calm him down but he decided he wanted his say. So I waved our white card (Sin Bin Card) and he trudged off. I abandoned the game, score 1-1.

I was observed, and congratulated!

At the commission I was complimented on my correct decisions and they also awarded the match to the opposition.

So here, below the allowed minimum with players in the sin bin, match abandoned.

Back